Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:26 pm 

YepYep wrote:
keep trying and figure out what happened by yourself....

And for your coffee shots, I might introduce a new word to you if you didn't hear it before.

Usually we pick up a gun, the first a few shots will not be good shots because just like you cold started your car in the morning, it needs a little time to get back to the good working order. In an air gun, the first a few shots may be shooting higher or lower, anyway, won't be same as the 10th/20th shot afterwards....

If you anyway need to modify your shooting habit, there's not a problem at all to improve one more thing on the list~
What's the word? It's just a bunch of shots. Yeah, those were the 15th or 20th shots in that little session. I was shooting Destroyer, not so accurate and went back to Super-H.

But what I'm learning from these little experiments is about hold, what these rifles want

.177 Cometa Fusion, Vantage 3-9x40
.177 Cometa Fenix LT, Endurance 4-16x50
.22 Cometa Fenix, Airmax 3-9x40

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:28 pm 

eSteve wrote:

And yes, Bobcat! Look! Like your cat. They’re quite timid, not seen too much. Have bigger paws

Well~ that bobcat is a real hunter~ I believe mine is called LiHua? The Chinese domestic cat... A little like the tabby... And she's the true timid one and very friendly... :)Image

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:33 pm 

eSteve wrote:
What's the word? It's just a bunch of shots. Yeah, those were the 15th or 20th shots in that little session. I was shooting Destroyer, not so accurate and went back to Super-H.

But what I'm learning from these little experiments is about hold, what these rifles want

Yep, I wrote the word for you already... it's 'sighter', especially tells the first a few shots from your gun after resting for a while...

If it's not the first a few shots, it's not the sighter's fault. And you did get a result in your holds experiment...

~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:09 am 

Ok, I've just had a longish session with the Phantom and the no-hold hold experiment. It works very well with the Phantom. Just a little thumb on the back of the grip to balance out the trigger pull. Incredible. It helps to have more magnification, the scope is set to 6x. I'm finding 17m to be a bit too far for 4x magnification and my eyes.

I took a few shots with the Optimus, too. It may want a bit more input. I'll see about that

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 5:58 am 

eSteve wrote:
I'm finding 17m to be a bit too far for 4x magnification and my eyes.

That definitely is!

Remember you are now 'target (bullseye) shooting, not hunting. IMO, 6x is not enough either. For 17M, I will go at least 10x, otherwise even the cross-hair would block the bullseye, so how to stack pellet on pellet ? ;)

Last night, I just realized this again and see why those 'guys' (chaps) use scope like 6-24x56mm.... :eek: I picked up my 2240 to re-crown the muzzle and test fire. Because its big scope (3-12x42) was put to my new rifle, I put a 4x32 on it and maybe the crosshair is a big thick, I barely unable to use it to see the circle I draw on the pop can which a little bigger than the pellet itself and which was not a problem at all in usual as I use 10x power usually.... And it's just talking 9yards in my basement... And you are shooting almost double the distance than me...

Looks we found something else not on your list before?! [emoji38] you just need a new scope with fine reticles and bigger power??

~Target~

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:12 am 

I also have the same scope and it gives me no problem, maybe you should try in on another rifle, I think it will work better.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:13 pm 

YepYep wrote:
6x is not enough either. For 17M, I will go at least 10x

Looks we found something else not on your list before?! you just need a new scope with fine reticles and bigger power??
Yep, I think perhaps my eyes are a bit younger, 6x is working fine for 17m. My other 2 scopes are fixed at 4X, the Hawke juust cuts it but the CP definitely needs replacement. I have started looking but my needs are more modest than yours, I'm looking at a Hawke 2-7x32 AO but one of their air rifle specific models, an Airmax.

I was shooting 13m last night, I'm going to be doing that more and the Hawke 4x32 was dandy for that. I think I'm going to be taking my targets outside soon, I'm going to be shooting 28m. I'm saving the last 3x magnification on the 40mm for that.

But it's about the hold not the scope. I've tried to take myself out of it and see what these rifles can do, now I'm bringing myself back into it. The Phantom is shooting really well, needs almost no input. Just a nice, linear trigger pull. The Optimus has always been a little jumpy, wants a little push from the back. The WF shoots straight on it's own too but may also need help, I'm gonna have to shoot it more and find out.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:20 pm 

Just467 wrote:
I also have the same scope and it gives me no problem, maybe you should try in on another rifle, I think it will work better.
The Hawke scopes are great, very good. The CenterPoint is only enough to get a rifle started and then needs replacement.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:07 am 
Site Moderator

The Leapers 3-9x32mmAO is another scope worth looking at. I have two of them on springers and also a Leapers 4x32AO on a nitro-piston. The 32mm front bell allows you to get the scope mounted low for a good cheek position on the stock. The 3-9 version has mildots that I use to aim at longer distances.

https://www.canadashootingsupply.ca/lea ... rings.html

You can experiment with the firmness and position of your front rest. A 2.5" to 3" wide contact point is enough. Put a piece of tape on your stock so you get the rest in the same position for every shot. Some rifles prefer a certain pressure point on the forestock so try changing the rest placement to see what happens to the groups. Some rifles like a soft rest but not bouncy. You can easily make a rest from some 2x4s and padding. Compressed foam padding usually works fine. I use a rabbit-ear sandbag at the rear. A very light shoulder pressure on the buttstock often works for accuracy.

Mild springers often shoot fine with any rest firmness. When shooting at 10m my HW30S didn't care if I held it firm or loose. A powerful springer can be sensitive, especially if it's a light rifle. Sometimes it might not like a rear bag rest. The "artillery hold" (light hold) allows the rifle to move during recoil and often helps with achieving top accuracy. When offhand shooting I always use a light hold on the grip with an open hand on the forend so the forestock just sits on my palm without lateral interference from thumb or fingers.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:42 pm 

TCooper wrote:
The Leapers 3-9x32mmAO is another scope worth looking at. I have two of them on springers and also a Leapers 4x32AO on a nitro-piston. The 32mm front bell allows you to get the scope mounted low for a good cheek position on the stock. The 3-9 version has mildots that I use to aim at longer distances.

A very light shoulder pressure on the buttstock often works for accuracy.

The "artillery hold" (light hold) allows the rifle to move during recoil and often helps with achieving top accuracy.
Thanks. I’ll look at the Leapers 3-9 at Canada Shooting Supply. Could work out, I need to buy a part for my WF600 from there. Yeah, I’m good with 32mm. The reason I got a 40mm scope was because I had a pair of high rings. But I like some magnification.

I had a little breakthrough with accuracy and the bench rest this week. It almost felt like cheating. A very light shoulder? That’s my Optimus, for sure.

I’ve only shot a few pellets offhand, one time. I liked it. Yes, the artillery hold.

I just took it outside this week, sort of the first time since I got serious. AO on the scope was real good. 2 mil dot difference in elevation on the scope reticle, from 17m indoors to 29m outdoors.

Attachments:
IMG_0498 copy.JPG
IMG_0498 copy.JPG [ 352.88 KiB | Viewed 355 times ]
IMG_0496 copy.JPG
IMG_0496 copy.JPG [ 239.61 KiB | Viewed 355 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:35 am 

Scope power is pretty much a subjective thing. Years ago, (many years ago) I had a 10X fixed power scope for ground hog shooting with my 6.5 magnum in South Western Ontario.
With it, I shot ground hogs out to about 410yards. I had an early range finder that seemed to work, sometimes if the light was particularly good. Back then, we thought 10X was the
Cat's Meow for high powered scopes. The odd guy had a 4-12 - WOW! There were no scopes with more than 3X magnification increase.

With 4X scopes, we shot 1/4" to 3/8" groups at 50yards and 3/4" to 1" groups at 100yards (before metric) with our big game hunting rifles, and 1/2" groups with match rifles having 12X
fixed power scopes.
Times have changed now, to where we put 24" scopes on air rifles to shoot 50/75yards. I even have an 8-32X40 on my .222 Sako which has an effective range on ground squirrels to about
350yards.
Times certainly have changed in what we feel, "one" needs.
This is just an observation.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:28 pm 

Yep~ and I found it also petty much based on your target and your purpose...

I don't have a long range in the basement, so I try shooting smaller targets and what I prefer currently as a plinker, I shoot the small circles I draw on the pop can which about the size of my pellet (if too big, too easy, if too small, I don't know I hit right in the bullseye or not)... If the power of the scope is too weak, like less than 4x, 6x, the crossed hair would block the circle I draw (it's not related to my aging eye but just a physical fact like I can use my finger tip to block the sun...)...

And when I tried 10x... Well, looks I can't go back now... Anyway I mostly shoot rested, bigger power won't be affected by my wobble hands like free standing.... So, why not make the shooting more relaxing ~ Image

~Target~

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:55 pm 

Daryl wrote:
Times certainly have changed in what we feel "one" needs.
True. I think I'm keeping it real, tho. I'm rooted pretty deep in the low end of air rifling, that's for sure. Learning to shoot these things. And it may involve another scope.

The Leapers 3-9x32 AO I was looking at at CSS is sold out there, so are other ones that might work. I'm thinking of the Hawke Vantage 2-7x32 AO IR. An illuminated reticle might be a nice addition to the group.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:58 pm 

YepYep wrote:
I don't have a long range in the basement, so I try shooting smaller targets

And when I tried 10x... Well, looks I can't go back now... So, why not make the shooting more relaxing
Yes, absolutely. Yep, looks like some fun shooting there

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:41 pm 

I was driving down a country road in South Western Ontario one day and couldn't help but notice the felt-penned circles on some new fence posts. I stopped and looked closer and every post had a circle with a .22 cal hole exactly (or close to it) in the middle of the circle. After a while I came across a young lad with a .22 rifle in his hands. He was just walking back up to the gravel road. I aske him if he was the person shooting the fence posts & he said yes. I told him that was incredible shooting, and "how do you do it". He said like this: and fired into the next fence post, then walked over to the post, took a marker out of his pocket and drew a circle around the hole. :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next