Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:53 pm 

As previously mentioned, I have been contacted a couple of times by representatives of my local MP for my opinions on how the government is doing.

In both cases I brought up the proposed airgun ban in Bill C-21. On both occasions, the representatives were unaware that the Bill proposed banning most replica airgun. Both said they would have the MP contact me.

Since these calls were in Feb. & Mar. the matter slipped my mind.

But then today, I got a call from my local MP. He was previously a Cabinet Minister, but due to health issues is now just a senior caucus member.

He said he was advised that I had an issue that I wished to discuss with him.

I thanked him for calling. I went to discuss Bill C-21. He was unaware that the Bill contained legislation to prohibit most replica airguns, airsoft & paintball guns. The information he received about the Bill, did not mention the airgun ban. I went on to describe the effect it would have on the airsoft & paintball sports, and that the ban would probably prohibit most airguns, kids have been using for years. Even the iconic Red Ryder might be banned.

I advised that the ban would probably not have the desired effect on reducing gun crime in Canada.

In an effort to provide full disclosure and both side of the argument for the ban, I did advise that the ban probably came about from the increased number of airguns being used in crimes and that police are not being able to quickly distinguish between a real fiream & replica airguns.

I proposed a solution that would still give the government control over the matter, with out an out right ban. I suggested a lesser form of PAL for airguns, which would allow responsible airgun ownership, but still give control over who can legally have them.

That sounded like a reasonable solution to him, and he would look into matter further, and bring it up with the Liberal Caucus.

I also directed him to go to the local Cabela's (which is located in his riding) and see the number of airguns & airsoft that there is, and the economic impact a ban would have.

Hopefully, this will have some effect on Bill C-21, before it is put into law.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:50 am 

Thanks and that's a good news!!

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:58 am 

Well done!

Nothing works and I don't know why.

Two lathes and too many projects

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:23 am 

I thought of the airgun licence too, but it would be very expensive and difficult to introduce over something that hasn't be regulated thus far. It would have to be more of just a registration, instead of a full license with training like the PAL is now. Because of the non-lethal threat of a BB gun, it might be able to be done online or something similar. Maybe even like the boating licenses here, online presentation, online testing, etc. That would allow for keeping track of who owns these things, while saving money to create the process. Plus giving the licensee a pass for using, transporting, carrying(yeah right)..

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:14 am 

BB1Shooter wrote:

In an effort to provide full disclosure and both side of the argument for the ban, I did advise that the ban probably came about from the increased number of airguns being used in crimes and that police are not being able to quickly distinguish between a real fiream & replica airguns.

I proposed a solution that would still give the government control over the matter, with out an out right ban. I suggested a lesser form of PAL for airguns, which would allow responsible airgun ownership, but still give control over who can legally have them.

As with all current forms of "gun control" in this country, none of this impacts the animals within our society (aka criminals) in the least.

How will introducing a "lesser" PAL solve any issues? Will it keep airguns out of the hands of criminals? Did making some firearms prohibited keep them away from criminals? I just cannot follow your logic here, and am left shaking my head in disbelief that you would actually suggest such a thing as potential legislation. You do not introduce legislation that limits the majority in order to save one or two...that's the logic being applied with these useless "lockdowns", and is IMHO utter stupidity.

If you point a gun at the police (this should IMHO be "at anyone")...it is reasonable, if occasionally tragic for them to end your life...period...no exceptions.

Al

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:59 am 

I sent out emails to several MPs, mine is a Conservative so their response was to ask for more money. The NDP never answered and the Liberal used some canned jargon and it was obvious he had drank the koolaid and saw no reason to discuss the matter.
Im not hopeful.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:27 pm 

Why not just require a pal for any long airgun? And an rpal for
Any air pistol. Prohibs get prohibited like normal and life goes on.

No law will ever effectively deter Joe blow, whom so wants a gun badly enough that he will break laws to obtain one.

I try to avoid these political posts. I have a hard time keeping my mouth shut. But I will agree with Al, pointing guns at people? eye for an eye at that point.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:16 pm 

I'm with Al. Proposing more restrictions on law abiding people is what I thought we were against.

Criminals must get a real chuckle out of this and a measure of relief that they are not targeted once again.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:34 pm 

Yes! I agree~ processing more restrictions is useless as the criminal won't follow those restrictions to get their 'tools' to do the bad thing.

Maybe double or triple the jail time and fines for the firearms related offense that to be landed on the criminals?

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:11 pm 

Good job, BB1Shooter, at least we were herd. I sent letters to my MP, but got only standard response that our government cares about out safety and fighting gun crime. I think that any additional licensing will be just waste of money, but something is always better than nothing.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:23 pm 

killercrow wrote:

No law will ever effectively deter Joe blow, whom so wants a gun badly enough that he will break laws to obtain one.

I try to avoid these political posts. I have a hard time keeping my mouth shut. But I will agree with Al, pointing guns at people? eye for an eye at that point.

Oh no, please not RPAL for air pistols. If air pistols fall under restricted firearms category you'll have to keep them trigger locked in sturdy container, keep BBs not readily available, apply for transport permit, you will be allowed to discharge you air gun only in approved ranges, and it will be a criminal offence with mandatory minimum sentences if you break any of those rules. Not to mention that handguns have 10 rounds maximum magazine capacity and if you'll have to permanently pin all your handgun magazines to 10 BBs. And if they follow your advice you'll have to destroy all your full auto BB guns or go to jail.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:02 pm 

scanny wrote:
but something is always better than nothing.

Absolutely cannot go along with that. The government has proposed many somethings that have been much worse than nothing.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:08 pm 

killercrow wrote:

Then, my friend, why would you succumb to the bullsh1t, never mind suggesting it here, or to your MP or anywhere? The approach of, "please, please, please, let me keep my BB guns, pellet guns and airsoft guns" is just the approach Canadians are known for. We've got to grow some balls and stand up for the fact that any legislation related to classifications of firearms is useless because the first thing that is required is compliance. Criminals, even viewed through political logic (sic!) are frequently known for not complying to laws and regulations. Furthermore, any government that is classifying guns out of people's hands simply because they "look scary" needs to receive a great deal of attention from Canadians who don't share their "aesthetic preferences"). (Like seriously).

Call your Member of Parliament and tell them the Liberal Government looks pretty freakin' "scary" to you because they have, in the last four years, changed the program from "reducing firearm access to criminals," to, "Ooh, that's black, has a magazine, and looks like something our "expressive," liberal patriots would view as unacceptable."

Grow some balls, people; tell your M.P., no matter what political affiliation, that you've had enough of this sh1t: Canadian Firearm Owners are clearly the opposite to firearm criminals, and have had enough ineffective legislation that turns them into the criminals, and not the criminals into inmates.

Sorry, K.C. This is obviously a general response - not to you. However, on the more direct tact, not getting involved in "political" discussions is what's going to screw a generous percentage of Canadians in this issue, isn't it?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:25 pm 

You're totally right.
I sometimes struggle with putting what I'm really thinking to words, and sarcasm is a hard one to put into writing. I don't personally want and restrictions on pellet guns. Having them requiring a restricted license would be a death sentence to the hobby, I get that. But at the same time actually suggesting to our government representatives that maybe airguns need their own license, would almost definitely have them all classed as firearms, they would then be categorized as non restricted long guns, prohibs and restricted firearms. So no. We need less governing, not more.

Our government should be focusing on the root of the problem. Not the sum. Firearms safety training should be a mandatory program, implemented through the educational system, starting at an acceptable age and revisited periodically. They should also be teaching kids how taxes work, and bank accounts, and maybe some discipline too...
Someone recently mentioned they had mandatory military training through school. I still like that idea and think it would definitely be beneficial.

Canadians are known for being too nice. Apologies for being right, etc. It's a worldwide stereotype. Now pretty much every law abiding gun owner in the country has to fear that their lawfully obtained property might literally be stolen. By our government. The very organization that is supposed to protect us.
They are doing the opposite.they disarm us, alienate us in our own homes and keep us from gathering. I donno man. I agree. Scary times. But they got guns and we don't. :roll: and if we do have them, they know it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:30 pm 

A lesser pal version would be a good thing... more like the one day safety course you need to take in order to apply for the pal...

The goal is to make sure kids or anyone handle their airguns safely. And maybe learn the right habits for handling firearms in general..

The only problem i see is how retailers are going verify your card..

What are cops going to do if they see someone running around with an airgun without the safety course card.
Are they going to arrest the person? Or just giving a fine ticket...and take the airgun.

I had in mind something like :
0-200 fps... no card
201-700 fps : Firearm Safety card
700+ Fps. : Pal card

495 fps limit is stupid and not needed anymore ... if you do the firearm safety course you should be able to handle a 700 fps airgun safely.
Since anything above 700 fps can do serious injuries , a background check might be needed..

And 700 fps is actually strong enough for pest control. In the US , you can buy 700fps at walmart...

If i was pm , that would be my recommendation

Remington Express Hunter break barrel
KWA QRF mod 3 Airsoft
G&G SMC9 Airsoft
Amoeba Striker 1 Airsoft
KJW 1911 Airsoft

GX CS3 air compressor

Last edited by Error on Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:45 pm, edited 4 times in total.