Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:17 am 

I took the rifle out for its maiden voyage with both the short 16” LW barrel and the factory 24” barrel. I sighted in at 30 yards using the LW barrel first and it’s a really good shooter with ten shot groups just under 3/8” for the best and the average closer to 1/2” in a 10kph cross wind. Next up was the factory barrel with nothing more than a few dry patches pulled through the bore. With the same scope settings and same distance I was shooting 1” high but the groups were even better than the LW barrel. 3/8” were the norm. This was shooting the 25.4 grain kings. I’m pleased with how this rifle has turned out even with the slight change in plans. I’m going to keep it in the shorty format as I think it will do very well for a hunting rig and seeing as this barrel is a real shooter I think I’m going to fit it to the Impact.

I did some other slight tweaks to the rifle while I was in there. The pivot block for the sidelever had a bit of play as well as the pin on the lever. I made a brass bushing for the lever to take up the tiny bit of play and used a .01” plastic shim to remedy the block play. I may try to make a lighter hammer at one point but for now , she’s going up on the rack and I’m calling this one good to go.

I would recommend this rifle for the non tinkering type who wants a relatively simple rifle that’s easy to shoot and should last quite a while. If thinking of getting one from Wes , don’t forget to get some extra high rings for your scope. The comb is high and with lower rings it’s hard to get a good cheek weld.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:27 am 

Great to hear it's shooting well! With both barrels too! 8)

Interesting it was shooting 1" high with the Aselkon barrel. I wonder if it increased velocity that much or just that its a different barrel?

Sent from my SM-A515W using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:49 am 

Wes , I would say it’s due to the increase in velocity. I just measured the barrel and it won’t fit the Impact. I was hoping it would be 14mm OD but it’s at 14.6mm. And 21.5 “ long. As usual , I just can’t leave well enough alone. I’m in the process of making a lightweight hammer . :)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:08 pm 

Won't the heavier hammer be necessary for higher speeds?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:54 am 

Not necessarily Daryl, I tend to use 1 gram per FPE as a guideline for what the hammer weight should be. This one weighs in at over 80. quite a bit more than the rifle is able to produce power wise .

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:24 am 

OK - I understand, I think. Then, if you were tuning for slugs like the NOE 51gr. at say 850fps, you would need the heavy hammer (81.5fpe).

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:36 pm 

Yes and no Daryl. This is a regulated rifle so I don’t think I would ever need this much hammer weight to open the valve even at 180 bar. Now if this were a non regulated gun with a conventional valve using a full 200 bar and I was wanting to push a heavy for caliber projectile then yes a heavy hammer would be the right choice , maybe not 80 grams but definitely heavier than something in a low powered regulated application. If we look at an FX Impact for example , some guys are getting their 30 cals , to 130FPE with about a 30 gram hammer and regulated to 170 bar. Now all this stuff about hammer weight is only part of the puzzle. There’s also hammer springs and porting to take into account. The reason I use slightly heavier hammers ( compared to the norm) is because I don’t like to use too heavy of a hammer spring. I just don't enjoy having a hard cocking rifle , I find it harder on parts ( pins , levers etc) hope that makes some sense.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:29 pm 

Well explained - got it and well done.
The regulator changes everything. Maybe I'll study up on hammers (making/changing) for the MX9 coming.
I have access to a good lathe if need be. My little Standard Optical Company lathe is not quite suitable, but would work in a pinch.

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 7:35 am 

Congrats..

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 11:20 am 

Great stuff..

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 8:15 pm 

My 2 cents..
Choked barrel holds onto the pellets a bit longer which will put the shot higher. ?

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 1:04 pm 

A choked barrel has nothing to do with holding the pellet longer. The choke is nothing more than a tight spot at the muzzle end, I believe this is done by manufacturers to mask an improperly machined barrel with tight and lose spots. The change in POI I am getting is due to the 100 FPS increase in velocity which is reducing the arch of the pellet in flight.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:50 pm 

.25 cal pellets that show promise.
FX 25.4 gr
Predator Polymag 26 gr
Still have some to test. RWS dome and hp

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:11 pm 

Oops .it would just slow the projectile some.. I was thinking of weight of the bullet.