Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Mon May 17, 2021 9:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:34 pm 

I purchased my Beeman R9 in January 2019 and tested it on a Chrony on April 5/19 with the following results:

Test #1
Pellet JSB 8.44 – 4.52
Average velocity – 873.3 fps.
Extreme spread – 7.49 fps.
Standard Deviation – 2.44 fps.
Energy – 14.30 ft. lbs.

Test #2
Pellet Kaiser 8.64 - 4.51
Average velocity – 868.1 fps.
Extreme spread – 39.01 fps - (first shot was low @ 829.1fps.)
Standard deviation – 11.13 fps.
Energy – 13.89 ft. lbs.

In the past couple of years, I have shot 000’s of pellets and been extremely pleased with the accuracy and performance of this tack driver. I am currently planning on giving it to my niece as soon as restrictions are lifted and I can finally make another trip to my brothers. With this in mind, I today decided to retest with the following results: -

Test #3
Pellet – JSB 8.44 – 4.52
Average velocity – 808.2 fps.
Extreme spread – 8.55 fps.
Standard deviation – 2.64 fps.
Energy – 12.24 ft. lbs.

Test #4
Pellet – Kaiser - 8.64 – 4.51
Average velocity – 791.7 fps. – (7th shot was low @ 883.5 fps.)
Extreme spread – 13.47 fps.
Standard deviation – 3.74 fps.
Energy – 12.02 ft. lbs.

Test #5
Pellet- H/N FTT – 8.64 -4.50 (most pellets in this batch measure 4.54 or more)
Average velocity 773.6 fps.
Extreme spread – 10.19 fps.
Standard deviation 3.74 fps.
Energy – 11.48 ft. lbs.

While these tests show my BR9 is very consistent, it appears to have changed from 14 ft. lbs. of energy to 12 ft. lbs. and I’m wondering if this reduction is normal for a springer as it becomes broken in.

Pellets from tests 4 & 5 are by the same manufacturer and the same weight. The most noticeable differences being head size and I found it interesting that the tighter fitting pellets resulted in a slower speed.

Any other input/observations from these test will be appreciated.

Bill

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:27 pm 

How much did you shoot after buying the gun in January and chrony it in April?

I think usually after the first a few shots, the spring will be already set.

And then the coming a few hundred shots are good enough to call broken in (not only the spring, but also the whole setup of your gun) and then there should be not too much to keep breaking in for years... You might find the gun become more accurate then before, but I think that's because you getting used to this setup and it's rewarding you back...

If you shot a lot (thousands to a few thousands or a lot thousands...), I would say the spring because a little bit tired?!

But if you don't need that extra power, I don't bother to 'fix' it...

HW 40+Extender / Scoped P3 / 45 / 75
Russian Izzy 46M
2240 14" barrel carbine
Camo Chaser long barrel carbine
PP700SA long barrel carbine

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:00 pm 

Unfortunately, the only way to eliminate, no, reduce the pellet factor is to buy a lifetime supply from the same manufacturer, from the same manufacturing batch. Your minor loss of fpe can most certainly be attributed to your observed tighter fit in your breech. Depending upon the number of "000s" of pellets you've shot, it could also be attributed to minor spring tension loss, or even tiring seals. The point is, IMO, it's nothing serious - until it becomes serious :). You may want to replace seals before you give it to your niece, but instead/otherwise, I'm sure she will be thrilled with the tack-driver performance, and even more thrilled if you can make some to bring-it-back-to-life upgrades if it tires a bit more over the next couple of years.

Cheers.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:17 am 

Thanks for the input guys - helps to confirm my thinking.

YepYep - If I remember correctly I had not shot it much prior to the first test as I was wanting to see how it compared to manu specs and it came close considering the pellet I tested it with. it originally had a bark but soon quieted down after more use. I have no problem with the power at this level, as accuracy is my main concern and it is more accurate than I am, even from a bench. I'll now consider using pellets a bit lighter to maintain optimum fps.

My Diana 430L came as a 12 ft.lb. and I now want to re-test it to see if it has changed, although I have no reason to suspect that it has - so much to do so little time LOL.

Edmonton<500 - more lessons learned on pellet/gun variances. I was disappointed with the H/N FTT 8.64-450 when I tried them in the Beeman R9 and when I checked them on my pellet gage I found most were larger than 4.54 and not grouping well. I have since learned that my Diana 430L has a larger breech and actually prefers the JSB 8.44-4.53 and is grouping these larger H/N 8.64 in a reasonable manner so I'm now using them up in this gun.

This ol'dog just keeps learning new tricks with all the help from everyone on this site thanks again guys.

Bill

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:46 am 

Yep~ IMO your R8 is working very well~

For a higher muzzle speed, a lighter pellet usually helps, and sometimes a tighter pellet would do the same~

You will enjoy the new rounds of pellet testing jobs~ ;)

HW 40+Extender / Scoped P3 / 45 / 75
Russian Izzy 46M
2240 14" barrel carbine
Camo Chaser long barrel carbine
PP700SA long barrel carbine