Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:34 am 

Hi, new to the forum and first post ever.

I live in an area where i can not go outside and just target shoot in my backyard. so 90% of the time i'm shooting in my basement with a range of 10 to 14 meters. Been doing satisfactory with my Beeman Sportster .177 and Benjamin Classic .22 both at 495fps. However the grouping when i shoot at 14 yards are bad compared to my 10 yard groupings, better on the .22 but still not what i'd be happy with.

My Brother, who has a variety of guns, both Pellet and Bullet, and lives way out in the country has built himself an outdoor range for up to 75M of shooting fun.

So now i'm in the process of getting my PAL and would like to add a 800fps+ gun to my collection.

Been looking at PCP because i want a repeater but i think an 800fps+ gun in my 10 to 14m basement is overkill. why shoot 800fps+ at 14 meters when it would probably be just fine to shoot closer down to 500fps and get more shots out of the tank and crank it back up to max when i'm out at the range.

so now i need adjustable regulator and from what i read an adjustable hammer spring to make the most out of it.

as i mentioned in the Subject, i'm looking at an entry level PCP. so with hand pump and all the features i wanted at under $1,000

find a lot of reviews of US and UK guns on youtube but not so much of the guns that are available in Canada.

so a couple of the guns i'm looking at , although they don't all fill all my requirements is Air Venturi Avenger, Marauder, Discovery and a Gauntlet.

Never find video reviews of the Krals and other typical canadian air rifles.

So a few questions, am i crazy to expect all those features in a entry PCP? , should i just shoot 800fps+ inside and out and not worry about getting more shots per refill ? And finally, recommendations for such a rifle and where to buy? i have looked at the canadian suppliers post on this forum and went to every website. Not much to pick from that i am familiar with. Seems like everyone has the Umarex Gauntlet though, which is regulated but not adjustable ??

Thanks for any insight and advice.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:47 am 

Dealer's Corner: on this site is a good place to start. Wes @ airgunarchery.com Is where i started

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:52 am 

Buy a pump and 2 PCPs, tune one PCP for basement and one for 75 yd outdoors.
Look on the used section here and on other sites for used PCPs.
I think trying to make one gun work efficiently at the two extremes is asking too much.

))))----//----------==

Iacio, ergo sum

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:18 pm 

Dukemeister wrote:
Buy a pump and 2 PCPs, tune one PCP for basement and one for 75 yd outdoors.
Look on the used section here and on other sites for used PCPs.
I think trying to make one gun work efficiently at the two extremes is asking too much.
Yes~ this is a good idea.

Adjustable which just a selling point to me in advertising... You don't want your range time all in setting up or settling down the gun without really enjoying shooting the bullseye...

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:20 pm 

Before leadslinger chimes in, for outdoors get a .22 rimfire. Overall much cheaper and as or more accurate in the price range. I think Wes is a good option for a starter pcp. Can't go wrong there.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:32 pm 

The Gauntlet is adjustable, as there are U-tube movies to that effect - just not by twisting a dial.
My .22 Gauntlet got 44 good shots on a fill. It is now a little lower powdered as I have it on a 12 ounce CO2 btl.
It is very quiet for indoor shooting and is still very accurate & even more so, with cheap Crossman Pellets.
It is switchable, back and forth, from CO2 to compressed air. ON the 12 ounce btl. of CO2, it is good for 500
to 600shots.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:39 pm 

I shoot 1000+FPS upstairs of my house at 27 feet. Built my own pellet trap out of duct seal and 2 rows of steel with a one inch airspace between steel so if it goes through duct seal and 1st steel I will notice the noise difference. Never happened in 5 years of massive shooting so I doubt it ever will even go threw first steel . Then behind my whole setup I have a big steel wall so nothing can go out my attic roof. Better yet buy a Champion Bullet trap and shoot away. Even shooting close distance will help when you go out to shoot long distance. Air used is a different matter that I don't worry about. CHEERS!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:25 pm 

I have a 565 fps pcp .177 regulated rifle. It uses 17 rounds magazines.. it's the cometa lynx.. 565 fps.. thats not a typo. Even if it is rated 495 fps the chronograph shows 565 fps...

It is my first pcp.. it is more precise than any entry level co2 rifle i had tried..

Using vortex 4-16 scope Mine is set for 30 feet bullseyes... i just need to aim a little higher to bullseyes 75 feet.

At the shooting range i use Feinwerkbau air rifles.. i think they cost over few grands each..$ 3k-4k or something... those rifles belong to the shooting range..but i can use them freely. They are incredibly precise.. if the rifle doesn't move it can put the next pellet through the same hole over and over... it is way more precise than my regulated pcp which cost around $700 ( i paid $400 used)

If you choose pcp.. amazon has a nice compressor...$600-$700 ...they don't even require any maintenance..

Remington Express Hunter break barrel
KWA QRF mod 3 Airsoft
G&G SMC9 Airsoft
Amoeba Striker 1 Airsoft
KJW 1911 Airsoft

GX CS3 air compressor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:18 pm 

jckstrthmghty wrote:
Before leadslinger chimes in, for outdoors get a .22 rimfire. Overall much cheaper and as or more accurate in the price range. I think Wes is a good option for a starter pcp. Can't go wrong there.

It would appear to me that leadslinger has lost the "ching" in his chime. He hasn't posted in quite a while.:axe:?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:44 pm 

Yeah - I noticed that, too Murray! Hope all is well with him.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:51 pm 

Daryl wrote:
The Gauntlet is adjustable, as there are U-tube movies to that effect - just not by twisting a dial.
My .22 Gauntlet got 44 good shots on a fill. It is now a little lower powdered as I have it on a 12 ounce CO2 btl.
It is very quiet for indoor shooting and is still very accurate & even more so, with cheap Crossman Pellets.
It is switchable, back and forth, from CO2 to compressed air. ON the 12 ounce btl. of CO2, it is good for 500
to 600shots.

Thanks everyone for your comments.

Thanks Daryl, that's very interesting info. Can you send me any links to buy the CO2 BTL.

Sounds like I shoot CO2 in the basement for reduced fps/fpe and noise and have the HPA tank full for range shooting when I need the gun at max. It all sound perfect.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:03 pm 

If you’ve got up to $1000, consider the Benjamin Cayden, it’s adjustable externally and is as accurate as anything else I’ve ever shot. 470 FPS to 1001 FPS in adjustment, and it’s beautiful to boot. I’d post my video review but I’ve been asked not too by the forum staff.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:32 am 

Error wrote:
At the shooting range i use Feinwerkbau air rifles.. i think they cost over few grands each..$ 3k-4k or something... those rifles belong to the shooting range..but i can use them freely. They are incredibly precise.. if the rifle doesn't move it can put the next pellet through the same hole over and over... it is way more precise than my regulated pcp which cost around $700 ( i paid $400 used)

I would highly recommend a FWB PCP rifle if you could afford it but it's not cheap. Their "entry" level pcp rifle, the fwb500 is around $1800 cdn. At that price you might as well go up to the 800 basic so you can dryfire (more important practice than actually shooting pellets down range imo). Definitely not entry level pricing however they all can indeed put a pellet in the same exact hole at 10m over and over. If they don't during testing at the factory they are rejected and rebuilt until the accuracy meets their demanding standard.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:35 am 

Daryl wrote:
Yeah - I noticed that, too Murray! Hope all is well with him.

Hmm... yes, hope all is well on that front.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:50 pm 

A Diana Stormrider set to low power is great for indoors. Nice and short an light and gets lots of shots at 495fps.
I can detune one for you if you like. Or a Diana Trail Scout co2 is great for indoors as well and is already detuned.
For outdoors a pcp with a bit bigger tube is nice for high power and lots of shots, if you are planning to get a compressor.

Sent from my SM-A515W using Tapatalk