Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Re: Beef Brisket
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 3:13 pm 

walther wrote:
Your brisket looked amazing.

Thanks. I very had some good teachers. My wife and I are master, certified KCBS judges. We've made a lot of friends among the competitive bbq teams. We go out Friday night before the comp and have a few drinks with them. They've showed me how to trim and prep the meats but not the secret rub and injection recipes lol. I tell them the issues I'm having and they give suggestions s on possible solutions. It's amazing the amount of info you can get when you have a good bottle of bourbon from the duty free in your hand lol. Never a shortage of glasses or ice on Friday night.

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 7:06 pm 

Now there's another hobby I could sink my teeth into.
Do they have a website?

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 7:43 pm 

Edmonton<500 wrote:
Now there's another hobby I could sink my teeth into.
Do they have a website?

https://www.kcbs.us/index.php
There are contests all over the world. The bulk of the contests are in the US. We mainly judge in Ontario, Michigan and New York but have judged in the southern US, western Canada, England and Europe. We'll line up a couple contests and make a holiday of it. You get to judge some fantastic bbq but you also come across some less than desirable bbq. The biggest problem is we've become bbq snobs. Because we've had fantastic bbq we know what it is now. Most bbq restaurants in Canada don't measure up and I get upset when I have to pay a lot of money for poor bbq.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 11:33 am 

My wife attended an outdoor rib and brisket BQ in Kansas city, Kansas some years ago when on a Medical Computer Program trip to the parent company(who developed the program).
She said the BP was absolutely marvelous.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 12:50 pm 

A couple years ago a buddy and I toured to Montgomery Alabama to watch his son compete at the World Fire Combat Challenge. We ate bbq every day and sometimes twice a day. We ate everywhere from nice restaurants to guys set up 9n a corner in a small town with a smoker and a picnic table. I only had one meal that was so-so bbq. In the southern US you either serve good bbq or you don't stay open lol.

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 11:33 am 

With the covid deal, it's been a while since I've been there, but we have a Copper Pig Restaurant in town
that serves VERY good brisket and ribs, as well as an Irish Pub/restaurant The Black Clover, that serves what
they call Pot Roast, which is a joint with chunk of meat attached - tastes BQ'd & wonderful, which is possibly
BQ'd if they set up in the alley behind. lol

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 10:32 am 

"Good" bbq is relative to your exposure. When I took my first judging course we were served some burnt ribs. I thought they tasted great lol. The more we judged the more my palate changed. For competition we judge chicken, ribs, pork (pork butt) and brisket. A table of 6 judges gets 6 samples (6 teams) of meat to judge. We score each sample completely before moving to the second sample. After 4-5 contests you really start to get a good idea of what constitutes good bbq vs average vs poor. Now I prefer to cook my own vs buying at a restaurant. Now most of my bbq meat comes out pretty good. It's not high end competition good but I don't put the effort into it like they do. Don't get me wrong, I've had my share of bbq that was "edible" but not real enjoyable as I learned to cook bbq. I'm my own worst critic lol. It's just the wife and I so quite often extra brisket or pork is given to friends. They're always happy even if I'm not completely satisfied with it.

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 12:57 pm 

cwild1971 wrote:
2nd brisket. No Pina' Colada marinades. Salt, pepper and garlic only. Just took off smoker after 5hrs, will finish in BBQ to 200-205, then cooler until feeding time.

Tasting better without the added spices already. KISS.

Thanks for the help.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

Please explain the highlighted. 200-205 - is that the internal temperature of the meat you barbecue to? That seems high, even if in Fahrenheit degrees, let along Celcius degrees.

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 4:40 pm 

Here is a bit of an explanation for cooking brisket and other large cuts of meat to higher internal temperatures. It has to do with breaking down the collagen in the meat. Brisket should be cooked to "probe tender" with the temperatures just being a rough indictator.

https://www.scienceofcooking.com/meat/s ... 0to%20180F.
https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/show ... p?t=208809

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 5:19 pm 

TKS for the links, Rob.
Makes sense, now. I have always BQ'd to rare or M Rare good steaks and then pork chop/shoulder cuts
well done. Never a failure with those, but - have talked about briskets with my wife. Saw a film about
doing a brisket on the Big Green Egg. Was a couple years ago now, will have to re-watch it.

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 6:34 pm 

I cook on a Kamado Joe. Cooking brisket scared me because of the cost of the brisket and the fact I've had enough bad brisket at comps. I didn't want to spend a lot of money just to ruin it. I finally found a cheap brisket at a Walmart in Michigan on our way home from a comp. I tried and haven't looked back. Most have come out pretty good. The kamado style cookers seem to have less air flow so the meat doesn't get dried out. If you're cooking on an BGE you shouldn't have a problem. We've been seeing brisket on sale here from $3-$4/lb which is a good price. A 12-14 lb brisket is a good size to do. My first brisket was 19lb. It was way too big for the smoker. I had to fold it in half and hold it with skewers to cook it. I only seen the sale sticker and never thought of it fitting on the kamado lol. The bbq brethern site in one of the links is a fantastic place to research cooking bbq of any kind. There are a lot of competitive cooks on the site and they are pretty free with their help.

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 7:13 pm 

Had to look up the Kamado Joe - thought it was similar to BGE. I see they have a gas or charcoal. Interesting.
tks for ALL of the info. Won't be doing much this summer at the lake - fish - hogdogs, steaks - that's about it
and only on the RV-Q. That's the little unit on the back end of the trailer, behind the outdoor kitchen.

Attachments:
preimer18_34bhpr_odkitchen.jpg
preimer18_34bhpr_odkitchen.jpg [ 645.56 KiB | Viewed 461 times ]