Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:56 pm 

:D
Glad to see another one love this hobby!
Simply congratulations to your progress!!

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:35 pm 

YepYep wrote:
Glad to see another one love this hobby!
Simply congratulations to your progress!!
Yep, I'm loving it. Thanks!

.177 Cometa Fusion, Vantage 3-9x40
.177 Cometa Fenix LT, Endurance 4-16x50
.22 Cometa Fenix, Airmax 3-9x40

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:34 am 

I took my .177 Remington Express wood out to sight it in. I moved my range to a more sheltered area from the wind. I'm now shooting at 18 meters.
Note the targets from Steve.
Target 1 is the first target I shot. The rifle was zeroed for 35 meters, so it shot low. I messed around with raising the point of impact, not worrying about group size.
Target two shows a three shot group a little low, then a sight adjust to the two shots a little high.
Target three shows a five shot group at the same sight setting.
Target four is a five shot group after moving the point of impact two clicks down.
Targets A, B, and C were shot with the WF600 in .22. I shot a few extra shots into A and B trying out different pellets. Target C is a 5 shot group shot with H&N Sport.
The Remington was shooting H&N Sport in .177.
The other targets were me messing around with different pellets with the Remington.

Good to see you're hooked, Steve! I thought I'd post one of your targets you sent me. Now that stores are open, I can get a bunch of photocopies made rather than using up printer ink.

Attachments:
20210612_084825.jpg
20210612_084825.jpg [ 412.06 KiB | Viewed 418 times ]
20210612_080859.jpg
20210612_080859.jpg [ 469.73 KiB | Viewed 418 times ]

Nothing works and I don't know why.

Two lathes and too many projects

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:39 am 

ricksplace wrote:
I took my .177 Remington Express wood out to sight it in. I moved my range to a more sheltered area from the wind. I'm now shooting at 18 meters.
Note the targets from Steve.
Target 1 is the first target I shot. The rifle was zeroed for 35 meters, so it shot low. I messed around with raising the point of impact, not worrying about group size.
Target two shows a three shot group a little low, then a sight adjust to the two shots a little high.
Target three shows a five shot group at the same sight setting.
Target four is a five shot group after moving the point of impact two clicks down.
Targets A, B, and C were shot with the WF600 in .22. I shot a few extra shots into A and B trying out different pellets. Target C is a 5 shot group shot with H&N Sport.
The Remington was shooting H&N Sport in .177.
The other targets were me messing around with different pellets with the Remington.

Good to see you're hooked, Steve! I thought I'd post one of your targets you sent me. Now that stores are open, I can get a bunch of photocopies made rather than using up printer ink.
Thanks for posting, Rick. It’s great for me to see targets from other members, regular backyard shooters. It shows me how I stack up. And I’m going to have to have a look at that Remington.

I’ve just had my first go out in the yard at 29m. I liked it, gonna be doing that more. I don’t think I’m ready for the Chairgun app, tho. Ha.

Your pages definitely look better than mine. I’ve got a ways to go before hauling my sorry arse out of the low end.

I like seeing the progression from target to target. I find those target pages are real good for that, sort of organized. I was going to ask you, how you use those targets, how you go around the page. And now I see it. Cool.

Coincidentally, I shot a few of those .22 H+N Sport you sent me, just last night. They had a large diameter, sort of didn’t fit in the barrel of my Phantom so I shot them through the WF. My H+N book says 5.5mm but I think they’re bigger. I have H+N FTT which I know are 5.55mm, they’re snug but they fit in the barrel.

With the progress I’ve had holding the Optimus, I’m playing catch-up with the other two rifles. It’s going to take some shots to figure out how to hold the .22s.

I’m going to be shooting the Optimus today. Thinking of reinstalling the stock spacer, to return preload to normal for that powerplant. And then maybe going the other way and increasing preload, see what that does. And maybe do some chores around the house, too. Ha!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:01 pm 

eSteve wrote:
I’ve got a ways to go before hauling my sorry arse out of the low end.

I’m going to be shooting the Optimus today. Thinking of reinstalling the stock spacer, to return preload to normal for that powerplant. And then maybe going the other way and increasing preload, see what that does. And maybe do some chores around the house, too. Ha!
Ok, I’m quoting myself here. It was only 4 days ago! And I had to share this other page of targets.

Many chrony sessions yesterday while I was playing with preload. I managed to sort the scope and shoot these before bed last night.

I had no idea what I was getting into when I pulled my old Phantom .22 out of the closet back in January of this year. I knew a little more 6 weeks ago when I got this Optimus .177. I could still barely shoot, though. It’s been so much turning of screws, scopes on and off, pistons and springs in and out. I’ve made myself dizzy with it. Because I love learning. Ordering (and sharing) of parts and pellets. Shooting, more shooting, chrony sessions. Taking notes. And thinking about it, all the time: how do these frickin’ things work? Just doing stuff, with tools and my hands.

It’s taken me 5 months of fairly diligent effort to get to this point. And it’s just one rifle! I still have to figure out the other 2!

Anyway, the targets. What are we seeing? Flyers, not far now. Why? Sometimes I pull it aside a little (with one little finger!), or push it high with my shoulder, or don’t push enough and it falls. But mostly it’s because I linger over the trigger on some shots because I still have that long pull. I haven’t replaced the adjustment screw yet. I couldn’t shoot well enough, it wasn’t necessary. Everything in time. What else I wonder.

Anyway, 17m, 25 shots, 15 bulls, 21 inside the inch. So 60% bulls, 84% inside. Come the fall, I’ll be ready for something. We’ll see

Attachments:
IMG_0508 copy.JPG
IMG_0508 copy.JPG [ 155.44 KiB | Viewed 389 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:48 am 

Whoa. That bottom left target is da bomb!

"You have learned much, grasshopper" (apologies to Kung Fu, the series)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:06 am 

ricksplace wrote:
Ha! Does that make you the portly, blind monk or the tallish, smiley one? Cheers Rick

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:47 pm 

Speaking of series, has anyone watched "Sharpe's Rifles" ? I had forgotten it. It's just popped up in my YouTube feed. Years ago I watched all the DVDs available at my local library, long before I started shooting lots. Loved it:

"So, the chosen men, eh? Well . . I didn't choose ya." Yeah

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:06 pm 

eSteve wrote:
ricksplace wrote:
Ha! Does that make you the portly, blind monk or the tallish, smiley one? Cheers Rick

Portly? Not really, but I have packed on the "covid 10".
Blind? Pretty much! I can't see open sights anymore, and if I take off my glasses, I can't see anything farther than 3" from my eyeballs. But everything at 3" is razor sharp. Great for making small parts!
Smiley? Yeah, I smile a lot.
Tall? Nope. I was 5'10. I'm shrinking. Old age...

Thanks, Stephen, for letting us share your trip up the learning curve.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9