Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:45 pm 

That's actually a nice setup. I like it. I used a couple 2x4s as a saddle kinda, screwed down to my bench, and a harmonic balancer puller screwed onto the end of the bench :lol:
Then I figured it was too fiddly and ended up just doing it manually :lol:

I really do need to build something and I might borrow your idea.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:21 pm 

Yeah man, go wild

And I’ve done all the after-work stuff. I ran, I bought groceries, I ate a small mountain of food.

I’m relaxing now with my digital caliper, before I return to that beast of a rifle.

Ok, I’m gonna measure these things in chronological order, as opposed to chronographical, which we all enjoy very much.

So these are the reference dimensions of my other pieces.

Piston seal, old, uninstalled, used - - - - diameter - 1” ?

Piston seal, spare, uninstalled, new - - - diameter - .998”

Very scientific method I used to measure these things.

Piston seal, short piston, installed, barely used, 50 shots - - - diameter - .998”

I don’t know if I’m going to make it to the rifle tonight. I’m tired

Attachments:
IMG_0324 copy.JPG
IMG_0324 copy.JPG [ 234.47 KiB | Viewed 664 times ]

.177 Cometa Fusion, Vantage 3-9x40
.177 Cometa Fenix LT, Endurance 4-16x50
.22 Cometa Fenix, Airmax 3-9x40

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:35 pm 

Here's detail of the other side for you.

See how the rear section slides under the scope mount support? Keeps it from buckling, so the one clamp keeps it down.

Attachments:
IMG_0325 copy.JPG
IMG_0325 copy.JPG [ 164.86 KiB | Viewed 664 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:44 pm 

Hey Steve, my 2 bit theory--- the gun was stored for an excessive time in the cocked position [ evidenced by the bowed spring you noticed ],
the spring having taken on a new set, now fatigue's rapidly within just a string or two of shots, be great if someone close to you had their old
spring kicking around that you could borrow to test this theory. May want to ease up on all the tube sanding before you need to order an oversize
piston and seal, lol.
Great thread by the way, have to try the piston liner one day and like your spring compressor idea--cheers

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:50 pm 

gerrymax wrote:
Hey Steve, my 2 bit theory--- the gun was stored for an excessive time in the cocked position [ evidenced by the bowed spring you noticed ],
the spring having taken on a new set, now fatigue's rapidly within just a string or two of shots, be great if someone close to you had their old
spring kicking around that you could borrow to test this theory. May want to ease up on all the tube sanding before you need to order an oversize
piston and seal, lol.
Great thread by the way, have to try the piston liner one day and like your spring compressor idea--cheers

Thanks Gerry max, glad you like the thread.

I have a full power spring! I’ve been hesitant to push what I don’t understand any harder, but I agree, it’s time for a bigger hammer. Nothing to lose,

Cheers

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:13 pm 

killercrow wrote:
Skookum? :lol: by very definition, "looks strong but isn't."
Also, the place where I grew up has a place called skookumchuk just a little ways down the highway. There's a pulp mill there.
And it's in BC.

The Skookumchuk narrows is place where there is a drop in the water level a high tide. It's pretty dang cool if you're into white water rafting / surfing, it's a never ending wave.

https://youtu.be/MHQ3FJIbinI?t=47

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:44 pm 

Yeahhh, I do remember that. I never knew what it was called.
This is the one I mentioned.
Skookumchuck
https://maps.app.goo.gl/jsM4jd5HDGydjf8M9

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:11 pm 

First, I’d like to thank killercrow and Rick for sticking with me and offering so much thought and help through all this. What a crazy adventure!

But Gerry, you nailed it! I owe you a beer. I would have got there eventually but it was sure nice getting a little push in that direction today. I just had a hard time accepting that the spring could get that gutless.

Whew! What a ordeal! I don’t regret any of it though, I have a rifle! I made a piston liner in record time, I can open that sucker and swap parts in my sleep I’ve done it so many times. And I learned how to use my tools to polish the compression tube. I used 5 grits of paper in that thing! It’s smooth!

And please, before anyone outs me in public again for having a firearm, rest assured that I will be ordering a 495 fps spring immediately. I’ll only be shooting this rifle until the chamber oil burns off and the velocity settles.

Thanks again everyone for your interest and help, and I look forward to our discussion in the next thread.

Attachments:
IMG_0327 copy.JPG
IMG_0327 copy.JPG [ 194.29 KiB | Viewed 655 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:13 pm 

Hi Steve, Optimus is a great starter rifle with lots of potentials! You will not be disappointed. I got mine 7 years ago and learned a lot from it. It wasn't a sharp shooting machine when I got it, but with some cleaning and adjustments turns out it's much more accurate than I thought! With your efforts, your Optimus will become a laser gun in no time! Cheers!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:03 am 

oldspringerspring wrote:
With your efforts, your Optimus will become a laser gun in no time! Cheers!

Thanks oldspringer

It’s been fun. I’m wrestling with the centrepoint scope now

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:27 am 

Hey Steve, glad that problem seems to be solved, always nice [ and rare ] to call one right, lol.
Did you retain the original piston/liner with the new spring and how is the twang/harshness with the new spring now?--Cheers

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:37 am 

gerrymax wrote:
glad that problem seems to be solved, always nice [ and rare ] to call one right, lol.

Did you retain the original piston/liner with the new spring and how is the twang/harshness with the new spring now?--Cheers
Yeah Gerry!

Yes, retained original piston and liner.

Pre-liner, the rifle was a bit loud and twangy, and had quite a kick for .177, I’m used to Phantom .22.

The liner let it be much quieter and less twangy.

When I installed the strong spring, it was real loud, I thought it might be supersonic, dieseling I suppose, and a kick. This is the fastest I’ve shot. I noticed right away that I couldn’t hear the pellet impact, seemed simultaneous. I took 6 shots before the first chrony session. I think it relaxed a little by then. Quieter but still loud with a kick, the liner helps with this. But twang is kept down quite good.

This is compared to the Phantom, I suppose, the Optimus seems a bit excited. I’ve got to shoot the Phantom again and compare. I’m looking forward to see if I can get the Optimus to shoot straight. It’ll be nice to detune it again.

I ordered the B Spring last night, and a one-piece scope mount to get free shipping.

So the next little upgrade will be a Crosman one-piece mount, medium, on the Phantom. And I have a pair of Hawke Match Ring Mounts, high, to install on the Optimus. There ya go, all’s well.

Photo of the offending spring, you can just see its bend.

And there’s the pair of them

Attachments:
IMG_0347 copy.JPG
IMG_0347 copy.JPG [ 182.2 KiB | Viewed 636 times ]
IMG_0345 copy.JPG
IMG_0345 copy.JPG [ 158.08 KiB | Viewed 636 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:37 pm 

Adventures with zeroing CentrePoint 4x32 scope.

Grizzly 8.8 Match Pellets, 17m

Target .5, 1, 2 and 3 inch rings

Attachments:
IMG_0348 copy.JPG
IMG_0348 copy.JPG [ 152.63 KiB | Viewed 625 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:45 pm 

Adjustment of point of impact is obtained by moving an internal tube inside of the main scope tube. On good quality scopes, there are flat pieces of metal attached to the internal tube for the adjusters to ride on. On the entry level "freebie" scopes, those flat pieces are missing, so the adjusters ride directly on the tube with opposed spring pressure holding the tube in place. Take for example a change in elevation. You move the turret 6 clicks down and expect the point of impact to move straight down, only it doesn't. It changes the windage slightly because the windage adjuster that you didn't move rode the curved surface of the internal tube and that caused the change in windage. I have and use a few of those freebie scopes. You have to fiddle and futz with them until you get the point of impact where you want it. Sometimes a few knuckle raps on both turrets after an adjustment helps things to move. It's not unusual for there to be no change in point of impact with the first shot after an adjustment. The recoil of the first shot usually moves the tube and the next shot shows the adjustment. If your scope is set around the middle of the adjustment ranges, the effect is minimal. The farther your adjustments are from centre, the more pronounced the discrepancies will be.
Apologies if you already knew all this stuff.

Nothing works and I don't know why.

Two lathes and too many projects

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:27 pm 

I always tap on the adjustment cap with a rubber ended screw driver, a fired ctg. case or a finger knuckle after making each adjustment & before firing.
With some scopes, if you don't do that, you will see very little movement in the point of impact yet more movement if you fire another shot.(cheap scopes)
If you don't see much movement, then make another adjustment, by the time the inner tube settles, you will have made too much change and have to
reverse travel. The back and forth can be frustrating. Tapping the scope tube, or adjustment cap can save ammo and time.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next