Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:21 pm 

esteve:
Quote:
And please, before anyone outs me in public again for having a firearm, rest assured that I will be ordering a 495 fps spring immediately. I’ll only be shooting this rifle until the chamber oil burns off and the velocity settles.

Wasn't "calling you out," Stephen. I had no idea if you had a PAL or not, or even knew what it was. I was merely sharing information that, while not particularly helpful to your project, could save you a lot more grief than a poorly performing rifle.

Cheers. Interesting and entertaining thread.

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 6:37 am 

Piston Liner detail.

Not a ton of shots on these yet.

Medium Piston.

Long piston.

Attachments:
IMG_0354 copy.JPG
IMG_0354 copy.JPG [ 99.87 KiB | Viewed 596 times ]
IMG_0359 copy.JPG
IMG_0359 copy.JPG [ 104.86 KiB | Viewed 596 times ]

.177 Cometa Fusion, Vantage 3-9x40
.177 Cometa Fenix LT, Endurance 4-16x50
.22 Cometa Fenix, Airmax 3-9x40

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 9:08 am 

Hi Stephen.
I agree with Edmonton<500. The PAL thing comes up more for insurance purposes. We don't want to be known as a site that shows you how to convert a non-PAL firearm to a PAL-rated firearm, without possessing a PAL. Every newbie gets the same treatment; it's not personal. I thought the whole PAL thing was overemphasized too until it was explained in a post; then it made sense.

Nothing works and I don't know why.

Two lathes and too many projects

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 12:05 pm 

I was going to post another page of targets, because it shows something. And it’s fun, and cool!

But, I’m not going to. Nobody here seems to be able to see what they’re looking at, and just chat about it. I’m having great fun, great progress. Guys want to pick apart half-arsed efforts like it’s the gd olympics or something. And they have nothing to show, themselves. Weird.

Gotta keep a lid on all the good stuff, as usual. Anyway, enjoy

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 8:00 pm 

I got deliveries today, from D&L and Crosman.

I'm going to be busy for a while.

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 9:12 pm 

A lot of the guys here have been here a loooong while, and have seen these threads repeat themselves over and over again.
Some of us forgot how exciting it was when we first discovered all you can actually do to a cheap pellet gun.
Haven't seen many 2240 1377 threads these days... But when I joined back in 05 that was the big thing. Everyone was going nuts modding the cheap crosmans and getting some pretty awesome results. Cheap springers too, qb78s, something would come along and numerous posts on modding and figuring out and fine tuning on said gun would be everywhere.

Then we all got the spanking, no more illegal power mods and the like. Kids were turning their pellet guns into firearms and it got out of hand. So now it's frowned upon. Bringing non pal status guns to pal status is a red flag around here for a lot of guys, and you have to commend them doing their due diligence, warning of the possible repercussions and image in the public eye by practicing the art of such modifications :lol: but seriously, airguns are under a microscope right now.

So, don't take it to heart when something comes across as cynical or negative. Just keep doing what you enjoy. You likely won't find any better advice than here.

If and when I give any advice or pointers or warnings, it comes from personal experience. I either done it, broke it, or tried it.
I'll shut up now :lol:

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 9:53 am 

killercrow wrote:
Just keep doing what you enjoy. You likely won't find any better advice than here.

If and when I give any advice or pointers or warnings, it comes from personal experience. I either done it, broke it, or tried it.
I'll shut up now

Hey killer

Don't shut up, you're awesome.

Ok, the rifle.

It all went quite well. I think I have a pretty good picture of what I’ve got here.

I’m going to make one more little order from Crosman, should be good after that. I’m going to get some extra spacers and stuff. I have a question, first.

I’m going to review the forum for information but I’ll ask here, too. I’d like to add about 20 fps to this Optimus. Do I just add a spacer to increase preload? What dimension of spacer would offer this increase? What are good materials to make a spacer from? The spring I’m using has .125” wire.

Sorry, that’s 3 questions.

Thanks gents,

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 3:56 pm 

eSteve wrote:
I’d like to add about 20 fps to this Optimus. Do I just add a spacer to increase preload? What dimension of spacer would offer this increase? What are good materials to make a spacer from? The spring I’m using has .125” wire.

Thanks gents

Well, I’ve thought about it, and I read some threads from about 6 months to a year ago. I didn’t see any specific info about spacer material, and just a little info on how much exactly spacer dimension affects power.

One of the things I’m buying is an extra Rear Spacer, to cut up for power adjustment. I’ve thought that I would cut pieces from it and make one or two small spacers to increase preload, and use the remaining large piece to decrease preload sometime. That way the small spacers would have the same diameter and density as the original spacer. Might be fun that way

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 5:11 pm 

Keep us posted on successes or other, as the case may be.

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 6:05 pm 

More power eh... If you're handy enough you can make a shorter than short piston out of the long one. You can get a little bit more stroke out of it if you do it right. Then you can space it til you get coil bind. Instead of buying spacers, try throwing a washer or 2 in front of the top hat. You'll increase preload and piston weight at the same time. Worth a try anyway.
If you count the number of coils then multiply by the wire thickness you get total spring length at coil bind. Then figure how much room you have in total, that will give you an idea how much spacing you can use.

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 6:30 pm 

Just had a thought. If you space in front of the top hat you might bind on the spring guide. Maybe not a good idea.
But delrin is cheap and easy to machine. You can use it to make spacers

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 8:02 pm 

killercrow wrote:
More power eh... If you're handy enough you can make a shorter than short piston out of the long one.

It’s just 20 fps, nothing crazy.

I don’t think I’ll be weighting or unweighting the piston until I really know about it. I just want to make some small preload adjustment, at the back. There’s lots of starting points, even with just 3 pistons and 2 springs. I’m stoked.

The way I have it, the Optimus is shooting 475 fps, with the B Spring. I’d like to get it a little closer to 500 fps, if I can. With the D Spring, it’s shooting 600 fps. That preload adjustment would bring it up to around 620 fps, which lots of guys here say is a sweet spot for this calibre.

There ya go

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 8:41 pm 

I would estimate 590fps to 610fps is ultimate for a match rifle.
About a standard springer, I just don't know there is such a thing.
I know my HW97 @ 900fps shoots .2" groups at 20yards - with pellets it likes.
Getting a run of the mill springer to shoot well is indeed something to celebrate. :D

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 9:29 pm 

You can try a lighter pellet. Half a grain to a full grain lighter would do it I bet.

If your 3 rear guide blocks are different lengths allowing experimentation then by all means I would do that. Otherwise, easiest way I found a spacer for that specific gun, I think I used a lock washer. Put in the vise and straightened with some pliers.

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 12:52 am 

Daryl wrote:
I would estimate 590fps to 610fps is ultimate for a match rifle.
About a standard springer, I just don't know there is such a thing.
I know my HW97 @ 900fps shoots .2" groups at 20yards - with pellets it likes.
Getting a run of the mill springer to shoot well is indeed something to celebrate.
Here’s the Chrony session for that velocity. Fairly tight Standard Deviation. Does that say something?

I’m gonna sneak it up to 500 anyway, I could take out the spacer if I needed to.

Yes, it’s gonna take some time to see what this one likes best.

Attachments:
IMG_0367 copy.JPG
IMG_0367 copy.JPG [ 194.74 KiB | Viewed 485 times ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next