Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 8:15 pm 

Daryl wrote:
Washing the grizzly pellets should help with their accuracy by a good margin.

The Grizzly pellets are almost gone.

I washed one tin of pellets before. I don’t think I’ll be doing it again too soon.

.177 Cometa Fusion, Vantage 3-9x40
.177 Cometa Fenix LT, Endurance 4-16x50
.22 Cometa Fenix, Airmax 3-9x40

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 8:41 pm 

eSteve wrote:
YepYep wrote:
Mostly I’m shooting RWS and H+N, some JSB. I’m getting more JSB, for the .177.

Good pellet choices~ RWS usually comes in lighter weight and a little bit harder than HN and JSB and provides good quality pellets as the other two. The famous competition grade R10 are still my best choice for the pistols except a little bit too expensive now...

Because I live close enough to lower down the shipping cost from the forum store and the store carries most of the JSBs, I then have JSB my main pellets.

The Grizzly will be found in PA (Princess Auto, a very good tools and hardware store in Toronto. Not sure if any in the other side of the country)

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 8:43 pm 

Forgot to get the pellets back in before the sudden evening rain.... Now, just washed them the second time and wait for drying again... :eek:

Will do a comparison before and after wash when it dry out~

~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 9:24 am 

ricksplace wrote:
Thick washers can be stacked on the guide to give the preload you want.
I made spacers! Not the prettiest but should work. Just over 3/8 " worth.

Not sure when or if I'll need them, I had to make 'em tho!

Attachments:
IMG_0370 copy.JPG
IMG_0370 copy.JPG [ 323.81 KiB | Viewed 450 times ]

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 11:12 am 

Those look great. How'd you make 'em?

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 1:25 pm 

Daryl wrote:
Those look great. How'd you make 'em?
I wanted them to be the same diameter as the front of the (Back) Spring Guide (spacer).

I bought washers very close to that diameter. I put them in a vise and drilled the hole larger, to fit over the Spring Guide Assembly. Tidied with round file and sandpaper. Like I said, not the prettiest, should work.

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 1:28 pm 

Daryl wrote:
Keep us posted on successes or other, as the case may be.
Ok. I’ve tried the spacers in this Optimus .177.

Previously without spacers, I had Chronied it with Grizzly 8.7 gn pellets. It was shooting 475 fps.

I installed all six washers, for 3/8” more preload. I installed them on the Spring Guide Assembly, between the spring and the (Rear) Spring Guide.

I Chronied it with Grizzly 8.5 gn pellets. It shot 550 fps, shot well, seemed smooth.

I didn’t like it.

I don’t quite understand the dimensions of those rear guides and spring as they relate to the piston and sear. It seems there’s a lot going on there, right where I installed the spacers.

Again, I’m not sure but I think the end of the piston may go over the Rear Spring Guide. My spacers, not pretty, are marginally larger in diameter than the guide, and my drilled holes are not exactly concentric. So my spacers are a little proud, in spots, of the diameter of the guide. And have sharp edges. At the end of cocking, I could feel the piston jostling over the spacers, a little clunk, scrape, clunk. Maybe just my plastic piston liner catching, I don’t know. I didn’t like it, even though it shot well.

I don’t think I want to mess with the Rear Spring Guide. When I was first looking at putting some washers in there, I just put what I had behind the Rear Spring Guide. That pushed all those three tiers, those steps in the guide, forward. The guide stopped on something, I thought maybe the sear. I thought I’d better not put spacers there.

And if the piston slides over that guide, I wouldn’t want to cut the guide to decrease preload. I’d like the piston over the guide, if that’s what it’s supposed to do.

Anyway, I’m going to have to measure these things a bit more closely to get a better idea.

I’m wondering if changing preload by adding or reducing spacers is necessary at all. I’ve done fairly comprehensive testing of piston/spring combinations. There are many ideal starting points for velocity in there. And I’ve started learning how much pellet mass affects velocity, it’s a lot! So, with all the variability in velocity using the piston/spring and pellets as control, adjusting preload may not be an interest for me.

Anyway, there ya go. We’ll see

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 4:16 pm 

eSteve wrote:
I don’t quite understand the dimensions of those rear guides and spring as they relate to the piston and sear. It seems there’s a lot going on there, right where I installed the spacers.

Again, I’m not sure but I think the end of the piston may go over the Rear Spring Guide. My spacers, not pretty, are marginally larger in diameter than the guide, and my drilled holes are not exactly concentric. So my spacers are a little proud, in spots, of the diameter of the guide. And have sharp edges. At the end of cocking, I could feel the piston jostling over the spacers, a little clunk, scrape, clunk. Maybe just my plastic piston liner catching, I don’t know. I didn’t like it, even though it shot well.

I don’t think I want to mess with the Rear Spring Guide. When I was first looking at putting some washers in there, I just put what I had behind the Rear Spring Guide. That pushed all those three tiers, those steps in the guide, forward. The guide stopped on something, I thought maybe the sear. I thought I’d better not put spacers there.

And if the piston slides over that guide, I wouldn’t want to cut the guide to decrease preload. I’d like the piston over the guide, if that’s what it’s supposed to do.

Anyway, I’m going to have to measure these things a bit more closely to get a better idea.
So I’ve got my rifle open, I’m taking out those spacers. And I’m having a good measure of things.

Yes, the widest and most rear step in the guide . . . pushes against the trigger assembly. Of course, holds it in tight. The narrow part of the guide at the front, just goes under the sear. This means that the end of the piston definitely slides over the front narrow part of the guide. And so, had to tumble over all my chunky spacers.

I’m not going to mess with this area, for now. I could see one good, solid spacer working here, with this spring. I think a 1/4” would be useful. But it would have to have exactly the same diameter and diameter hole as the guide.

I’ve got one more spring coming at the end of the week, for the other rifle. I’m just gonna shoot for a while, settle down: look through my scopes, play with pellets. Yeah. It’ll be alright

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 8:56 pm 

Long story short, tried a few washed Grizzly on the Pro Sport ... The picky guy just don't like it at all, washed or not...

Then tried on the FWB300, looks no big difference than what in my memory, not as good as the Daisy I got from Amazon on the FWB300.

And then I picked it up the 3rd time to tried on the HW30. Well... That really impressed me as I got a one hole group of 5 shots... Opened a new tin (un-washed of course) to compare. The groups opened up and the worse is I got fliers...

So, in my experiment, can't say washing the pellets is useless or worthless, but just start another story about pellet testing and the major part is still on the gun I think... ImageImage

~Target~

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 12:17 pm 

Close range does show some difference. A little more range should show even more.

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 12:23 pm 

Yes~ agree! The best part is it looks at least can eliminate fliers...

And on the second picture, the group on the right is the original group, which shows a group similar to the left one but with TWO fliers for 8 shots?

And then I went back to shoot at the same group of the previous one (left one) and opened it up a little but a little lucky this group I didn't get a flier...

~Target~

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 1:08 pm 

Lead chips in the cavities are the main reason for flyers. This is why many British air gunners wash their pellets - all of them.
Sy Pitaway did a video on it and even with "good" (expensive) pellets, there was a sprinkling of lead "bits" in the bottom of the
Pyrex kitchen measure he used for the washing. After the pellets had dried, he sprays them with WD40. Not sure I would do that
as if there is a drop in the base of a pellet, or even when on the outside, when the 'carrier' in the WD40 dries off, it may leave a
varnish-like deposit. That is why, after using WD40 in our muzzleloading rifles, after cleaning and drying them, we store them
muzzle down, so any excess can drain out the muzzle.
Perhaps there is another 'treatment/protection' for them that will not dry?

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 3:49 pm 

eSteve wrote:
Daryl wrote:
Washing the grizzly pellets should help with their accuracy by a good margin.

The Grizzly pellets are almost gone.

I washed one tin of pellets before. I don’t think I’ll be doing it again too soon.
Well, I’m thinking more about washing pellets.

See, one of the reasons I’ve started weighing pellets is to eliminate a variable. The pellets are more consistent. I could do washing, too. Eliminate another variable.

It’s those times when you’re scratching your head. You can see the pellet wallowing down some flight path. Or the velocity drops in the chrony session. Why ?

I could wash them. Daryl, you’ve just about got me convinced !

Funny too, I’m finding these Grizzlies shooting pretty straight in my Optimus. See photo from this morning. I’m thinking straighter than the RWS Super-H I’ve also been shooting. But I need all six to look like this, and the group right inside the inch. I’m about to take a few more shots, we’ll see.

And I’m just about out of .177 pellets! Expecting a delivery at any moment ! With a new emphasis on JSB.

Attachments:
IMG_0388 copy.JPG
IMG_0388 copy.JPG [ 140.56 KiB | Viewed 410 times ]

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 4:57 pm 

YepYep wrote:
Long story short, tried a few washed Grizzly on the Pro Sport ... The picky guy just don't like it at all, washed or not...
And then I picked it up the 3rd time to tried on the HW30. Well... That really impressed me as I got a one hole group of 5 shots... Opened a new tin (un-washed of course) to compare. The groups opened up and the worse is I got fliers...

So, in my experiment, can't say washing the pellets is useless or worthless, but just start another story about pellet testing and the major part is still on the gun I think...
Here’s some more of those targets. I finished all my Grizzly pellets. A bit all over, as ever. Maybe I should be washing. But a notable number inside the inch on these last three, which I think is good. The last shot was best, nice way to finish the lot.

I have like 27 .177 pellets left ! Yikes !

Attachments:
IMG_0389 copy.JPG
IMG_0389 copy.JPG [ 141.05 KiB | Viewed 408 times ]

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 6:33 pm 

Then it became this. The scope was set for a heavier pellet. I’m just learning about hold over and hold under. Some serious, and successful, hold under action with the Phantom. That JSB seems like a straight shooter too

Attachments:
IMG_0391 copy.JPG
IMG_0391 copy.JPG [ 162.44 KiB | Viewed 406 times ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next