Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:04 pm 

Hey Shooters

Happy day. I got it! A good used Optimus .177

It's like new, the container of pellets is full. It's likely barely been shot. I looked down the barrel, looked clear. I was so stoked, I didn't even look through the scope. It's a little foggy, the threaded ring on the objective end was a bit loose, maybe it got moist? It doesn't matter, I bought the same scope new a couple months ago that I now have spare.

I think this rifle may just have been sitting around for a while, maybe stored in a closed garage? I got it in Vancouver. It's my first air rifle purchase since I became a serious hobbyist.

Trying not to shoot it. I think I know what I need to do. I should clean the barrel, check it out, and then open it up and go over the whole thing, like I've been doing with my Phantom these last months. I might not be shooting it for a couple few days.

Anyway, tell me what you think. I think I paid a good price even with the foggy scope. Maybe now my little air rifle quiver is complete. Ha!

Thanks

Attachments:
IMG_0312 copy.JPG
IMG_0312 copy.JPG [ 221.32 KiB | Viewed 1599 times ]

.177 Cometa Fusion, Vantage 3-9x40
.177 Cometa Fenix LT, Endurance 4-16x50
.22 Cometa Fenix, Airmax 3-9x40

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:58 pm 

Oh, I don't know, Steve. It's a rifle you assume works; You should shoot 50 rounds through it before you do anything. It's called establishing a baseline and evaluating the improvements of your "tuning." Just sayin' :)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:51 am 

I agree with Edmonton<500. You learned a lot tuning your Phantom and the Optimus' internals are identical. (So the spare seals, etc. you bought for your Phantom fit the Optimus) Run some shots through it. You will be able to tell what tuning issues need to be addressed before opening it up. Like a mechanic taking a test drive before working on a car.

"Maybe now my little air rifle quiver is complete" hahahaha. You're hooked, dude. I said something similar years ago.
Welcome to the madness. :rolleyes:

Nothing works and I don't know why.

Two lathes and too many projects

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:00 am 

[emoji38] [emoji38] Yep~ welcome to the madness! You need another 10 guns before saying the collection is completed~

Begin to save up your coffee money for you next one now~

When you improving your skills, you may also find you are more accurate than your current gun and may need a better one... Then you need to start saving up the lunch money... :eek:

:drinkers:

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:01 am 

Edmonton<500 wrote:
It's a rifle you assume works; You should shoot 50 rounds through it before you do anything.

Fair advice, Ed. And in this case it would have been fine, but I decided to open it. Here's why:

One concern was that it might be rusty inside. Even stored in a closed garage, this is Vancouver, it's a moist environment. And I could see that the stock screws were juuust starting to try and rust. I cleaned them up a bit with oil but I may be replacing them. Anyway, I didn't want to be dragging any rust around inside my rifle, or any old cakey lube from the factory, either.

When I pulled my Phantom out of mothballs a few months ago, it had rust starting inside the piston and a couple other little spots, and it was stored in a closet inside the house. Moisture had been condensing on the cold steel.

Another thing was curiosity. I wanted to find out which detuning method was used. One of the photos from the Craigslist ad showed the rifle in a possible full-cocked position. It was clearly more than the half-cock position of the long piston but seemed short of the full-cock position of the short piston. I wondered . . .

Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:21 am 

ricksplace wrote:
I agree with Edmonton<500. Like a mechanic taking a test drive before working on a car.

You learned a lot tuning your Phantom and the Optimus' internals are identical. (So the spare seals, etc. you bought for your Phantom fit the Optimus)

"Maybe now my little air rifle quiver is complete" hahahaha. You're hooked, dude. I said something similar years ago.
Welcome to the madness.

Yes, I decided fairly early that my next rifle would be from the Quest/Optimus/Vantage series of Crosman products, like my Phantom is, for that exact reason: the swappability and simplicity of parts exchange. I knew I wanted a nice, warm wooden stock in contrast to the weather-ready ruggedness of the synthetic one of the Phantom.

Yes, I was waiting patiently for this exact version to appear: a good used .177 Optimus. Boom.

I knew you guys would get a kick from the complete quiver comment, we'll see how it goes. I do have a larger plan of where I'd like to go. I'm happy to be doing it with all of yous.

And I'll be telling you what I found out last night.

Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:25 am 

YepYep wrote:
[emoji38] [emoji38] Yep~ welcome to the madness! You need another 10 guns before saying the collection is completed~

Begin to save up your coffee money for you next one now~

When you improving your skills, you may also find you are more accurate than your current gun and may need a better one... Then you need to start saving up the lunch money...

Yep, I'm trying to stay sane here! And stop before spending the lunch money. Ha!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:26 am 

See Todd's post:
post498248.html?hilit=optimus#p498248

Nothing works and I don't know why.

Two lathes and too many projects

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:53 am 

ricksplace wrote:
See Todd's post

Thanks, yes. I had seen a whole bunch of those threads before I joined, when it felt like getting punched in the head, from the dizzying array of information and combinations. I'd like to keep it it a bit more simple than that.

But I saw that Todd was utilizing a cool workstand. Yeah! But he's using a little Workmate one, I think. I'm using a slighty more skookum Stanley FatMax. Woo.

Yeah, and I've got that medium Optimus, so now I have 3 different-sized pistons, for 2 rifles. The whole gamut. I'm stoked! But it has a weasley spring!? The first thing I'm gonna do is shoot a piston liner in that sucker, quiet it down. Yuck!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:03 am 

eSteve wrote:
skookum ......

Now there's a BCism..

eSteve wrote:
a weasley spring!

Say what now? If it's Ron or Ginny then should be good, eh, or perhaps skookum. :drinkers:
Do the ETA trigger mod on it, while you're in there, because the Crosman trigger blade is very weasley and can be made skookum very easily.

))))----//----------==

Iacio ergo sum

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:26 am 

Dukemeister wrote:
eSteve wrote:
skookum ......

Now there's a BCism..

eSteve wrote:
a weasley spring!

Say what now? If it's Ron or Ginny then should be good, eh, or perhaps skookum. :drinkers:
Do the ETA trigger mod on it, while you're in there, because the Crosman trigger blade is very weasley and can be made skookum very easily.

Duke, are you you getting tragically hip with me? Ha!

Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:28 am 

There’s something else I want to tell all you guys while I’m making coffee.

We gotta stay fit. I’m a pretty fit guy, I’m a serious trail runner here on the shore, I’m a carpenter, I do core strength and stretching exercises every morning. But I had a couple days off work between jobs, which is why I could indulge in some marathon forum posts.

A couple days sitting in a chair killed me! Last night when I started working on the Optimus, my back and hips were so tight! It was killing me! It was horrid! I popped ibuprofen, I was crunched and groaning for a frickin half hour!

I’m shooting bench rest now, but I’m going to be moving on to more positional shooting later: kneeling, shooting off natural objects, standing. We’ve gotta stay fit just to shoot. Even bench rest, you still gotta be flexible and strong to shoot well. Or do anything.

So anyway, stay fit. There ya go

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:18 am 

Skookum? :lol: by very definition, "looks strong but isn't."
Also, the place where I grew up has a place called skookumchuk just a little ways down the highway. There's a pulp mill there.
And it's in BC.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:09 pm 

killercrow wrote:
Skookum? :lol: by very definition, "looks strong but isn't."
Also, the place where I grew up has a place called skookumchuk just a little ways down the highway. There's a pulp mill there.
And it's in BC.

Yeah, killercrow! Alberta boy from BC. You've got it covered.

Yes, the place I know is the narrows: "strong water"

Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:19 pm 

I miss BC. :cry:

The Optimus/phantom platform is fun to play with though. I took the steel spring guide out of mine and fitted a delrin rod. Fit to the spring as well. It wasn't super complicated. Then I sleeved the piston with a roll of pop bottle plastic. I have the bleed hole piston, shorter than full power spring but longer than the long piston spring. Anyway with the guide and sleeve, it is super smooth. And no twang. I just use a light coat of lube. No tar.

Good candidate for piston buttons though. The skirt on the pistons are rather hard so that makes things difficult to work with.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next