Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:09 am 

It seems to me anyway that the lack of active, well organized Airgun Clubs in Canada may be a factor in the legislation being considered.
I know there are a few in bigger cities but not in any real numbers across the country. I will give the States a plug there groups and clubs everywhere it seems.
I tried here in Kingston but I could not get any interest in even trying to get something going. Lots of airgun sales and yes paintball seems to do ok but not here. Thought I would check it out before going to the Police re what might be acceptable. My hat is off to the folks who set this site up but we need friends in high places and maybe talk a bit about the financial success of retail business serving us.
Yes it is a hobby but we need more than that. The question is how do we get it ? At one time we could just buy them and use them....no sweat. Well that is being threatened and getting support from people who simply do not understand why adults would want to shoot paper targets in their basement. Those days are far behind us if we want to keep doing just that. We need a public image that is more than what comes to people and politicians when they hear about us having DMPS's and M1 and Colts that look like the real thing but ARE NOT. A few people have been caught with them in public and it scares the hell out of uninformed citizens. Got to promote the hobby and how Safe it is. One Man's Opinion.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:57 pm 

You probably share that opinion with a fair amount of folks here.

I have been pushing air gunning since about 1999. I have run field target matches, fun shooting days, scouts and girl guide days, etc. I have been running field target clubs since 2002. I started in Elmira (near Waterloo), in 2005 started the Port Colborne Club and in 2016, when I moved to Greater Napanee, resurrected the Grenville Club. The same thing has always been the issue, getting shooters to come out.

Some come out, do not like it, and stop coming; I fully understand that. The ones I do not understand are the air gun shooters that are close enough to get to the club, but choose not to. There are many reasons given for not attending. Too organized, I just want to plink. Do not want to compete. And so on. The fact of it is, many FT folks consider it plinking. You get a day out to shoot air guns with a group of people who love air gunning. When you shoot in a match, it is up to you if you want to compete with other shooters or if you just want to keep beating yourself and improving, which may actually be the majority of regular shooters. Once in a while they get a medal and just consider that gravy on what was already a really great time.

We do have shooters that shoot internationally and do very well. They are always willing to answer questions, give pointers, discuss equipment and are always encouraging to other shooters. Intimidation is the furthest thing from their minds and intimidation only exists in the minds of those who let it hold them back from having a great time.

If you are in the Hamilton area, HAHA has a club, if in the Port Colborne area, Port has a club and if in the Grenville area, there is a club there. Step up, come out and see if you have been missing something you really enjoy. Bring your sense of humour with you, as you will find that laughter is extremely common. I can stand with my eyes closed and within minutes can tell you who is attending just by the laughter.

There is also a club that shoots in Calgary and another that shoots at the Mission Club in BC. There has been air gun shooting at the Burlington Rifle and Revolver Club during the winter months.

Of course all of this depend on the situation with respect to COVID. Tough right now, but hopefully it will steadily improve.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:34 am 

Shooting paper targets in my upstairs is a lot better than playing blood and gore video games everyday. Last video game I played cost me a quarter and 10 cents for the bus. I don't go after people that use coloring books for destroying trees for their hobby. :) Wife loves my hobby. I am not at the range or hunting everyday like I used to be. I prefer to sit upstairs shooting everyday now and have the comfort of home. :) Been in shooting sports for over 50 years, last 5 years since getting back into pellet guns in the house is the most fun I have ever had. Pellet guns are only a in house thing for me. My backyard is only archery. But I did start another hobby in my shooting room as a grow tent. I mail all the growings to my kids because I don't smoke. Justin should be proud of that hobby he gave me and allows me to do. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:24 pm 

I really enjoy shooting in my backyard and in the house. I do, however, really like people. Great getting out and shooting with the gang with lots of kibitzing going on is a special day for me. I can live without it, but certainly prefer not to.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:20 am 

Good to see a few replies to an earlier post. I too have a range in the basement and could shoot all day. Would I prefer to meet with like minded
people in a proper shooting environment to shoot in friendly competition and then spend time chatting about our beloved hobby. My concern is that the current legislation could use some input about our Hobby. We are not outside shooting steetlights but it does happen on occasion. A well
run club could further support the important safety aspects of our sport. This is not a small undertaking this hobby of ours. It is around the world. Massive competitions and Air gun shows. I would like to know what the politicians image is of our sport. I don't think it is accurate or more
importantly it is definitely Not Inoformed.
One Shooters Opinion.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:52 pm 

Mac wrote:
You probably share that opinion with a fair amount of folks here.

Exactly - we have quite an active air-gun silhouette and 10 meter club here in PG during the winter months indoor shooting.
I would estimate 12 or so active members - all members of the gun club which just passed 2,000 members total. Covid has kept
the numbers low over the last winter as there is only so much room for shooting and spacing. All of the ranges have been well
used over this last year, including our out of town 1,400 meter range. The in-town range is only 200 meters now, but includes
black powder trail walk of 55 targets, Trap, Sporting Clays, Cowboy action, IPSC, Rimfire Silhouette, general rimfire, general CF
and general handgun. All for a $130.00 membership which includes 2 million PL & PD for shooting and fishing activities here or on
public land.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:15 pm 

I to am like most in this thread. 10-12m in the garage, outdoor in the side yard shooting into cattle pasture. Neighbour often comes over and shoots with myself and my kids, sometimes his also. He just leaves his stuff here as he has keys and can grab it whenever he wants. Sometimes he has the fire going before I get home to shoot in the wintertime.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:51 pm 

Durango1941 wrote:
It seems to me anyway that the lack of active, well organized Airgun Clubs in Canada may be a factor in the legislation being considered.

Not to get political... But powder burners have been organized for years, and it didn't stop the government going after them.
- Air guns are just the next scary-looking-thing the government feels it can go after, and make it look good in the media.
- Not to be pessimistic, but for joe-bow Canadians to see value in marksmanship... we'll probably need some sort of major armed conflict, or some drastic collapse of society.

As many on this site can probably attest, fear of guns (whether they be firearms or air guns) is mostly is mostly a city-centric problem.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:05 pm 

I’m just over 60yrs old, I started shooting when I was about 10yrs old, I couldn’t get enough of it, the fun ended when my sister sold her farm 25yrs ago
There no place to shoot in southern Ontario, I’m sorry but going to a club to shoot 10m that’s not my thing, I’m lucky to have some quality stuff so I would love to shoot 50-100-150...etc.
I tried to look for crown land but no luck, if you know someone that has some land than great if not shooting in my basement at 10m it’s not a lot of fun.

There use to be outdoor places to go years ago but people moving out of Toronto and land developers buying land not to mention people complaining about noise and guns has put an end to any hope of getting out to shoot.

The only thing I get to do on occasion is sporting clays at the Galt club but COVID has put an end to that too for now.

Who knows maybe one day I’ll take my air guns out of the basement.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:22 pm 

HW777 wrote:
I’m just over 60yrs old, I started shooting when I was about 10yrs old, I couldn’t get enough of it, the fun ended when my sister sold her farm 25yrs ago
There no place to shoot in southern Ontario, I’m sorry but going to a club to shoot 10m that’s not my thing, I’m lucky to have some quality stuff so I would love to shoot 50-100-150...etc.
I tried to look for crown land but no luck, if you know someone that has some land than great if not shooting in my basement at 10m it’s not a lot of fun.

There use to be outdoor places to go years ago but people moving out of Toronto and land developers buying land not to mention people complaining about noise and guns has put an end to any hope of getting out to shoot.

The only thing I get to do on occasion is sporting clays at the Galt club but COVID has put an end to that too for now.

Who knows maybe one day I’ll take my air guns out of the basement.

Silverdale has 50, 100 and 200 m ranges. Club is closed for latest lockdown, but since they are outdoor chances are they going to be open in the summer. Not sure though if they take new members.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:15 am 

Thank you Scanny, it’s an hour and a half drive but I guess on occasion it would be nice to go there and shoot a bit.