Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:43 pm 

So this is what I did to use my shooting chrony inside. Works great. I only use energizer or duracell batteries with the led lights. The led lights are held in place with the powerful magnets out of an old hard drive. .
I plan on getting the FX chrony before long and comparing the two chronies.
Back stop is a tote with two bags of rubber mulch inside. Hundreds and hundreds of shots and still no pass through.

Daystate rever
AA510 carbine
JTS Airacuda

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:57 pm 

Me too. I used the led pucks from Canadian Tire. These were $5.00 when I bought them and they
included Batteries.
The pucks are held on by rare-earth magnets from Princess Auto. they come with one in their back plate.

Attachments:
Indoor Shooting Chrony.JPG
Indoor Shooting Chrony.JPG [ 124.23 KiB | Viewed 1162 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:48 pm 

Daryl wrote:
Me too. I used the led pucks from Canadian Tire. These were $5.00 when I bought them and they
included Batteries.

Yup, got mine from home hardware $4.95 including batteries. Sure beats the price for a chrony light kit, if you can still find a lighting kit

Daystate rever
AA510 carbine
JTS Airacuda

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:04 pm 

We have a couple of those horizontal flashlights, like yours, in our trailer kitchen as it's rare-earth magnet
holds it on the steel stove liner even when traveling.
One goes in the outdoor kitchen so I always know where at least 2 working flashlights are located.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:26 pm 

I have two of the original Shooting Chronys of about 30+ years of age and suspect that the chronys shown in the thread are examples of what I have heard are "improved" over the original design?

Regardless, this is no complaint, simply documenting my lack of success in indoor operation regardless of the type of lighting, screens, or other adaptions.

I restrict the use to outdoors, only successfully when cloudy overcast, and have just acquired one of the $25.00 chronographs from AliExpress which appears to function indoors as well as under other lighting conditions.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000569 ... 4c4dowWiKN

Webley Viscount .177
Crossman 1377 Classic Pump .177
Diana Stormrider2 .22
Kral Mega Marine Walnut .22
Artemis PP750 .22
FX Streamline .22 walnut
FX Streamline .22 composite

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:10 pm 

Normk wrote:

I just acquired one of the $25.00 chronographs from AliExpress which appears to function indoors as well as under other lighting conditions.

Would be interesting to compare the chrony results from the Aliexpress and the shooting chrony.

Daystate rever
AA510 carbine
JTS Airacuda

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:52 pm 

I have the original red chrony too. I use a white garbage bag as a diffuser and a regular old incandescent light bulb. I just tape it onto a box with the top open, put the chrony in the box with 2 little doors cut into it to shoot thru. Currently using a diaper box. Perfect size :lol: can't use any direct light of any type. Has to be diffused. Or cloudy days works perfectly too.

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 5:52 am 

eSteve wrote:
Then I got the Chronograph. Amazing! Super cool unit, huge enabler of learning. Love it. Absolutely necessary for any mid-level hobbyist or expert, in my mind. However, it took a good deal of time and effort, and a ton of patience, to figure out how to make it work consistently. I can understand why a good number of people are dissatisfied with them and bail. Figuring out how to light it was the trickiest part. I tried to light it with a LED work lamp I had. Hung it this way, that way. I certainly didn’t want to buy the proper accessory lamps; I didn’t want to spend another 60 bucks and I didn’t want a couple power cords hanging off that I had to plug in. And I had read reviews where plenty of people struggled to make them work, too. With more research I read lots of success stories using little LED lamps. The first store I went to had little headlamps, cheap to begin with, they were on sale for like 3 bucks each. And they were bright enough, I can’t remember, 200 lumens or something. I got good batteries on sale, still a bit expensive, quite a bit more than the lamps themselves. But LEDs don’t use a lot of power, the batteries will last. I don’t use the Chrony every time I shoot. I didn’t use the headbands from the lamps, I used a couple small, heavy elastics from broccoli, those blue ones. Put them around the diffusers. Clipped the lights in. Perfect! Super minimal, portable, plenty bright. Then it was finding the sweet spot to shoot through, alignment and how close to the sensors. I still get the odd error, it sometimes doesn’t like the first 2 shots or I’m struggling with alignment on a top target, I might miss 3 or maybe 4 even. But I’ll have multiple sessions of 10 shots and it reads every one. I set the Chrony on a small tripod on a table in front of my bench rest. But I also got a good, adjustable, tall tripod from the thrift store for 12 bucks. I haven’t done it yet but I would be confident taking it outside or to the range.

eSteve wrote:
But the learning you get with improvements and pellets is astounding! Some other models were sold out so I got the Alpha Master, it has the wired display unit. Super cool! Having the display and control right there while shooting, and putting it on my knee after the session while I make notes is amazing! Love it!

Hey Cadeau

Sorry, I quoted myself from a thread I started “Phantom .22 - Scope Trouble?”

I paid regular price for this, totally worth it. I see that it’s just gone on sale at D&L for $170.

Cheers

Attachments:
IMG_0362 copy.JPG
IMG_0362 copy.JPG [ 124.81 KiB | Viewed 1035 times ]

.177 Cometa Fusion, Vantage 3-9x40
.177 Cometa Fenix LT, Endurance 4-16x50
.22 Cometa Fenix, Airmax 3-9x40

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 1:58 pm 

eSteve wrote:

I paid regular price for this, totally worth it. I see that it’s just gone on sale at D&L for $170.

Cheers

Good deal great chony's !

Daystate rever
AA510 carbine
JTS Airacuda

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:40 pm 

My Shooting Chrony is the original "MODEL F", which I understand has diffferent/less effective sensors than the "MODEL F1".

No placement of lights, combination of lights, screens, etc. succeeded in making mine work indoors, FWIW.

This because I'm wondering if someone smarter than me (that doesn't reduce the list by much) has found a means to make the "MODEL F" work indoors?

If not, and someone else is struggling with a "MODEL F", this may be the reason.

I have compared two of the "MODEL F" to a number of other chronographs, as well as in comparison with advertised velocities and found the Chrony to be sufficiently accurate and consistent for any of my uses, other than for my air guns.

They are all consistent with my $25 AliExpress chronograph, FWIW.

Webley Viscount .177
Crossman 1377 Classic Pump .177
Diana Stormrider2 .22
Kral Mega Marine Walnut .22
Artemis PP750 .22
FX Streamline .22 walnut
FX Streamline .22 composite