Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Two Questions
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 10:08 am 

1. Does a well maintained airgun become less accurate for no apparent reason after much use? Does the rifling or any component wear down over time but no sign of repair needed?

2. Can another of the same model prefer a different pellet or BB? I have a Crosman M4-177 pumper which is a tack driver at 30 feet and the most consistently accurate of my few low cost airguns . After many pellet samplings, it only likes one for optimum accuracy. I have a new spare. Should I try it out to determine if it likes another pellet. I have kept it aside for years in case the current 4 year old one breaks down but if the spare is put into service and wants to be fed another pellet then this would give me some variety providing the grouping is good.

Post subject: Re: Two Questions
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 10:44 am 

Try drawing a bore snake (with the brush removed) through the bore.... It may simply need cleaning....

Bob

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 2:33 pm 

rsterne wrote:
Try drawing a bore snake (with the brush removed) through the bore.... It may simply need cleaning....

Bob

I'm aware of the need for cleaning and lubing when required if accuracy falls off. Generally speaking, does the rifling wear cause less accuracy as time goes on. That would not be so obvious as a power plant or other mechanical parts wearing out or total fail. None of my airguns exhibit problems -just curious if we can expect less accuracy over a long time and thousands of pellets.

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 3:14 pm 

ten-ring wrote:
rsterne wrote:

Bob

I'm aware of the need for cleaning and lubing when required if accuracy falls off. Generally speaking, does the rifling wear cause less accuracy as time goes on. That would not be so obvious as a power plant or other mechanical parts wearing out or total fail. None of my airguns exhibit problems -just curious if we can expect less accuracy over a long time and thousands of pellets.

Theoretically rifling will wear a little with every shot. How long rifling will last without accuracy hits really depends on rifling material and pellets hardness. I would expect that for high quality guns we are talking about hundreds thousands of pellets but it's just my guess.

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 4:09 pm 

If you notice a decrease in accuracy, groups opening up for example - then a barrel clean may be in order. But there are other routine things to check, particularly loose bolts and fasteners and potentially deteriorated seals. I leave my springers with breach open so the seals don't take a set. HIH, :drinkers:

))))----//----------==

Iacio, ergo sum

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 7:31 pm 

Dukemeister wrote:
If you notice a decrease in accuracy, groups opening up for example - then a barrel clean may be in order. But there are other routine things to check, particularly loose bolts and fasteners and potentially deteriorated seals. I leave my springers with breach open so the seals don't take a set. HIH, :drinkers:

I thought I was the only one to do that, and that was when I was a kid. I didn't even think to do that with my HW's.
I suppose I likely should, just unlatch the underlever to take the pressure off the sealing O ring.

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 7:36 pm 

Daryl wrote:

I thought I was the only one to do that, and that was when I was a kid. I didn't even think to do that with my HW's.
I suppose I likely should, just unlatch the underlever to take the pressure off the sealing O ring.

Yes, wasn't my idea of course but I took a habit of doing it and according to IanV it isn't a bad idea.
scroll down to his post:
topic85687.html

))))----//----------==

Iacio, ergo sum

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 11:37 pm 

Tks Duke. I will open them immediately.

edited:
Done: I placed an old metal Players 25 box under the lever to slighlty cock the rifle, but
the loading port is still not exposed at all. No dust. The boxes are about 3/8" thick.

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 9:00 am 

ten-ring wrote:
1. Does a well maintained airgun become less accurate for no apparent reason after much use? Does the rifling or any component wear down over time but no sign of repair needed?

2. Can another of the same model prefer a different pellet or BB? I have a Crosman M4-177 pumper which is a tack driver at 30 feet and the most consistently accurate of my few low cost airguns . After many pellet samplings, it only likes one for optimum accuracy. I have a new spare. Should I try it out to determine if it likes another pellet. I have kept it aside for years in case the current 4 year old one breaks down but if the spare is put into service and wants to be fed another pellet then this would give me some variety providing the grouping is good.

Any thoughts on my question #2?

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 10:03 am 

ten-ring wrote:
ten-ring wrote:

Any thoughts on my question #2?

I think nobody really can say it for sure. Depends on how consistent manufacturing of the gun is. Everything is possible : )

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 4:38 pm 

ten-ring wrote:
2. Can another of the same model prefer a different pellet or BB?

Yes - different barrel/gun - so yes. There will likely be trends, like JSB pellets giving the best accuracy
in both - but then JSB pellets usually give the best accuracy in the majority of air rifles. Another, is
liking or preferring heavier or lighter pellets in rifles of the same make, calibre, etc.
This could be due to the mfgr'. using a certain style of rifling and rate of twist that certain pellets
prefer, but to like exactly the same pellet - most likely not, unless it was a good pellet known for excellent
accuracy in a wide range of guns.

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 7:57 pm 

Well, I unboxed my spare Crosman M4-177, sighted in with laser and started pellet testing : RWS R10-7gr and 8.2gr, Meisterkuglen 7.0gr and 8.2gr, JSB Exact Express and Exact RS plus the JSB Exact 8.44.. It much prefers the JSB Exact 8.44 as does my current well used M4.
I'M sure other owners will swear by another pellet for the M4, So I will just keep it for replacement of the existing one which still functions flawlessly.

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 10:52 pm 

JSN 8.44gr. 4.51 and 4.52MM are best in my HW97. By best, I'm talking groups down to 1/10" at 20 yards
very consistently, whereas some other 'decent' pellets shoot 1/4" to 3/8" groups..