Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 6:53 am 

Rob27 wrote:
Dukemeister wrote:
Get a Daisy 953 or a 853. Very quiet and accurate at the ranges you will be shooting.
This is a good deal for the 953 match rifle. Years ago the 953 could be found at TSC for under $100, but those days are gone.
https://thegundealer.net/product/daisy- ... t-177-cal/

Thank you very much for the quick reply. I have never seen this type of air system - although as I said, I have had the same old Gecado Model 22 break barrel for over 40 years and do not know much about air guns. I looked at a few reviews of this rifle and most describe amazing accuracy but so-so power.

Having said that, I would guess my old gun is probably closer to 300fps than 495 so I expect this would be a huge upgrade.

I was expecting to see a suggestion of a Ruger Airhawk or a Umarex Forge or a Gammo Swarm or a Crosman F11 Nitro based on my quick searches of Cabelas and Canadian Tire.

I very much appreciate your insight, that is why I joined this forum and posted my question here.
What about my posting made you think of the Daisy?

Thanks,
Rob

Crosman F11 comes in .22 only I believe which would not be a bad thing. Under 500FPS and hits harder than a 177 at same speed. I shoot mine in the house. Worth $300 I am not sure, but they go on sale at Canadian Tire for under $200. I am having trouble adjusting to New Covid pricing on guns. Best bang for the buck is a Hatsan 35S from Deals Store, KW Surplus chain for $149. No scope. Deadly accurate right out of the box. It is a .177. Best shooter I own. Stacks pellets when I do my part. As for Ruger Airhawk, good guns, when I bought mine for $99 and free shipping from Walmart. Am I going to pay the new price of them now, no. But I did pay $150 shipped for a very sweet shooter at 680FPS and it had trigger work done to it. Bought it from a forum member as couple years ago. CHEERS!

Last edited by wheeliehd on Thu May 13, 2021 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 7:09 am 

HW777 wrote:
Hobbyman2007 wrote:
I’m another PP750 fan. A hand pump and pistol/ carbine from Airgunarcheryfun would be close to 500$ . The only downside are the factory sights . Another great option is the HW30 available for 325$ here on the forum store. Short little rifle , weighs next to nothing but is just as accurate to 30 yards as any PCP rifle . It’s also low powered and makes very little noise. The Weihrauch is about as good of quality as one will find , not to mention the best trigger in the business.
https://www.airgunforum.ca/store/produc ... cts_id=232

I was trying to find out what the budget is because if the budget was around 400$ I was going to suggest the HW30…….and since he has his pal he can always get a spring kit one day to converted to pal.
Regarding the HW30, the one from our forum store is PAL rated full power (just about 600+fps, don't think you get a magnum from such a tiny body). So jusy fits the OP (many ppl didn't get their PAL due to the covid school closure and have to pass this good deal...)

Link:
https://www.airgunforum.ca/store/produc ... cts_id=232

(HW30 is louder than the 953 tho... But I sold my 953 and keep my softened weaker HW30 for basement shooting for the a little bit higher speed)

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 7:22 am 

Have you looked at Air Venturi TR5 rifle? I think it the most powerful rifle you can buy without PAL, it has 5 round magazine and it's reasonable accurate.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 8:02 am 

jckstrthmghty wrote:
Error wrote:
I use $2000+ Feinwerkbau rifles every week and honestly, the $99 Remington express hunter perform almost as good.

Maybe under a limited set of conditions, but no. I mean I get what you are saying but no.

You know what i mean... What i mean is that for the price difference ($2000+ vs $99). The difference is not 20 times... You may not get the exact same sensitivity trigger and hit the same hole without touching the paper ...but with the express hunter..if you pull slowly and aim right you will get a very interesting result with it and a good chance to hit the same hole..... for a $99 rifle. Which is less than the taxes alone of a Feinwerkbau.

It out performed several $200-$250 rifles i had. I was kinda impressed for a $99 rifle.. but it is possible that im getting better and better or i just got a good copy.

Remington Express Hunter break barrel
KWA QRF mod 3 Airsoft
G&G SMC9 Airsoft
Amoeba Striker 1 Airsoft
KJW 1911 Airsoft

GX CS3 air compressor

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 8:33 am 

Error wrote:
I bought two remington express hunter with scope from Princess Auto couple weeks ago.. they were $99 each
The ones i bought are very accurate, very very quiet. I really mean it.. as for accuracy I bullseye at 30 feet without using the scope.

I use $2000+ Feinwerkbau rifles every week and honestly, the $99 Remington express hunter perform almost as good.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Attachments:
Angel and Devel.jpg
Angel and Devel.jpg [ 140.32 KiB | Viewed 944 times ]

))))----//----------==

Iacio ergo sum

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 11:01 am 

HW777 wrote:
Rob, how much can you spend on the gun.

I tried to respond to this earlier - somehow it does not seem to have worked - newbie here!

My initial thinking was sub-$200. Then the initial suggestions of the Daisy 953 made me think that I should bump this to $300.

Error - Princess Auto is one of my favorite stores and $99 is a nice number - I just checked and they are sold out everywhere.

The HW30S looks intriguing at 675 FPS but bumps the budget to $325plus.... I looked at some videos on YouTube and it seems to be accurate (perhaps not as accurate as the 953) but a bit harder hitting, not sure that the videos of people shooting outside give me a good sense of the noise level. The break barrel is certainly a motion that I am familiar with.

Duke - let's not allow our wives to meet each other, mine shares a similar dim view on my adding guns and guitars to the collection....

No surprise that different people have their favorites and recommendations. I appreciate all your input. Now I need to make a decision and pull the trigger....

Thanks again everyone for helping the newbie to the forum.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 12:26 pm 

Rob27 wrote:
HW777 wrote:
Rob, how much can you spend on the gun.

The HW30S looks intriguing at 675 FPS but bumps the budget to $325plus.... I looked at some videos on YouTube and it seems to be accurate (perhaps not as accurate as the 953).

[emoji38] nope nope nope~ don't doubt the accuracy on a German famous airgun brand~ the accuracy on a HW30 would be only better to the 953.

The 953 is famous about its good value as just a few years ago, it's about $150 something... And the price for the items sale in our forum store is always too good to be beat. It's over 400 in other place in Canada with no stock for a long time... And $300ish just like a frozen price tag for years already...

An obvious advantage on a HW30 to a 953 (besides the power) is the trigger. The Weihrauch Rekord trigger unit is one of the best trigger in the world. Don't doubt this either, it's a fact~ ;)

My below one is a 500fps one and an earlier model with wood stock (I refinished it recently) and a stainless coating silver action and barrel. Shoots every pellet well I feed in it and if I did my part well, always stacking pellets in my 9 yards basement range... Image

~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 12:58 pm 

YepYep wrote:

[emoji38] nope nope nope~

That is a beautiful rifle.
So, for a $45 difference in price I am guessing that you would go for the HW30 not the 953 right? (based partly on the fact that you said you HAD a 953, but you HAVE a few HW's).
What is your guess on difference in noise level?

I will have to ask another question about the scope in the picture - since it is on a rifle that you like, I am guessing that you are also a fan of the Discovery VT1?

(I somehow managed to lose another reply somewhere between writing and posting. Getting practice at typing responses out twice!)
Thanks,
Rob

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 12:59 pm 

Rob, spend a bit more and get the HW these guns you can pass on to your kids and grandkids top notch quality you’ll not regret it.

Last edited by HW777 on Thu May 13, 2021 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 1:06 pm 

HW777 wrote:
Rob, spend a bit more and get the HW these guns you pass can pass on to your kids and grandkids too notch quality you’ll not regret it.

Just went to the store to order one and see that it is sold out...... sigh.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 1:16 pm 

Rob27 wrote:
HW777 wrote:
Rob, spend a bit more and get the HW these guns you pass can pass on to your kids and grandkids too notch quality you’ll not regret it.

Rob, email Dan (forum shop) ask him when they’ll be in stock again, at that price they are worth it.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 1:47 pm 

Rob27 wrote:

Well... That's really a pity! Maybe we recommended it too many times recently?? It's finally sold out too...

Yes, I will recommend the HW30 more than the 953. Besides the trigger and the power (potential power increase ability... I have the full power spring in hand but don't want to switch that in yet because the non PAL version just works so well in my basement), I also like the recoils from shooting a springer more than the recoiless SSP.

Noise level I might say no big difference however the higher power guns may give out louder noise. I think the HW30 is slightly louder than the 953 but still very basement friendly.

Noise from springer is mostly from the mechanical noise (the spring pushing the piston slaming inside the cylinder). A co2 gun like 2240 or a PCP makes much louder noise.

The scope is an older entry model, the VT1, you got it. Just checked, it's all gone too. I bought it from https://airgunarcheryfun.ca/discovery-scopes/. The owner is also an active member in the forum named Wes (wesb2007).

Discovery is a very good new brand name from China, makes nice clear glasses with good features and good prices. I have a few in home. Even my FWB300SU, I put a Discovery on it too.

~Target~

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 4:58 pm 

I concur with the prior post from "Error". Princess Auto is a good place for beginners & people new to airguns to start. The stock changes regularly & some things maybe out, but check back & maybe call the 800 number.

Airguns can be found in 2 sections:
-Regular section;
https://www.princessauto.com/en/airsoft ... 60-005-000

-And the surplus section;
https://www.princessauto.com/en/hunting ... 65-040-000

The $35 Chinese is always a good place to start. I bought one years ago, when I was getting back into airguns. Still use it to this day. They had hundreds stacked up on a pallet in my local PA back in Feb. So must have sold a lot of them. But ask, they should be getting them back in stock.

Also, many Canadian airgun retailers have a large selection on entry level products. Here is a couple of example of entry level airguns for less than $100.

https://airgunarcheryfun.ca/xisico-xs12 ... 77-22-cal/
https://tooltown.ca/Grizzly-Predator-.22-Air-Rifle.html

Both in .22 Cal. for a bit more stopping power.

And for $30, not a squirrel killer, but a real fun plinker that will get you way more than 100 shots per CO2:

https://tooltown.ca/Daisy-Model-74-C02-Air-Rifle.html

Cabela's also some times has great sales on airgun:

https://www.cabelas.ca/promo_items?prom ... y2=Airguns

Possibly one of the Stoegers would fit your purpose. But my recommendation is get the AR assault rifle replica, the Crosman R1. At $200 is a great price. Not a critter killer, but possibly the best can & target killer you will find, for the price.

And please don't forget to look at the websites for AGS, Replica Airguns & CSS.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 6:05 pm 

Ya. Princess auto is such a cool place... its like toyrus for adults,.. they get new shipment almost every night.. i paid $5 for a pair of shooting glass with interchangeable color lensses. The exact same safety glasses were like $30+ On amazon...

There was only 3 pairs left,, so i bought all 3....

And their return policy is one of the best. A lot better than canadiantire.

Cabelas is another good place when the item you want is on sale.

When im bored, the kids are asleep and wife is doing her stuff.. i just go to princess auto alone.. its only 5 min from my house.

Remington Express Hunter break barrel
KWA QRF mod 3 Airsoft
G&G SMC9 Airsoft
Amoeba Striker 1 Airsoft
KJW 1911 Airsoft

GX CS3 air compressor

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 6:24 pm 

I love PA too~

I have one near my house which is about 5 mins driving too...

And thanks to BB1... Your link to PA made me spent my money again... :eek: just placed a small order I found in the surplus section and waiting for store pickup notice now...

~Target~