Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 3:48 pm 

I recently picked up my 40-plus year old springer and started shooting it in the basement.
Fell back in love with this old gun.
I would like to get one that can punch holes in paper in the basement at 10 yards as well as humanely knocking off a few squirrels that are trying to break into my house. I need something fairly quiet to avoid conflict with neighbors and do not need anything extreme, max range is 15 to 20 yards.
Any suggestions for a fairly quiet .177 that is inexpensive to shoot ( I am thinking a springer or NP).
I have a PAL so can go over 490fps but do not think that I need to go too much faster.
Suggestions?

Thanks
Rob

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 5:06 pm 

Get a Daisy 953 or a 853. Very quiet and accurate at the ranges you will be shooting.
This is a good deal for the 953 match rifle. Years ago the 953 could be found at TSC for under $100, but those days are gone.
https://thegundealer.net/product/daisy- ... t-177-cal/

Duke ))))----//----------==

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 6:04 pm 

Yeah, I was lucky finding the new old stock from Mr. Marvin for a very fair price. Still miss it from time to time as I moved on and sold it... ImageImage

HW 30s / 35e
HW 40+Extender / Scoped P3 / 45 / 70 / 75
Russian Izzy 46M
2240 14" barrel carbine

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 7:27 pm 

Dukemeister wrote:
Get a Daisy 953 or a 853. Very quiet and accurate at the ranges you will be shooting.
This is a good deal for the 953 match rifle. Years ago the 953 could be found at TSC for under $100, but those days are gone.
https://thegundealer.net/product/daisy- ... t-177-cal/

Thank you very much for the quick reply. I have never seen this type of air system - although as I said, I have had the same old Gecado Model 22 break barrel for over 40 years and do not know much about air guns. I looked at a few reviews of this rifle and most describe amazing accuracy but so-so power.

Having said that, I would guess my old gun is probably closer to 300fps than 495 so I expect this would be a huge upgrade.

I was expecting to see a suggestion of a Ruger Airhawk or a Umarex Forge or a Gammo Swarm or a Crosman F11 Nitro based on my quick searches of Cabelas and Canadian Tire.

I very much appreciate your insight, that is why I joined this forum and posted my question here.
What about my posting made you think of the Daisy?

Thanks,
Rob

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 7:41 pm 

Rob27 wrote:

What about my posting made you think of the Daisy?

Thanks,
Rob

it's quiet, inexpensive, accurate. It may not be a good choice for dealing with squirrels because of low power, but otherwise it fills the bill. it's easily tuned to 490 fps even if out of the box its mid 400s. With a standard 7.9 gr hunting pellet, you'll have 4.2 fpe muzzle energy. if you can shoot the bull out at 10yds on paper, you could humanely take a squirrel at 10 yds with a head shot. Shot placement would be essential. if you really want a pesting rifle then a pal rated .22 would be a better choice. And then there is the option to get two rifles, one for basement quiet target shooting and the other for pesting. The problem is the latter would attract neighbour's interest.

Duke ))))----//----------==

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 7:56 pm 

As a previous owner of a Daisy 953, I can say what you found is right!

The power is the weakest point of this type of air guns (Single Stroke Pneumatic, aka SSP). They usually can just close to 500fps.

And why Duke and me recommend this one is its quite level and accuracy just fit your purpose.

Give you some other names which are also SSP that you can check it out. HW40, Beeman P17, IZH MP46M, FWB-600 series... One thing is common among these guns, very (very... Many very) accurate.

And a longer barrel in rifle form makes the 953 much more quieter and have bigger power close to 500fps than the pistols.

And another advantage of the SSP is recoiless. That's means it's very easy to shoot.

On a rifle form, recoiless, one single pump to get 500fps. I think it's a better choice than the other guns you listed. At least, even had been fine tuned, I doubt those guns can match the accuracy with the 953.

Again, the weakest point of the 953 is power. So with good domed pellets, you also need to shoot at the closest distance you can with a good head shot (easy in 10 yards) if you want to pest the rats in order to make sure good enough energy and pellet placement for an instant kill.

HW 30s / 35e
Russian Izzy 46M
2240 14" barrel carbine

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 8:21 pm 

Thanks both! You make very compelling arguments. Since almost every shot will be fired in the basement at a paper target this looks like a great rifle - a bit more expensive than I was thinking, but I do enjoy knocking the middle out of a target.....

Before the pandemic shutdown I would have been driving to the range to burn gunpowder. I am enjoying the much easier commute to the basement for plinking.

Thanks again for your advice.
Rob

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 8:50 pm 

Rob, how much can you spend on the gun.

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 9:28 pm 

The 953 is a fabulous rifle. Far better accuracy than a economy choice should have. I'd say the weakest aspect of the 953 is the trigger. There are mods you can do to up the power and improve the trigger. I've done both to mine. Shoots in the mid 470's with 8g pellets. Trigger only slightly improved. These days I shoot much higher quality 10m air rifles but time to time I take her out for a few rounds and she will always be dear to my heart.

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 10:30 pm 

HW777 wrote:
Rob, how much can you spend on the gun.
Yeah, want to ask the same question... If budget not allowed, maybe putting up a want ad forba used one?!

Have to admit 259 plus tax shipping etc maybe about $300 in total for a 953 which shoots just below 500fps looks expensive But the price for every gun just jumped high since pandemic... And the worst part is out of stock...

For a comparison which might make you feel better... There's still some 753 are available in US Airgun Depot... It's almost the same gun but in hardwood and a 'better' (still not the good ones) diopter rear sight which asking USD $449.99.... Image

HW 30s / 35e
Russian Izzy 46M
2240 14" barrel carbine

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 10:39 pm 

https://www.airgundepot.com/dy753.html

The description from the website and the customers reviews are good read about this 953/853/753 too~ for your reference ~

HW 30s / 35e
Russian Izzy 46M
2240 14" barrel carbine

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 2:25 am 

I bought two remington express hunter with scope from Princess Auto couple weeks ago.. they were $99 each

The ones i bought are very accurate, very very quiet. I really mean it.. as for accuracy I bullseye at 30 feet without using the scope.

I use $2000+ Feinwerkbau rifles every week and honestly, the $99 Remington express hunter perform almost as good.

But My favorite right now is the artemis pp750 in .22 caliber.. $349. No problem hitting my target at 150 feet... but the artemis isn't quiet.

Remington Express Hunter break barrel
KWA QRF mod 3 Airsoft
G&G SMC9 Airsoft
Amoeba Striker 1 Airsoft
KJW 1911 Airsoft

GX CS3 air compressor

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 5:15 am 

I’m another PP750 fan. A hand pump and pistol/ carbine from Airgunarcheryfun would be close to 500$ . The only downside are the factory sights . Another great option is the HW30 available for 325$ here on the forum store. Short little rifle , weighs next to nothing but is just as accurate to 30 yards as any PCP rifle . It’s also low powered and makes very little noise. The Weihrauch is about as good of quality as one will find , not to mention the best trigger in the business.
https://www.airgunforum.ca/store/produc ... cts_id=232

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 5:34 am 

Hobbyman2007 wrote:
I’m another PP750 fan. A hand pump and pistol/ carbine from Airgunarcheryfun would be close to 500$ . The only downside are the factory sights . Another great option is the HW30 available for 325$ here on the forum store. Short little rifle , weighs next to nothing but is just as accurate to 30 yards as any PCP rifle . It’s also low powered and makes very little noise. The Weihrauch is about as good of quality as one will find , not to mention the best trigger in the business.
https://www.airgunforum.ca/store/produc ... cts_id=232

I was trying to find out what the budget is because if the budget was around 400$ I was going to suggest the HW30…….and since he has his pal he can always get a spring kit one day to converted to pal.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 6:34 am 

Error wrote:
I use $2000+ Feinwerkbau rifles every week and honestly, the $99 Remington express hunter perform almost as good.

Maybe under a limited set of conditions, but no. I mean I get what you are saying but no.