Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 12:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 11:09 am 

Are there any gas pistons that can just drop right in and replace a weak spring?

It's 20-25mm in diameter (a bit worried to take it apart right now pointlessly, until I know that there are pistons that can drop in, when I know I'll measure it) and 12" long.

From what I've seen the gas pistons are shaped very differently and might not work, but I don't know.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 11:35 am 

chloroform wrote:
Are there any gas pistons that can just drop right in and replace a weak spring?

Since you say gas piston and weak spring, I assume you mean replace a wire spring with a gas spring.
It's a bit unfortunate that we use the same terms in airguns to describe completely different things, but hey we make it work.
So, the answer is no,
A gas spring uses different parts to mount itself into the compression chamber than a wire spring. Gone are spring guides, and various liners and shims needed for the wire spring. There are conversion kits for many common springers to convert form wire to gas - Crosmans/Benjamins being very easy. You just need a kit. With some basic tools you can also buy generic gas springs and install them as well. I had great success with the Crosmans and a QB88. Some gas springs get installed with the cylinder facing back, and some get installed with the cylinder inside the piston (the compression chamber piston), the latter adding mass to the moving part and affecting the shot cycle differently than installing it the other way. I belive the Benjamin NP2 types do it that way.
Gas springs store energy differently than wire springs, which follow Hooks Law, force proportional to displacement. The force vs displacement of a gas spring is at first variable, then remains almost constant, there is always a preload as well. HIH, :drinkers:

))))----//----------==

Iacio, ergo sum

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 12:07 pm 

Dukemeister wrote:
chloroform wrote:

Since you say gas piston and weak spring, I assume you mean replace a wire spring with a gas spring.
It's a bit unfortunate that we use the same terms in airguns to describe completely different things, but hey we make it work.
So, the answer is no,
A gas spring uses different parts to mount itself into the compression chamber than a wire spring. Gone are spring guides, and various liners and shims needed for the wire spring. There are conversion kits for many common springers to convert form wire to gas - Crosmans/Benjamins being very easy. You just need a kit. With some basic tools you can also buy generic gas springs and install them as well. I had great success with the Crosmans and a QB88. Some gas springs get installed with the cylinder facing back, and some get installed with the cylinder inside the piston (the compression chamber piston), the latter adding mass to the moving part and affecting the shot cycle differently than installing it the other way. I belive the Benjamin NP2 types do it that way.
Gas springs store energy differently than wire springs, which follow Hooks Law, force proportional to displacement. The force vs displacement of a gas spring is at first variable, then remains almost constant, there is always a preload as well. HIH, :drinkers:

Hm, I see. I doubt there's any kits for the rifle I want to upgrade, but since gas springs are out of the question do you know of any place I can get springs that would fit it, just with a higher spring rate?

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 12:16 pm 

2 links I found - much depends on "licensing".

http://vortekproducts.com/ourstore/

https://www.airrifleheadquarters.com/pa ... 251488.htm

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 3:45 am 

It would be very helpful if you listed what rifle you want to convert. There are a few suppliers that sell die springs for industrial uses ( gas rams ) but the price is quite high. I bought one years ago to convert a crosman phantom and it worked but the ram cost more than the rifle was worth.

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 11:56 am 

If it is a Crosman, Benjamin, or Remington you want to convert, try contacting Crosman Canada for the applicable part.

Need to advise them of the specific serial # & model # of your rifle, as may be different parts for different variants of the same rifle.

I upgraded the spring on my Crosman Phantom to a gas piston, when a stock screw broke off into the spring housing & I could not get it out.

Hope this helps.