Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Crosman Lever Action 99
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:18 am 

Recently took possession , well I did pay for it, a Crosman 99 Lever Action. Looks fairly good, needs seal kit which I have BUT there is a pellet lodged in the barrell. It is about 2 inches (yes inches) from the end of the muzzle. I have scanned the net and barring having to take it apart which terrifies this old timer does anyone have a suggestion or suggestions (plural) for how to remove this unwanted obstruction, object, bloody pellet so I may begin to enjoy my new rifle. I am in Kingston ON if anyone close has experience. I have examined the blog dismantle and needed smelling salts at the mere thought of having to undertake such a surgical task. H E L P (please)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:59 am 

its a .22 correct ?
so since your not comfortable in dismantling it there are two suggestions
# one place the rifle on its butt barrel facing strait up, then get a piece of thin dowel or barbecue skewer or a drill bit
if using a drill bit use the opposite end of the drill bit
but all must be thinner then a .22 pellet and not touch the sides of the barrel, grab some crazy glue and put a very small
dab on the end of what ever your going to use then slide it down the barrel being carful to keep it centered, ones on top
of the pellet head let it set for a minute or so then try to pull it straight out....the other option is a bit more challenging and you
must be very accurate, you need a very thin drill bit or screw and try to tap the top of the pellet then remove it like a cork
on a bottle....good luck :wink:
P.S. hopefully there is only one pellet jammed and not a bunch behind it :|

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:01 pm 

Ace wrote:
its a .22 correct ?
so since your not comfortable in dismantling it there are two suggestions
# one place the rifle on its butt barrel facing strait up, then get a piece of thin dowel or barbecue skewer or a drill bit
if using a drill bit use the opposite end of the drill bit
but all must be thinner then a .22 pellet and not touch the sides of the barrel, grab some crazy glue and put a very small
dab on the end of what ever your going to use then slide it down the barrel being carful to keep it centered, ones on top
of the pellet head let it set for a minute or so then try to pull it straight out....the other option is a bit more challenging and you
must be very accurate, you need a very thin drill bit or screw and try to tap the top of the pellet then remove it like a cork
on a bottle....good luck :wink:
P.S. hopefully there is only one pellet jammed and not a bunch behind it :|

May I? :)

Durango1941, you can use a 3/16'' drill bit wrapped with wide masking tape, leaving the first 3/4'' free. 3/16'' (0.1875'') is smaller than the .22 cal. bore, the amount of tape necessary to ''shim'' the drill bit tight to the bore will keep it safely far from the bore walls. Turn the drill bit by hand with light pressure, you should be able to gently remove most of the stuck pellet. Or have someone close to you do it for you if you're not comfy with the job. I know someone over here who's a real ''Ace'' in airgun repairs :wink: .

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:30 pm 

Try giving Kyle a phone call at Smith's Army Surplus downtown Kingston! He fixed my 50 year old Crosman SA Colt 44 Pellet gun last year!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:39 pm 

ETBouman wrote:
Try giving Kyle a phone call at Smith's Army Surplus downtown Kingston! He fixed my 50 year old Crosman SA Colt 44 Pellet gun last year!

I am deeply appreciative of Everyone who offered assistance with removing the pellet lodged in my Crosman 99. The methods
you suggested are more tempting and less anxiety producing than what I found on-line which involve stripping the 99 down to its boxer shorts in order to get at the bore. One would think that access point might have been made a bit easier to access given the use it provides for cleaning, object removal etc. I am thinking about the crazy glue at first try and given the close proximity to the muzzle follow up if necessary with the drill bit.
Aye there's the rub: The seals need replacing..(of course they do Jon you didn't get it off the shelf at Army Navy- whom I may contact yet)
which does mean that Pellet Removal by one of those or both methods leaves me still holding a rifle that looks fantastic but only spits gas at you if you try to fire it. Anyway Jon first things first......GET THE PELLET OUT.....don't be daft man...you may be old....ok very old but you are still vertical so get the da_ _ thing working and then you can start bragging about your incredible repair skills.
Seriously, great help guys. Airgunners are the Cat's Meow. That is an old expression isn't it......darn.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:25 am 

Just push it back into the carrier.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:34 pm 

I have 2 Crosman 99, lever action pellet rifles.

Once or twice I have had a pellet lodged in the barrel. I draw the distinction between "lodged" & "jammed", as in my case it is normally caused from low CO2 or pellet getting damaged in loading process.

I find that if I cock the lever & leave it open, the barrel will be open to the loading chamber, and then push the pellet out with a 3/16 x 48 wood dowel. A little bit tricky to do. You almost need 3 hands to do it properly, but this seems to work for me. But have never had one or multiple pellets jammed tightly in the barrel.

Of course, only do above steps once CO2 & all other pellets are removed.

Since it has 2 power setting, I try to shoot it on lower power, until power starts to drop off, and then only take a couple more shots at high power (by pulling the hammer back), before I replace the CO2. Just remember CO2 is cheap, sending it in for repairs can be expensive.

Regarding repairing the seals, etc. I have used R&R Airgun Repair in Stonewall, Manitoba, to repair both of them. He does good work & is reasonably priced.

http://www.randrairgunrepair.com/

The Crosman 99 is a quality vintage air rifle. All metal & real wood parts. It is said to be a replica of the Savage 99 rifle (though I'm not convinced).

It can be a little bit picky about the pellets you use (flathead pellets seem to not load properly, so I switched to round head or hollow points). But has nice accuracy, and functions (cycles) well, once you get use to it. I try to only load 12-13 pellets in the internal magazine (vs. 15 as advertised) to avoid damage to the loading spring.

I have only used it for plinking & target shooting. Have not tried it for pest control, as it shoots at only around 450 fps on high power and around 395 on low. And as with most CO2 air rifles, the power drops off after using it and is temperature dependent.

Wish Crosman would consider re-introducing this air rifle. Is one of the few lever action, replica, .22 cal. CO2 air rifle around.

Good luck.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:47 pm 

Hi again from Kingston.
Well I am chipping away at the Crosman 99. Now attempting to reseal the valve unit. Everything came apart relatively easy and there are great shots on line to guide one. The valve unit it self opens up easily enough but I am at a bit of a loss after several net searches as to how to Extract the parts inside the unit. They appear to be quite lodged in and I am wondering if you have any suggestions as to a best way to remove them without just digging them out with something pointy. I do have whatever a C 99 seal kit comes with including a tiny bit of oil to lube the seals. I can't offer a beer or anything but how about a Giant Thank You. Cant drink it or spend it but they seem to be scarce in our present world reality.
Durango Jon