Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:26 pm 

I oft times see this statement following an add:
"This is a PAL rated rifle so proof of pal and over 18 is required."

Now, as I understand the situation, a person cannot obtain a valid P.A.L. until they
reach either 18yrs age or 19 yrs. age, thus must be 18 or over to hold a valid P.A.L.
Thus, demanding "must be over 18" is a redundant demand, is it not? Saying must
have a valid P.A.L. should be enough, for a firearms-regulated air rifle.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:29 pm 

Location: Southern Gulf Islands, Beautiful British Columbia, Canada
Way back when, Ontario, circa 1974 .................. I obtained my safe gun handling permit at age 16 -how things have changed since then!

Cheers!

Avianmanor

*Air Arms S510 Extra*Artemis M11 MK II*CZ 200S*Benjamin Marauder*Brocock Concept*Cometa Orion*Daystate Huntsman*Daystate Revere*FX Dreamline*FX Streamline*Hatsan BT65*Kral Puncher*Reximex RPA*QB78D*Weihrauch HW100S*Artemis PP700SA*PP750*Snowpeak CP1-M*

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:46 pm 

Good point Daryl. I recently bought a non PAL plinker on the forum and the seller wanted proof I was over 18
Now, I've looked like 96 since I was 16 so I don't think I ever had to produce age of majority proof even when I was in college and university. Nonetheless, seller didn't know me and wanted to be sure I was age of majority so I provided sufficient proof for him.
You can ship with adult signature required, but I think this costs a couple bucks.

))))----//----------==

Iacio ergo sum

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:54 am 

Daryl wrote:
I oft times see this statement following an add:
"This is a PAL rated rifle so proof of pal and over 18 is required."

Now, as I understand the situation, a person cannot obtain a valid P.A.L. until they
reach either 18yrs age or 19 yrs. age, thus must be 18 or over to hold a valid P.A.L.
Thus, demanding "must be over 18" is a redundant demand, is it not? Saying must
have a valid P.A.L. should be enough, for a firearms-regulated air rifle.

You're correct, of course, Daryl. When I posted the requirements for a PAL-rated gun ad in the For Sale section, the suggested wording was, "You must be over 18 and hold a valid PAL to purchase this airgun," Whereas the suggested wording for a <500 gun was, "You must be over 18, but a PAL is not required to purchase this gun." The exact wording was only suggested (but an option to "copy and paste") was also suggested for those in doubt of what was required. Many took to using their own wording, and that was fine, but led to redundancies as you have noted.

I'm just happy to see that, whatever their wording, most members are sticking to the intent of the rule, which was to (a) inform people not aware of the gun laws or the requirements for purchasing air rifles, and demonstrating in clear, frequent statements that this forum does not support, nor tolerate the sale of firearms to unlicensed buyers.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:15 am 

Funny how government brain works...

https://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/en/firearms/minors
With a "Minor's Licence" you can borrow a firearm, you can buy ammunition... but you cannot buy a firearm?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:50 pm 

sillymike wrote:
Funny how government brain works...

https://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/en/firearms/minors
With a "Minor's Licence" you can borrow a firearm, you can buy ammunition... but you cannot buy a firearm?

I understand now, Murray- tks.

Strange indeed sillymike, however in BC, I'm pretty sure you cannot purchase ammo unless 18yrs. of age, Minor's license or not & if 18, must have a P.A.L. but that wording
on the site makes for a strange law/regulation.

I also took and passed the Ontario hunting license test when I was 15 - so 1965 & legally "purchased" my first gun, a 20 bore single shot
immediately after that.

I had been given a .22 by my uncle who had taught me safe gun handling, when I was 12yrs. old. I hunted with it until I could purchase
my first shotgun, which of course was better for bunnies (cottontails), pheasant, ducks and grouse.

Yes indeed, Avianmanor, times have changed. Walking down the street of my home-town with shotgun or rifle over my shoulder, or under my arm used to be a normal occurrence - after I got my
license, of course. Until that time, the .22 was disassembled, wrapped in news-paper and tied to the handlebars of my bike. Once I got to the farm, the screw-driver on the window shelf in the barn was used to reassemble the rifle. There were no laws governing the sale of ammunition that I knew of - I just bought it as needed, from the hardware store on my way to the farm.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:59 pm 

Yeah, different time...

Got my firearm's license when I was 12. Back then you needed to have someone at the police station sign off on it.
- I remember walking in the chief of police office for the "interview"... In hindsight, I'm sure it was all fun and game for him. But it sure did leave an impression on me!