Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:27 pm 

More of the same. Becoming a daily occurrence in major Canadian cities.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/wi ... plocalnews

Can't see stories like this helping our cause in trying to get the replica airgun ban removed from Bill C-21. Isn't there something that can be done about this, other than an outright ban? Logic would dictate that their needs to be some sort of control over the sale of these items. But not an outright ban.

BTW, the Polo Park Mall is the largest shopping mall in Winnipeg. And Portage Ave, is one of the main streets.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:18 pm 

Maybe stop spreading the news, since spreading it is exactly what the anti gun folk want us to do.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:53 pm 

:supz: :prayer: :drinkers:

Tracey Wilson, CCFR

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:05 am 

Tim,

Not sure the burying our heads in the sand and hoping the replica airgun ban will just go away, is the best plan of action.

BTW, I would guess that a lot more anti gun folk follow Global & other national news networks than follow this forum. So reposting it here is probably not really spreading it to them.

I was try to ask if anyone had some ideas on a better way to save my hobby (collecting and shooting replica airguns), than an outright ban. The more of "us" that realize that this is a real problem, the better chance we have to get more of us speak up about it. The whole strength in number idea.

As a CAFTA Governor, what's your thoughts on the matter? What's you end plan? I had a very good discussion with my local MP (Liberal) on the matter. He didn't even know (was never informed) that a replica airgun ban was part of Bill C-21. I gave him a number of suggestions as alternatives to a ban (like introducing a "PAL light" for airguns) , and encouraged him to visit the airgun dept. of our local Cabela's, which is in his riding.

Sorry if I upset you with sharing this news, but I have been collecting replica airguns for almost 45 years, and would like to keep doing so for a while.

Unlike the "Godfather of Airguns" (Tom Gaylord), I feel we are now just entering the "Golden Age" of replica airgun, in terms of features, authenticity, and selection. It would be a shame to not be able to be part of it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:57 am 

Seems like there already is a ban if he foolishly showed it to friend and got charged with possession of a weapon!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:38 am 

I think reporter got it wrong, I don't think there's is a law prohibiting simple weapon possession. Under current laws anything is a weapon if used for attacking or intimidating a person. Water bottle is a weapon if somebody hits you with it.

There's law prohibiting firearm possession without license, but since airguns don't have licensing requirements you can legally possess them. Maybe there was some other charge, like mischief or disturbance of peace, but weapon possession charge seems to be strange.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:09 am 

I am not a expert in the airguns & firearm laws, but have enough common sense to know that brandishing a replica firearm or airgun in a crowded public place, will get you into a heap of trouble.

The firearms laws were changed an number of years ago to include using replica airguns in the commitment of a crime a violation under the Act. Brandishing a replica airgun in public can also be considered a crime, under certain situations. In short, the firearms laws now include anything that can be considered to look like a real firearm.

If we all treated our replica airguns in the same way as a real firearm, we would not be facing a ban, as we now are.

One of the main reasons for replica airguns was to allow for safer realistic firearms training. This incident does not fall into that category.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:51 am 

BB1Shooter wrote:
I am not a expert in the airguns & firearm laws, but have enough common sense to know that brandishing a replica firearm or airgun in a crowded public place, will get you into a heap of trouble.

The firearms laws were changed an number of years ago to include using replica airguns in the commitment of a crime a violation under the Act. Brandishing a replica airgun in public can also be considered a crime, under certain situations. In short, the firearms laws now include anything that can be considered to look like a real firearm.

If we all treated our replica airguns in the same way as a real firearm, we would not be facing a ban, as we now are.

One of the main reasons for replica airguns was to allow for safer realistic firearms training. This incident does not fall into that category.

I'm not a lawyer either but if possession of airgun is illegal, then you can be arrested when you buy an airgun in Canadian Tire. Not to mention that we all can be charged with the "possession" : )

If that guy was charged then probably not for "weapon possession". And of course showing any airgun (replica or not) on public is not a good idea nowadays, I'm pretty sure that if somebody showed something like Benjamin Trail pistol, police would be called just the same.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:51 am 

BB1Shooter wrote:
Tim,

Not sure the burying our heads in the sand and hoping the replica airgun ban will just go away, is the best plan of action.

You have said this over and over and I still do not see how refusing to spread negative propaganda for the press is burying your head in the sand. Aiding the people who are trying to get all guns banned just seems foolish to me. Aiding the wrong side; maybe you should be considering where your head is.

Had my first lever action replica in 1959, so you do the math.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:41 pm 

Tim, feel free to do what you think is right. I will keep trying to get responsible replica airgun users in Canada to see how a group of "bad apples" are ruining our sport/hobby, with the hope that more will take action against Bill C-21.

Our voices must be heard, as these incidences are one of the main reasons for the proposed Ban.

Since this is the "Canadian Airgun Forum" I hope I am mostly reaching concerned airgun users, not the anti-gun lobby.

BTW, the person was charged with "possession of a weapon" and then released. I would hope that the police kept the airgun.

Under certain sections of the criminal code, airguns, esp. replica airguns & replica firearms, are considered firearms, when used for criminal & other purposes. This is not a ban, only part of the rules necessary to maintain a safe society.

In 1959, I was just turning 1 year old, so no, I did not own any airguns then.

But I have been busy since then. My airgun collection now stands at 84 & growing. Most are replicas. Mostly western, & military guns.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:40 am 

BB1Shooter wrote:
Tim, feel free to do what you think is right. I will keep trying to get responsible replica airgun users in Canada to see how a group of "bad apples" are ruining our sport/hobby, with the hope that more will take action against Bill C-21.

Our voices must be heard, as these incidences are one of the main reasons for the proposed Ban.

Since this is the "Canadian Airgun Forum" I hope I am mostly reaching concerned airgun users, not the anti-gun lobby.

BTW, the person was charged with "possession of a weapon" and then released. I would hope that the police kept the airgun.

Under certain sections of the criminal code, airguns, esp. replica airguns & replica firearms, are considered firearms, when used for criminal & other purposes. This is not a ban, only part of the rules necessary to maintain a safe society.

In 1959, I was just turning 1 year old, so no, I did not own any airguns then.

But I have been busy since then. My airgun collection now stands at 84 & growing. Most are replicas. Mostly western, & military guns.

And (like many of us) with C21 the autorities could come at our house and remove them from us for whatever reason and without warning and no possibilities to prevent/stop them :evil:

SilentMan... :drinkers:

6mm
Not enough and to many.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:02 am 

Slientman, that is why I am trying to inform responsible airgun users on the forum to be active in our opposition to the unfair provisions in the airgun section of Bill C-21. Which many MP are unaware of.

If we could all help educate all of the "reasonable" & "open minded" politicians, we might have a chance.

Notice I said reasonable & open minded, as some MPs many be open minded about some things, they are unreasonable & closed minded when it comes to this subject.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:23 pm 

BB1Shooter wrote:
If we could all help educate all of the "reasonable" & "open minded" politicians, we might have a chance.

Notice I said reasonable & open minded, as some MPs many be open minded about some things, they are unreasonable & closed minded when it comes to this subject.

Are you arguing with yourself here?

Also, maybe give the membership here some credit for knowing what is going on, even before you got here to keep us all informed. Reposting and sharing how some hair brained person brandished a replica gun in public can do nothing but assist the anti folks. These headlines are what politicians are pointing to, to support their proposed ban.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:55 pm 

Leon Yrag wrote:
:prayer: :drinkers:

in light of recent posts, mine needs clarification.

i read BB1Shooter's (OP) as a thread about more news stories casting airguns in a negative light.

i had read Mac's post as offering up a suggestion as to what the media might do. (stop it) "..stop spreading the news.."

Tracey Wilson, CCFR

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:40 am 

Leon Yrag wrote:
i had read Mac's post as offering up a suggestion as to what the media might do. (stop it) "..stop spreading the news.."[/size]

I am with you. If I see a headline about the wrongful use of a replica gun, I will not read it, in fact I read/listen to very little mainline media. Having anti propaganda reposted here seems like something an anti-gun activist would do, not someone genuinely interested in the facets of air gunning that are usually discussed here.

Also, media does what will get readers or listeners to pay attention to their articles. Pretty sure I said, politicians are the ones that can point them out. After all, if it is written or posted on the internet, it must be true, right? Although that is a standing joke for many, the sad thing is that it is true for far too many.