Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: New Benjis
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:13 pm 

It's been a good couple of weeks.... received an "as new in box" H9A in .22 from Quinten at Canadian Air Collector and bought model-81's well-cared for E9A in .20.
The E9A arrived as accurate as I can aim it; the H9A required a bit of light smithing - it was shooting left even with the windage adjusted all the way, so I increased the range of adjustment in the windage screw slot with my trusty rattail file. Now they both hit where I point them.
I do love these guns.
Now, if only I could locate a Sheridan wire shoulder stock....

Attachments:
E9A.jpg
E9A.jpg [ 61.18 KiB | Viewed 949 times ]
H9A.jpg
H9A.jpg [ 62.13 KiB | Viewed 949 times ]

Post subject: Re: New Benjis
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:36 am 

Hi, and congrats on these two great plinkers! I have both (in .22), and they're definitely keepers. Regarding your accuracy issue, look to see if there's paint overspray into the barrel at the muzzle end. Accuracy on both of mine increased visibly when I cleaned up the paint and did a gentle re-crowning job. And just like the 13xx/22xx line of pistols, you can polish the trigger parts to get a better feel (easy job). HTH, and enjoy!

Post subject: Re: New Benjis
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:59 am 

Thanks for the pro tips!
My standard procedure with the Crosman Benjis continues to evolve. I shoot them, stock, just to see how they pattern; clean the paint overspray out of the barrel; check the crown; re-crown if necessary; re-blue the crown with Ballistol Quick Browning; gently smooth the trigger and sear contact areas; lightly moly the trigger and sear areas; add a trigger shoe; buff the front post down to yellow brass or add red fingernail polish to improve visibility; sight in for windage at 7 meters and fix the windage adjustment if necessary; then zero them in at 10 or 20, depending on whether I'm going to shoot them in my garage gallery or in the field. The first one I had took a long time to clean; I tried acetone and carb cleaner, but finally settled on industrial paint stripper..... after than some Quick Browning on a q-tip to blacken the bare brass at the crown. It works great.
They all shoot much tighter groups now and will leave one ragged hole if I set up properly with a bag at a bench.
If I can find a couple of spare bolts and valves, I'm going to tinker with improving the air flow to bring them closer to limit.
They aren't that powerful - the .20 will puncture a full Carnation milk can, where my Mark 1 will blow completely through it - but they have a nice balance and accuracy and are very satisfying to shoot.