Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: From Records to Ashes
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 6:29 pm 

The town of Lytton, which set all time Canadian heat records 3 days in a row (the highest was 49.6*C = 121*F) burned to the ground last evening.... The cause of the fire is currently unknown, but it was NOT one of the wildfires in the area....

Over 1000 people were evacuated at a moments notice.... Here is what is left....

Virtually the entire main street of town was razed to the ground.... Within 15 minutes it went from a bit of smoke to a blazing inferno with several buildings on fire.... :o

Bob

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 6:41 pm 

Pestilence, fire, brimstone and gnashing of teeth. Is the end in sight at least?
I was recalling the hottest day I experienced and it was the early 80
s in Trail, BC when the temp hit 44C with high humidity. It was so hot and muggy I felt like the air was holding me upright. I can't imagine what it was like with those hellish temperatures you have there in the west now. My brother sent me a pic of his car thermometer ambient temp from lower mainland and it was showing 51C!

Bob, is fowl play suspected in the destruction of Lytton?

))))----//----------==

Iacio ergo sum

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:01 pm 

Terrible tragedy for sure. Hopefully everyone got out.

Sent from my RMX2111 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:28 pm 

No cause yet determined, but they suspect it may have started from a passing train.... maybe a "hot box" (failing bearing)?.... Before and after....

Bob

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 12:17 am 

As far as heat goes. It's been a dry heat with 42C but 15% humidity for us. Nothing compared to losing a home.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:34 am 

About 90% of Lytton is gone, and 2 are dead.... but several are unaccounted for as the population scattered to several other towns for shelter.... :cry:

Bob

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:50 am 

rsterne wrote:
About 90% of Lytton is gone, and 2 are dead.... but several are unaccounted for as the population scattered to several other towns for shelter.... :cry:

Bob

It was on local news last night - they even speculated the hot box cause of the fire.
I worry about the climate out west, seems it's deteriorating rapidly.
My brother just reminded me about the smoke on the lower mainland ... not looking forward to that.

))))----//----------==

Iacio ergo sum

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:58 pm 

The wife's nephew is just outside Kamloops. He was packing the truck yesterday "just in case".

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 7:12 pm 

Spent a lot of time out there stayed in a few camp site in the area .It always been a hot spot so much fuel for a fire and the wind is always going it was a matter of time ....