Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:17 am 

Looks like the first FT match here in the east is going to happen at Grenville on the 11th. Outdoor gatherings are set to a 25 max attendance, so we should be fine. I am quite sure there are a great number of folks itching to get out and shoot, so just a word of caution, the first 20 shooters to commit to attend will make up the match. The five club members are already committed to attend. Not sure how likely that is, but it has to be said.

We will offer all six classes and responders are asked to state the class they will be participating in. EMT of $20 to the address at the bottom makes things much easier at the match and for me to transfer funds to the GF&GC.

Hunter Division - PCP & Piston
OpenDivision - PCP & Piston
WFTF Division -PCP & Piston
Junior Division - if there are juniors 16 and under

Covid protocol is for masks outdoors optional and indoors mandatory. Social distancing will be practised with score cards not being passed back and forth. We will provide pens and clipboards, but bring your own if you wish. Bring your own hand sanitizer if you choose to use it after pulling the target strings.

The gates will be open at 8:00 AM for setup and the sight in range will be open from 9:00 AM until 9:45 AM.
Shooter's meeting will take place at 10:45 on the sight in range.
We will head out to the course at 10:00 AM to start the match.
It is forecast to be hot, so be sure to bring lots of fluids.

Email at:

cft.mac@gmail.com

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:21 pm 

We are up to 14 committed to attend. I hope a few more will be able to make it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:31 pm 

I have never been to a match, do not know what it entails so I am not a good candidate for this one, but would like to learn more for potential in the future.
I am an average shot so looking for something that I can compete in without being wildly out of it. Are there different flights or any type of handicapping to allow beginners to compete?
Thanks
Rob

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:53 am 

Rob27 wrote:
I have never been to a match, do not know what it entails so I am not a good candidate for this one, but would like to learn more for potential in the future.
I am an average shot so looking for something that I can compete in without being wildly out of it. Are there different flights or any type of handicapping to allow beginners to compete?
Thanks
Rob

Hunter class is a good place to start. You can shoot off a seat or pail with the use of a monopod to help support your rifle. You get a single point when you hit the target faceplate and 2 points if you knock it down. Knowing the trajectory of your pellet and where it will hit at any distance between 10-55 yards will help. Strelock and Chairgun are apps that will help you get in the ballpark if you know your gun's muzzle velocity and pellet weight. Rangefinding the targets is a skill you will need to learn. Whoever you are paired with to shoot will also give you some tips if you ask.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:06 am 

Thanks Rob G.
I have been looking for somewhere to shoot other than my 10 yard basement for quite a while. I am a member of an indoor range but it is only 25 yards and has been closed due to covid for a long time. I live in a city (Richmond Hill, Ontario) and every range within 150 km (or more) seems to be full and not accepting new members.
Anyone have any suggestions on where to get some practice in?
I am open to traveling an hour or two and spending some (not thousands, but some).

Thanks,
Rob

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:49 pm 

Rob, Rob G gave some good advice on where to start.

How far are you from the HAHA club which is close to the border between Hamilton and Ancaster? Pretty easy access from major highways and I think they have a match on the Saturday, two weeks after this one. Could be worth a trip to talk to the guys and see what everyone is shooting. You will see fairly basic to exotic.

You certainly are welcome to come and observe a match at Grenville, but this is going to be a fairly long drive compared to HAHA.

Hope to meet you at one of the venues.