Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Hi from Winnipeg
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:17 pm 

My name is Rudy;

I'm old old pellet gun 'enthusiast'. ( & I use that term loosely...LOL). I'm not that avid, but I just recently got out my old Diana RWS Model 36 air rifle & started having fun with it again.

I had it rebuilt quite a few years ago by Peter Krause in Toronto & he did an excellent job! But it's been sitting for awhile & I lent it to. friend who I think didn't use the paper 'heavy' pellets for it. Since getting it back from him, I think it may have lost some power again.

I'm wondering if there;'s any way to test the "FPS" on a .177 air rifle?

Thanks in advance;
Rudy

Post subject: Re: Hi from Winnipeg
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:17 am 

Hi welcome to CAF Rudy nice intro... 8) :wink:
only real way to accurately test FPS is with a crony, nice Diana enjoy 8)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:38 am 

Welcome Rudy - like Ace noted, a chronograph is needed for testing velocity.
There are many makes, some quite inexpensive and only for air guns, others - well, the "sky" (Doppler Radar) is the limit.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:09 am 

Yes, we need to use a chronograph to see how fast the pellet flies...

What's the airgun you want to check?

If a fixed barrel, like PCP, CO2, side lever, under lever springer, I would recommend the FX pocket chrony, our AGS store has some in stock.

https://www.airgunsource.ca/us/fx-radar ... graph.html

The FX is easy to connect to the App and check everything on your device handy. But to my experience, the best way to use it is attach it on the muzzle not on a tripod... So is not good for break barrels...

And other traditional cbrony, better verify the light kits or check if working good in any given environment illuminating conditions...

And if you don't mind waiting, check Aliexpress for good price. But you need to handle those budget chronies with care as they can be easily broken (physically, like drop to the ground something... I broke the shell of mine in an accident, But looks still working after I fixed it with some duct tapes....)

Maybe you can also post a wanted ad and maybe some one would like to sell his F1 or etc which looks can last and work forever....

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:53 am 

Welcome Rudy. The Dianas are fine rifles, I believe the 36 is the same action as the 34 but in a fancy stock. Friends frequently don't look after your stuff as you would, so you could start with a basic inspection, examine the lockup and breach seal, lube the seal with some silicone oil, and shoot some groups. The main spring and or piston seal could be damaged by abuse, or they may be fine. Open it up and have a look, if there is nothing obviously wrong, lube and reassemble. As for the actual power level, as the others have said you need to shoot it over a chronograph to measure the speed. With standard pellets, you should be getting around 800 fps. Buy, Beg or Borrow a chrony and you will know for sure.
:drinkers:

))))----//----------==

Iacio ergo sum

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:18 pm 

Thanks everyone for the input. Well, I guess I'm hooped as I have no way of getting a Chronometer.
What I forgot to mention was that when Peter rebuilt the rifle years ago; he called me with 'good news/ bad news'. he said that there were no rebuild kits available for the Model 36 anymore, but he did have a kit for another Diana Model ( can't remember now which one???) that would work for the model 36 & boost its FPS to 1000FPS. I said that's awesome. Go for it! Which he did.
It was super powerful of course when I got it back from him, but as I mention above, it doesn't seem to be anymore. Don't get me wrong. It still has really good power though. I was shooting at a tin can last week on a hard , dry mud road & when I missed the can I could easily hear the PZEEEW! Riccochet ! I also shoot at some treetops about 200 feet away & I could hear the pellet just ZIPPPING! through the leaves!

I'm thinking that maybe I'll just sell the Diana & get a newer 1200 FPS rifle at Cabelas. Either a Gamo Varmint ($179.99) or a Stoeger 400L On sale now for $199.00.

Which of these two rifles would you recommend over the other? & why?

Thanks guys!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:49 pm 

elkabong wrote:
I'm thinking that maybe I'll just sell the Diana & get a newer 1200 FPS rifle at Cabelas. Either a Gamo Varmint ($179.99) or a Stoeger 400L On sale now for $199.00.

Neither of those rifles will be an improvement over a Diana 36 - and don't expect to get the "advertised" velocities with real lead pellets. I don't now the tuner "Peter" you speak of, but some quick googling confirms the 36 has identical action to the 34 which is perhaps the most popular Diana ever - there are tons of tuning parts, replacement parts etc for this gun, and anyone with some basic tools and ability can install them. If you don't have the ability to tune it, then you'd be better off finding someone current on this forum to tune it for you and get you back in action than buying one of the crappy Cabelas cheapo rifles. My 2c.

))))----//----------==

Iacio ergo sum

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:29 pm 

OH! I'm surprised at your response. I thought my Diana was "Old Technology" & that these other two rifles I mention are 'better'? As in "New Technology"?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:31 pm 

[emoji38] Nah~ the simple spring powered break barrels will never get old and fade out~

Compared to the new stuff which making more profit and cutting more costs, I prefer a good old one much better than a brand new one from the box... (for example I got a nice HW35E in walnut and an almost older than me FWB300SU...)

https://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2019/05 ... 35-part-1/

Interesting reading about the Diana 35 from Tom Gaylord (B. B. Pelletier)~

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:45 am 

i know peter very well, from what I've been told he no longer does repairs...
if you need someone to have a look at your 36 PM me...I can also tell you what its current FPS is :wink:
also why would you want a springer pushing 1200fps....at that speed you not going to have good accuracy
and it will be breaking the sound beerier and will be loud, not something you'd want in a springer :|

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:56 pm 

Welcome to the forum !

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:16 pm 

Ace wrote:
i know peter very well, from what I've been told he no longer does repairs...
if you need someone to have a look at your 36 PM me...I can also tell you what its current FPS is :wink:
also why would you want a springer pushing 1200fps....at that speed you not going to have good accuracy
and it will be breaking the sound beerier and will be loud, not something you'd want in a springer :|

Hi Ace;
Thanks for your input.
I'll PM you right away.
Thx;
Rudy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:54 am 

Robert powell wrote:
Welcome to the forum !

Thanks Robert!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:40 am