Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Acceptable Group Size
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:47 pm 

What would be an acceptable group size for something like Gamo Accu 177, 25 yards, with Superdomes or Diabolo Exact ?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:03 pm 

Depends what you're trying to do with the rifle - and how you're shooting it.
Off a bench or rest the rife should be capable of 1/2" groups with the right pellets. I'd say that's as good as an "average" enthusiast could do. Now shooting offhand, maybe a 1" group would be acceptable. HIH
What size groups are you getting, and have you tried a lot of different types of pellets?

))))----//----------==

Iacio ergo sum

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:08 pm 

Bench rest, Diabolo Exact are more than an inch, Superdomes maybe an 1.5", Crosman Hollowpoint over 2". I am starting to think that there is something wrong with this rifle, it shoots like a shotgun.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:28 pm 

Have you chronied the rifle? On-line it's claiming to be pretty powerful. For good groups you's want to be around 800-900 fps with diabolo pellets, the domed ones should be the best. Try some heavy JSB pellets and see how those group. I'm thinking something in the 10+ gr range.

))))----//----------==

Iacio ergo sum

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:03 pm 

I am at 786 ft/s average, 25 ft/s spread on 20 pellet group with domed diabolo exact, 8.44 gr
Let me try something heavier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:11 pm 

Speed is OK, so then try some JSB exacts , they are also around 8.4 gr. and do well in mist rifles.

))))----//----------==

Iacio ergo sum

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:25 pm 

The domed diabolo exact I have are the JSB brand. I am thinking I will get some JSB Match Diabolo Exact Heavy - 10.34 gr, RWS Supermag - 9.3gr and Crosman Premier Ultra Magnum - 10.5gr to try.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:25 am 

You might want to try changing up your bench rest bags. I have two Crosman Phantoms (.177&.22) that will not shoot well off my Caldwell front bag. The large (about the size of a concrete block) front bag seems to offer too much grip, not allowing the guns to move around consistently. Switching to a much smaller front bag allowed the gun to move around easier and more consistently during the shot cycle.
At 20 meters, I was getting 2-3" groups with the Caldwell bag. That shrunk to .5" with a smaller bag. I couldn't figure out why both guns shot well offhand, but really sucked off bags. The two Phantoms are the only guns I have that exhibit this phenomenon.

Nothing works and I don't know why.

Two lathes and too many projects

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:58 am 

Get a foot square of velvet from sewing or craft store and lay on front bag. Give enough slippage for the gun to move.

What is best group size for a gun, my worst gun has to to shoot as good as my best gun. If I can not get on a good run of hitting 1/4" and at least touch it then I lose interest in gun pretty quickly. But some days it is you just shooting it different. I keep going back to gun on different days to see if magic is back. Most times the magic does come back and get on another good run and I try to keep it going as long as I can.

If a gun never gets on the magic run, gun has to go. But for me it takes many months to get to that point. I am not one to sit down and change my sights if something seems off. I figure it is me and I come back later and sights are back. Everytime I shoot bad and change my sights I almost always have to change them back to where they were when I changed them.

Same as when going to a bow shoot. I take out my three bows and shoot them the week before. Which ever I shoot the best I practise with it for a couple days and take it to the bow shoot. It is not always the same bow. I enter the class which the bow qualifies in.

CHEERS!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:50 am 

Ammo matters and the JSB Diablo's should be a good benchmark to start from. I found them to be the best all around pellets to start testing as they seem to shoot well in everything. Not the best for all but reliably good for everything I've shot.

Off the bench with a springer is not guaranteed accuracy. Many/most springers need to move on their own to achieve consistency. Consistency leads to accuracy. You can try shooting with your hand between the rest and the stock. For testing springers I use a rest made from a paint roller which allows the recoil to act naturally forwards and back while providing a soft compliant surface for other movements. Seems to make a difference even with a TX200 @ 10m.

Check out this link from another member, Penage Guy on this forum.

https://www.airgunforum.ca/forums/viewtopic.php?t=56857&view=next

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:44 am 

You guys are onto something, I've been practicing the 'artillery hold' and must say that I am very impressed with the results. Thanks !!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:02 pm 

Ducs wrote:
You guys are onto something, I've been practicing the 'artillery hold' and must say that I am very impressed with the results. Thanks !!

Glad it's working out. Springers are not the easiest to shoot but tremdously satisfying when the skills are aquired. Especially when you hand it to an experinced shooter who never shot springers before. They are left wondering why they can't group when you can.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:47 pm 

Original question -1/2" groups at 20-25 meters for airguns, same size at 100 meters for powder burners. Some of my guns shoot better than 1/2". If they shoot worse than 1/2", I don't keep them. There are exceptions. My .458 Win Mag with a custom 1 in 22" twist barrel for cast bullet shooting won't quite do 1" at 100 meters with cast, but damn it's fun to shoot!

Nothing works and I don't know why.

Two lathes and too many projects

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:41 am 

I tell people, pick what you think is acceptable, not what others tell you.

Always going to be those people that will criticize or comment that it isn't good enough. When who cares, shoot and have fun. You will get better, the more you shoot.

I remember when I was selling an airgun, and a person asked me what group it shot? I told him what I did, and he started to use it as something wrong with the gun. When it was just the shooters fault, and me just plinking and using cheap pellets.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:53 am 

When shooting from the bench, you might try a roller rest for a Springer....

The difference with (lower) and without (upper) is obvious.... It's just a simple 4" paint roller on an axle, sitting in a Vee block.... you rest the forearm on it when shooting from a bench....

Bob