Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 2:00 pm 

So I made the leap and bought an HW50 from the forum store. It arrived yesterday (Thanks Dan for the speedy service!!).

So this morning I unpacked it and tried it out. I have seen enough reviews online that warn of a heavy cocking effort until it breaks in a bit so I was not surprised, but yes, it was a bit stiffer than my Crosman Optimus - especially with the shorter barrel on the HW.

Hearing and feeling a bit of spring twang as well.

I have also seen a number of comments online that the gun will be a bit rough initially. I read one review that said he was feeling grinding when cocking and ended up returning the gun - others indicated that the grinding/roughness went away.

So I have a question since I know that many of you have the same gun. Is it normal to feel some metal on metal type grinding? It happens when cocking the gun and after it is cocked if I move the barrel back and forth through the cocking motion I still feel some dragging even without the spring pressure.

If it was my Crosman and it felt that way I would tear into it with no hesitation.

Should I tear it down and lube it or as recommended by some posts just work through it?

I have run 90 pellets through it at this point. Not sure that I trust my 2nd hand chronograph but it is telling me about 730-760 FPS with H&N FTT 8.64 pellets and 815FPS with Crosman 7.4s.

I do not want to "jump the gun" on opening it up, but I also do not want to let it tear itself up if a quick lube would help.

Thanks,
Rob

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:19 pm 

Yes, sadly the HW50 is notorious for cocking arm galling, and you should take some steps right away to address the issue or you will end up with deep scratches in the compression chamber underside. Sometimes all you need is a good dollop of grease, other times a nylon insert is needed.
If that is the only problem, it's easy to address, but since we can't hear or see whats grinding it could be something else. So grease her up and see if the grinding stops, then seek a permanent solution. If still grinding, then maybe something internal. HIH. :drinkers:

))))----//----------==

Iacio ergo sum

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:27 pm 

I had 4 or 5 HW 50 new and used never remember them galling and i hate opening up new guns but if it is grinding i would send it back

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:55 pm 

To check or just see if galling or not, at least you need to remove the stock, right? If so, would it void the warranty?

I also heard that in the later makes, HW had addressed and fixed the problem from the factory before it being sent to the boat...

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:58 pm 

Looks the muzzle speed is not too bad for a brand new out of box break barrel.

And how about the accuracy? grouping well?

You may clean the barrel first... It's easy and should be done on a new gun. At least removing rhe protective grease or something else inside the barrel will improve accuracy and consistency and won't void any warranty....

~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 6:31 pm 

Found this video that says even the newer ones that have a plastic insert intended to address this problem still may need some tweaks.

https://youtu.be/mMkz04uafM8

Still getting used to it and have not mounted my scope yet so not able to do a head to head compare with the Optimus for accuracy.

I suspect that I will eventually get another scope but can only shoot one at a time so for now will move the Veyron 3-12 over from the Optimus.

I know that sounds strange to those of you who have a bunch of guns all with scopes...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 6:35 pm 

The hw50 is a nice little gun.
I did a little tune on one for a member here a while ago. If memory serves me right, the only metal to metal contact was the piston. The cocking arm itself rides on a synthetic bushing retainer thing welded to the tube... So that could be the update.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 7:06 pm 

Rob27 wrote:
I know that sounds strange to those of you who have a bunch of guns all with scopes...

[emoji38] not quite right... Some of us not only have a bunch of guns scoped but also a few spare scopes in the drawer...

~Target~

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:11 pm 

Yeah, I have 7 powder burning rifles, 4 have scopes and they don't ever come off.
Then something like 10 air rifles, and one decent scope to share between them :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:51 pm 

killercrow wrote:
Yeah, I have 7 powder burning rifles, 4 have scopes and they don't ever come off.
Then something like 10 air rifles, and one decent scope to share between them [emoji38]
I don't like the zeroing practice... So once I put a scope on I usually won't take it off again... So now, I got 'a few' scopes...

~Target~

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:14 pm 
Site Moderator

"It happens when cocking the gun and after it is cocked if I move the barrel back and forth through the cocking motion I still feel some dragging even without the spring pressure."

It sounds like the jointed linkage is rubbing. I would remove the stock to have a look for scratches/evidence. Maybe it's missing the Teflon insert or the insert moved.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 4:39 pm 

Thanks for the comments. As I said, I am hesitant to rip into a new gun, at the same time there should be no magic here, find the part that is rubbing and lube it or ease it.

Otherwise the gun looks nice and seems to group better with iron sights than the Crosman.

Will be interesting to compare when I add a bit of preload to the Crosman to get the speed similar. Then shoot some groups and swap the scope to the HW.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 4:58 pm 

Weihrauch makes great guns~ You have better barrel, better trigger, better material and better craftsmanship on your German HW50 than the Crosman, I see no reason the HW would not shoot better than the Crosman.

And IMO, when you shoulder the HW50, and find your body doesn't refuse handling this rifle, and you also like how it looks, and balance... Then I don't see a reason you will return it.

Everything about the power, grouping, springs, sleeves, pistons, galling... Everything hidding inside the stock can be fixed and improved. It's an European rifle made in Germany, not made with pot metal. So, just go ahead to take it into bits and used the knowledge and experience you got from the Crosman and with some YouTube videos, give it a check up, a deep clean, a re lube or some other service you want.... You will be impressed again. I truly believe that~

~Target~

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:52 am 
Site Moderator

You don't have to tear into the rifle to fix the galling. Just remove the stock. You should be able to see the problem and lube from there. If you need to fix the slider then maybe the hinge bolt would have to come out. When I know I am keeping a wood stocked rifle, one of the first things I do is remove the stock and seal up all the inletting so oils don't soak into the wood.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:03 pm 

TCooper wrote:
... one of the first things I do is remove the stock and seal up all the inletting so oils don't soak into the wood.

Thanks for this. What do you mean by "all the inletting"?

I was actually going to ask a different question about stocks and waterproofing.

The outside of the stock is nicely varnished but the inner parts are raw wood. My old shotgun used to get completely drenched when hunting ducks in the rain but cannot remember ever doing anything to protect it...

I have become much more of a fairweather shooter and none of my guns have been close to water in decades.

Thanks
Rob