Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 3:13 pm 

I'm looking at purchasing a new BB pistol and was wondering what the collective knowledge of this forum thinks is better than a Umarex GEN 4 GLOCK17. Better to me means reliable, well built and not ridiculously expensive.

I'm not worried if it is less than a perfect replica.

Thanks for any input you may offer.

Threemorewishes

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:12 pm 

I have the Glock 19 bb by Umarex that is sold at Princess Auto.
It is a non-blowback version. The trigger is looooong and heavy but otherwise it is a pretty close feel to the 9mm version (other than the kaboom and the recoil).
It has a 15 shot magazine (can stuff it to 16) and I get 5 to 6 mags per CO2 cartridge.
I have had a lot of fun shooting it in my basement.
I think that I paid a bit under $100 on sale at one point. Plus a jug of 6000 BBs and a carton of CO2 cartridges. One stop shopping and you are set for some fun.
Make sure that your backstop is absorbent enough to catch the BBs since they will ricochet like crazy from anything hard.
Eye protection is of course a good idea.
I also have a Crosman 2240 but have more fun with the BB gun.
My opinion only of course.
Rob

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:14 pm 

Huummm, have you consider the Barra 009, it is more accurate (shoot's a bit low but centered a lot better then the G17), have the fun switch (full auto) and is a G18C. About the same size as the G17 gen 4. Full size drop out mag. I have them both and are fun to shoot. By the way both mag are interchangeable...

SilentMan... :drinkers:

6mm
Not enough and to many.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:36 pm 

I concur with what Rob has to say.

I have the Glock 17 Gen 4, the Glock 19x, Glock 19 Gen 3, and Glock 18 copy the Barra 009.

All are blow-back except for the the Glock 19 Gen 3.

All are fun to shoot. But with the Barra 009 you not only get full blow-back like the 17, you also get select fire (semi & full auto).

https://barraairguns.com/products/barra ... -bb-pistol

The 17 Gen 4 & the 009 are very similar airguns, other than the Glock logos & design, and they use the same magazines. So you can Glock your Barra up by using a Glock magazine in it. The full auto "fun switch" is really something you should try.

A quick video on the 009 (there are lots more):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nK3Llf7A3nU

The 17 & the 009 are similarly priced at AGS:

https://www.airgunsource.ca/us/barra-00 ... istol.html

So they may be almost twice the price of the non blowback Glock 19 but they really are twice the fun.

Let's just hope that they come out with an extended magazine for the Barra 009 or Glock 17 Gen 4.

Also check my previous post on the similarity between the real Glock 18 & the Barra 009.

And to confuse the decision making even more, check out my post on the soon to come out pellet shooting Glock 17 Gen 5.

Good luck in you decision making, You really can't go wrong with any of the choices.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:00 am 

I'd say KWC 1911 is good. Hard to say if it's better or not, there are a lot of variations of 1911 including Umarex one, but basically they are made by KWC. Full metal, full blowback and mine shoots better than my Umarex G17g4. Very solid gun, definitely worth to have it. I'm not sure if Umarex fixed problem with Glock, but be prepared to buy a laser sight for it, all reviews I read say that it shoots way low. But it's still absolutely amazing replica and fun to shoot if you aim higher or have laser sight.

If all you looking for is reliability, then generally saying the less moving parts in gun the more reliable is should be. I think most reliable and accurate and inexpensive air handgun I have is Beeman P-17 but it's a pellet gun and single shot.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:03 am 

I previously never bought into the whole "Glock" thing. Then a friend that came over to shoot airguns asked if I had a Glock replica, as that's what he was shooting at a gun range near his winter home in Arizona.

So I got the 17 Gen 4 & 19x, when they came out, & expanded my collection from there.

But that said, I am still a big fan of the KWC 1911. I have a pair of Umarex, Colt licensed, 1911 Combat Vet, limited edition pistols (made by KWC). They are real fun to shoot. Realistic blow-back, all metal & weathered to look like they were from WWII. Also very simple to field strip. Probably some of the most realistic looking replicas I own. They are also the most accurate blow-back CO2 pistol I have shot. No need to adjust your point of aim, as the fixed sights are dead on, in my 24 ft. basement range. I have had them for 5 years, and still use them regularly.

FYI, the Colt 1911 has been one of the top handguns in the world, since 1911.

And just one tip on using the KWC 1911's. Don't over load the magazine with BBs. As it can cause it to jam, when you 1st cock the gun. Better to put one or two less BBs in the mag.

Also must mention that you should not overlook one of the most iconic handgun ever made. The Colt 1873 "Peacemaker" replica, made by Umarex is an extremely accurate replica of the "gun that won the west". Right down to the shell loading & 4 clicks on the hammer. I own 6 of them in different models & barrel lengths & pellet as well as BB. I even found a forum member to convert one into .22 cal. for me.

The basic model is currently on sale for a very reasonable price of $125 at AGS.

airgunsource.ca/us/colt-peacemaker-saa-bb-revolver-nickel-finish.html

Cabela's was clearing out the 3.5 inch weathered, "Ace in the Hole" model for just $99.97 a while a go, but may not be any left at that price.

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/101229/u ... air-pistol

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:28 pm 

I tough you were referencing for Glock only, but yes the KWC 1911 is my favorite ones to. I had 4 gun's (.177) at a time, now only 2 (.177) are still in my collection... To many choice...

SilentMan... :drinkers:

6mm
Not enough and to many.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:27 pm 

umarex glock gen4 4.5mm is nice, but some parts are not removable and parts are hard to find on the internet so i wonder how am i suppose to fix the gun when i broke and where can i buy some spare parts. For example, the hammer set, nozzle.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:00 pm 

koogo123 wrote:
umarex glock gen4 4.5mm is nice, but some parts are not removable and parts are hard to find on the internet so i wonder how am i suppose to fix the gun when i broke and where can i buy some spare parts. For example, the hammer set, nozzle.

I think R&R airgun repair is Canadian Umarex warranty provider (https://randrairgunrepair.com/), I guess you can contact them and ask if they sell parts. Or ask Umarex directly.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 7:57 pm 

scanny wrote:
koogo123 wrote:

I think R&R airgun repair is Canadian Umarex warranty provider (https://randrairgunrepair.com/), I guess you can contact them and ask if they sell parts. Or ask Umarex directly.

That's correct. But be warned, Umarex classifies all of these types of airguns, as replace not repair. Meaning, if there is a warranty issue, They (Umarex thru R&R) will just replace it with a new one, in most cases. R&R may be able to get some parts from Umarex to repair out of warranty guns.

So, I would start with contacting R&R.