Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Re: Cometa Fusion
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 3:21 pm 

I am tempted to try their gas piston Lt but I am just as happy with the spring piston version. If a used one ever pops up at a descent price I may have to jump on it. Even the all black galaxy would add some color change but I'm really a wood stock kind of guy.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:57 pm 

Here's a update of the Fusion.

One idea is to have a smooth-shooting and accurate break-barrel springer. Always trying to smooth the rifle and shoot better. In these two years for me, progress has been steady. It's been a short enough time that I can remember the markers, times when I started shooting better, what it looked like.

Part of the fun of having three of them is swapping parts. A barrel here, a trigger there. Even the stocks for a time. Maybe not this Fusion as much as the other two. The Fusion has consistently been the easiest to shoot accurate. They were all shooting well going into the warm weather last year. Then I was working them, returning the swapped parts. And I was shopping for a scope, it took a while, it wasn't easy. I wasn't shooting well.

I tried something new when I was mounting the scope. Anyway, this combo settled in a bit. Maybe I settled in too. It's shooting really accurate now. More very good targets on pages.

Very happy with this Fusion.

Attachments:
IMG_1184 copy.JPG
IMG_1184 copy.JPG [ 108.41 KiB | Viewed 458 times ]

.177 Cometa Fusion, Vantage 3-9x40
.177 Cometa Fenix LT, Endurance 4-16x50
.22 Cometa Fenix, Airmax 3-9x40

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:04 am 

I ended up buying 2 cometa fenix 400 LT from Canadian gun collecter . 177, and 22cal.
They were in non pal versions and I have been messing with tuning them . I had planned on using a Jim Macarri E3650 spring in both but that is a no go. Only way they would work with that spring is a really thing steel sleeve. Tried a .010 plastic sleeve but it wore through in 40 shots. The spring was a snug fit inside the sleeve and 40th shot was still shooting 730 fps with 14.66 gr H&N pellets. I'm sure it would be a nice spring if I could find the right sleeve material.

Going to spin up a few tophats tomorrow for the factory full power cometa spring. See what kind of fps it will produce with that spring.
Going to knock the plastic sights off and make up some carbon fiber bull barrels.
It will be a fenix hybrid.
Trigger has also been polished along with the regular lube and tune for rhe rest of the gun.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 2:37 pm 

nitris223 wrote:
I ended up buying 2 cometa fenix 400 LT from Canadian gun collecter . 177, and 22cal.
They were in non pal versions and I have been messing with tuning them . I had planned on using a Jim Macarri E3650 spring in both but that is a no go. Only way they would work with that spring is a really thing steel sleeve. Tried a .010 plastic sleeve but it wore through in 40 shots. The spring was a snug fit inside the sleeve and 40th shot was still shooting 730 fps with 14.66 gr H&N pellets. I'm sure it would be a nice spring if I could find the right sleeve material.

Going to spin up a few tophats tomorrow for the factory full power cometa spring. See what kind of fps it will produce with that spring.
Going to knock the plastic sights off and make up some carbon fiber bull barrels.
It will be a fenix hybrid.
Trigger has also been polished along with the regular lube and tune for rhe rest of the gun.
Yeah, sounds like the stuff.

I've made very durable plastic sleeves for Crosman rifles. But my experience with my Cometa was like yours: plastic sleeves failed. I used the side of a paint can (see photo), is it steel ? I don't remember how thick. Thinner anyway than the factory one.

I like the Cometa tophat, I'd like it with a slighter larger diameter flange.

Attachments:
IMG_E1142 copy.JPG
IMG_E1142 copy.JPG [ 180 KiB | Viewed 423 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:03 pm 

I might try a shorter tophat and longer spring guide at the back.

Stephen if you want a tophat made to try just let me know. I have steel, aluminum and delrin 150 on hand.
Just shoot me a pm.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:11 pm 

I tried 3 different top hats with the E3650 spring. All the same length as factory guide just a tighter fit. They were steel, aluminum and delrin. FPS was basically the same. Couldn't really tell any difference in shot cycle as for harsh or soft as I was standing and shooting over the chrono from the hip. Honestly they all felt the same from the hip shooting.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:48 pm 

Made a 1.5" tophat out of steel. Stock is 2.5". Rear spring guide is now 3" instead of the stock 2" length. 1 slip washer in front of the tophat and 1 under the spring at the rear and 1 more under the delrin spring guide. So 5/32" extra compression over stock configuration.
It's got quite the thump and shooting 730 fps on average with FTT 14.66gr 5.53 head size.
I'll do the 177 tomorrow and then figure out the carbon fiber tube sleeves after that.
Then sit down and do some shooting to see which pellets they like.

I'll swap the top hats again for delrin and see if it makes any difference.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:29 pm 

Stephen, how did you get your front sight cover off. Did you use heat or just knock it off with a 2x4

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:55 am 

nitris223 wrote:
Stephen, how did you get your front sight cover off. Did you use heat or just knock it off with a 2x4
I didn't use anything, just sort of tore it off. It was destroyed in the process.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:58 am 

nitris223 wrote:
I tried 3 different top hats with the E3650 spring. All the same length as factory guide just a tighter fit. They were steel, aluminum and delrin.
It's so cool you have those materials and can machine them