Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Cometa Fusion
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:12 pm 

I got a Cometa Fusion .177 495 fps from Canadian Air Collector. I’ve had it less than 2 weeks. I paid $175 before taxes and shipping. It’s like new, I couldn’t tell if it had even been shot. It came in the original box and plastic sleeve, no papers or anything else. D&L has the fully new rifle for sale at $319.

I had looked at Cometa rifles before. They seemed handsome and a good value, of exotic Spanish manufacture. But I didn’t see easy parts availability, like I enjoy with the Crosmen. I passed.

But after I found the Fusion on Air Collector, I saw that D&L carries many parts for the Cometa springers. So I bought it.

I like it. There’s a couple things you notice right away.

One is the stock. It’s handsome, nice matte finish, light to touch. It has very nice chequering on the forestock and pistol, and it feels like it should, really nice grip. It just kinda works.

The other is the barrel and air stripper. In reviews and forums, people have fussed about this air stripper, they just don’t get it. I don’t understand their fuss, I’m interested in air strippers. And this one isn’t just cosmetic. I read somewhere that it’s a whole barrel design. There is only 12” of rifling, then channels that lead into the stripper, or something like that.

The Fusion has a good trigger, quite a step up from the Crosman triggers. I haven’t researched or adjusted it yet. There are 2 adjustment screws.

Even though it’s a rather long rifle, it feels light. It has a very nice balance, goes to the shoulder well. It feels nice offhand.

I didn’t do anything to it. I scoped it and started shooting. It wants to be accurate, I managed to dig some holes. But it doesn’t seem to like my bench rest. And I haven’t quite figured a hold for it.

After a week, I took it apart. Smooth and lube, etc. See Mods and Repairs

Attachments:
IMG_0567 copy.JPG
IMG_0567 copy.JPG [ 199.95 KiB | Viewed 3414 times ]
IMG_0568 copy.JPG
IMG_0568 copy.JPG [ 112.31 KiB | Viewed 3414 times ]

.177 Cometa Fusion, Vantage 3-9x40
.177 Cometa Fenix LT, Endurance 4-16x50
.22 Cometa Fenix, Airmax 3-9x40

Post subject: Re: Cometa Fusion
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:22 am 
Site Moderator

Thanks for posting. Looks good! I'm looking forward to reading about the accuracy and shooting behaviour of this rifle.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:45 am 

Yeah, I put my eyes on the Cometa rifles many times too~ this one looks good! Hope it shoot good too when you find your way to handle it especially after the service you just did!

Looking forward on the updates too~

Thanks for sharing!

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:05 am 

A few years ago, before pandemic, I narrowed down my collection to three rifles I would take with me wherever I put down my retirement feet. One of them was my Cometa Fusion. Not only is it a beautiful piece of workmanship but it's as accurate as any of my German rifles. The trigger is also relatively nice. D&L has always supported me with the Cometa products, I was able to source an extra barrel for this rife, so now I have it in dual calibre, .177 and .22. Maybe they are not so popular here, but elsewhere I have found tons and tons of happy Cometa owners in other Forums. Like the Crosman B18/19 variants, the Cometa Fusion/Fenix, and some other models share the same powerplant so parts are pretty easy to get.
Here is mine, .22 cal blonde beauty:

Attachments:
100_2670.JPG
100_2670.JPG [ 181 KiB | Viewed 3363 times ]
100_2672.JPG
100_2672.JPG [ 340.71 KiB | Viewed 3363 times ]
100_2673.JPG
100_2673.JPG [ 278.92 KiB | Viewed 3363 times ]

))))----//----------==

Iacio ergo sum

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:18 am 
Site Moderator

They sure are an attractive rifle. I remember seeing Cometa ads in the British airgun mags.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:25 am 

Dukemeister wrote:
A few years ago, before pandemic, I narrowed down my collection to three rifles I would take with me wherever I put down my retirement feet. One of them was my Cometa Fusion. Not only is it a beautiful piece of workmanship but it's as accurate as any of my German rifles. The trigger is also relatively nice. D&L has always supported me with the Cometa products, I was able to source an extra barrel for this rife, so now I have it in dual calibre, .177 and .22. Maybe they are not so popular here, but elsewhere I have found tons and tons of happy Cometa owners in other Forums. Like the Crosman B18/19 variants, the Cometa Fusion/Fenix, and some other models share the same powerplant so parts are pretty easy to get.
Here is mine, .22 cal blonde beauty:
Thanks Duke. I had read those couple of posts you made a while ago and your positive review of your Premier Star. It totally informed my decision to purchase. There’s still not a lot of information out there. I’m very happy to hear that you kept it. Even after just a couple weeks of ownership I wish to have one of the Star models with cheekpiece. The stamp on the heel is awesome, mine doesn’t have that. I’m ordering the .22 barrel right away.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:26 am 

Ok, more.

It takes a bit of a knock to break it but cocking is nice. It’s a easy pull with the long barrel and 495 spring, sort of long and smooth. It closes positively.

Trigger pull is light out the box, quite a bit lighter than the Crosmen. It’s almost like a 3 stage, on mine. A light little almost first stage, and then I think the real longer firmer first stage, and then a quick short and light 2nd stage. I’m not going to touch the trigger until I sort a couple other things.

The dovetail grooves on the receiver seem short so not a lot of adjustment for eye relief. There are stop pin holes front and rear. I’ll drill a new hole when I get forward reaching mounts.

And the safety has push-pull action on the end. It works there too, different than the trigger ones I’m used to. I was smoothing the edges on that little sucker before I even opened it.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 4:50 pm 

Ok, I didn’t really understand the Automatic Safety concept. I had had been pulling out the little slide before cocking, like I otherwise would with a trigger safety. Then I realized that the safety is set automatically when you cock it, pushes the little slide out. It’s amazing, a whole little safety revelation. So the shooting cycle is a sort of way funner thing. It’s cool!

And this Fusion has got suddenly more accurate. I have a ways to go but bulls and stacking are getting more frequent. I think it’s going to be rivalling the Optimus in accuracy soon. There’s gonna be a shoot out! That’ll be fun.

And I’m waiting on delivery of some items for the Fusion. Scope mounts, which will start a whole little domino effect of scoping in my rifle family. And Cometa parts, available locally! A spare Piston Seal, and a .22 Barrel Assembly. The barrel at an insanely good price of $25 before! I am so stoked.

Anyway, great fun with the Cometa Fusion.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 5:13 pm 
Supporting Members

Thanks for the review. I have often wondered about them. They seem to be a good price point, so It maybe a future gun for me :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 5:14 pm 

Well~ That's a cheap price for a good barrel~

Comparing a HW40 pistol barrel needs about double the price and more to get it delivered to here from UK...

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:42 pm 

I have 2 of the cometa fusion premier's, 177 and 22 cal. Both are shooters . JSB 8.44 and H&N FTT's shoot tight groups . Easy guns to cock. Bot of mine are full power models. I read somewhere that the crosman optimus spring would work in the cometa with a few shims or left as is for a softer tune.

I'm in the market for another 177 but I can't decide what to get. I just finished a lube and tune on 3 crosman optima's which i will now put up for sale soon. . Each one has a different full power tune as to the weight and material of the top hat and spacers. All 3 are so close in fps it was really a wash in the end. Only thing different was a heavy steel tophat had no ping or buzz after it was shot.

I don't think I want another cometa at their present price increase. They are a nice gun but they are creeping up on the price of a Diana and they definitelydon'thave a T06 trigger like the Diana. . When I bought mine I paid $250 new.

Kinda looking at a Diana 34 or a HW 85/95 model. Unless I stumble across another cometa at the right price.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 10:50 pm 

nitris223 wrote:
I have 2 of the cometa fusion premier's, 177 and 22 cal. Both are shooters . JSB 8.44 and H&N FTT's shoot tight groups . Easy guns to cock. Bot of mine are full power models. I read somewhere that the crosman optimus spring would work in the cometa with a few shims or left as is for a softer tune.

I'm in the market for another 177 but I can't decide what to get. I just finished a lube and tune on 3 crosman optima's which i will now put up for sale soon. . Each one has a different full power tune as to the weight and material of the top hat and spacers. All 3 are so close in fps it was really a wash in the end. Only thing different was a heavy steel tophat had no ping or buzz after it was shot.

I don't think I want another cometa at their present price increase. They are a nice gun but they are creeping up on the price of a Diana and they definitelydon'thave a T06 trigger like the Diana. . When I bought mine I paid $250 new.

Kinda looking at a Diana 34 or a HW 85/95 model. Unless I stumble across another cometa at the right price.
Hey Nitris. Not many Cometa owners on this forum.

You can see in my signature that I have two Cometa 400s, a Fusion and a Fenix. I have 4 barrels for them: two .177 Fusion, one .22 Fusion and one .177 Fenix.

Yes, the Crosman springs work very well in these rifles. They have a slightly larger outside diameter than the Cometa springs. This requires replacement of the original steel piston liner with a thinner one. I have my Fusion set up like this, for use with Crosman springs. I got the Fenix and kept the piston assembly original for use with Cometa springs, so that I could shoot the different power plants side-by-side. It’s been really cool.

I like the Optimus too, and I’ve reached a new phase in my air rifle hobby with it. I gave it away, just a week and a half ago. I haven’t removed it from my signature list yet. It was a bit hold-sensitive on the bench, otherwise a very fun and accurate rifle. I had it set up with the original piston, the medium one, and the softest spring. Yeah.

Have you tried tuning the Fusion trigger? Funny, I’ve had my Fusion since August and I hadn’t touched the trigger, didn’t even turn the adjustment screws. A member on here had sent me links for work on Cometa triggers (thanks Duke!). Some days ago I was swapping barrels on the Fusion, it was time for trigger work too. It was just basic smooth and lube but it completely eliminated the sort of false, scratchy 3rd stage. And I’ve been turning the screws. It’s a pretty nice trigger. Again, I’m shooting it side-by-side with the same unadjusted, untuned Fenix trigger, which isn’t bad either.

Something else about the trigger, or trigger assembly rather. It didn’t want to slide out of the tube. I managed to get it out but something had happened. It was the silvery metal that the spring guide is seated in. I hadn’t been in there for quite a few months. Over time, the spring had somehow pushed between the guide and the heavy outer shell of the assembly. The silvery surround was compressed and shaped to the bottom of the spring. This compression had mushroomed the outer shell. It’s why it wouldn’t slide out easy. Sorry, I didn’t take a photo. It’s weird because, like I said, the Crosman springs have a larger outside diameter; I can’t quite figure how it managed to push between the outer shell and the guide. I quickly filed down the mushroomed end and prepared a washer to put under the spring. Seems to be working but it’s not a permanent solution. I need a slightly larger diameter washer and/or a new trigger assembly from D&L.

Anyway, good luck in the search for your next rifle. I’m on the lookout too for a Star model or laminated Cometa, like you said, at a price. I only want it for the stock.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 10:22 pm 

eSteve wrote:
nitris223 wrote:

Hey Nitris. Not many Cometa owners on this forum.

You can see in my signature that I have two Cometa 400s, a Fusion and a Fenix. I have 4 barrels for them: two .177 Fusion, one .22 Fusion and one .177 Fenix.

Yes, the Crosman springs work very well in these rifles. They have a slightly larger outside diameter than the Cometa springs. This requires replacement of the original steel piston liner with a thinner one. I have my Fusion set up like this, for use with Crosman springs. I got the Fenix and kept the piston assembly original for use with Cometa springs, so that I could shoot the different power plants side-by-side. It’s been really cool.

I like the Optimus too, and I’ve reached a new phase in my air rifle hobby with it. I gave it away, just a week and a half ago. I haven’t removed it from my signature list yet. It was a bit hold-sensitive on the bench, otherwise a very fun and accurate rifle. I had it set up with the original piston, the medium one, and the softest spring. Yeah.

Have you tried tuning the Fusion trigger? Funny, I’ve had my Fusion since August and I hadn’t touched the trigger, didn’t even turn the adjustment screws. A member on here had sent me links for work on Cometa triggers (thanks Duke!). Some days ago I was swapping barrels on the Fusion, it was time for trigger work too. It was just basic smooth and lube but it completely eliminated the sort of false, scratchy 3rd stage. And I’ve been turning the screws. It’s a pretty nice trigger. Again, I’m shooting it side-by-side with the same unadjusted, untuned Fenix trigger, which isn’t bad either.

Something else about the trigger, or trigger assembly rather. It didn’t want to slide out of the tube. I managed to get it out but something had happened. It was the silvery metal that the spring guide is seated in. I hadn’t been in there for quite a few months. Over time, the spring had somehow pushed between the guide and the heavy outer shell of the assembly. The silvery surround was compressed and shaped to the bottom of the spring. This compression had mushroomed the outer shell. It’s why it wouldn’t slide out easy. Sorry, I didn’t take a photo. It’s weird because, like I said, the Crosman springs have a larger outside diameter; I can’t quite figure how it managed to push between the outer shell and the guide. I quickly filed down the mushroomed end and prepared a washer to put under the spring. Seems to be working but it’s not a permanent solution. I need a slightly larger diameter washer and/or a new trigger assembly from D&L.

Anyway, good luck in the search for your next rifle. I’m on the lookout too for a Star model or laminated Cometa, like you said, at a price. I only want it for the stock.

I haven't been inside of mine for a few years now. I know I replaced the tophats and spring guides for tighter fitting ones that I made on the lathe and the usual deburr any sharp edges.
I did mess with the trigger adjustment some but just enough to get a lighter trigger. At least that's what I can remember. Lol

The cometas get shot a lot more then my theoben crusader that's for sure.
I'm just waiting for some carbon fiber tube to come in and I will be making the crosman optimus guns look like they have a carbon bull barrel. Then most likely sold off along with the turkish webley patriot thats been tuned ,but still to much gun for target shooting. I'll replace them with another 177 and 22 cal gun when I find the right one.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 11:11 pm 

Ok, my one Cometa rifle turned into three, you can see in my updated signature. I just got the Fenix LT some weeks ago. I’m writing a very long and boring review of that rifle, that I may post.

Each time I get another crappy rifle, I’m not just opening up that one and smoothing it out. I’m looking at the others too, with different eyes. Then I’m swapping parts and stuff. It’s cool. So it’s been with this Fusion.

I’m stickin’ my neck out here again, posting some targets as an update. You gotta realize, I’m sort of a hack. The guys at West Coast HFT can tell you, I’m totally green. I can make a good shot, maybe a string of them if I’m trying. I like it and it’s fun.

Anyway, it’s about the Fusion. The first two photos are from the end of January, after I got the first Fenix. If I can get about 80% of shots in a half inch, I’m sort of happy with that. Groups show something, but that’s not what it’s about for me. It’s about how often I can hit a certain size target, at distance. I mostly shoot 17m indoors, 1/4 inch targets. That’s what these photos are.

In the first photo, the right column is the Fusion. You can see I’m getting 80 - 90% in a half inch, maybe 3/8. The second photo is the whole page, it’s the same. Maybe 90% in a half inch or 3/8. I want to tell you that these Cometa barrels are nice. I’ve got a bunch of them, they all shoot straight. I’d like to see what a FT guy could do here. And the barrels aren’t pellet picky, I can’t think of any quality brands or models they don’t like. But they don’t favour larger diameter pellets, maybe .01 mm oversize. The Fenix .22 barrel seems ok with larger diameters tho.

Ok, the last photo is from this week, since I got the LT. Again, the 2nd column is the Fusion.

I want to tell you how easy it is to work on these Cometas and shoot them. The Fusion was still shooting well but cocking had got a bit chunky and it was down on power a little. I’ll save the details for Mods and Repair. But what I did was reinstall the original .177 barrel, massaged the plastic piston liner I had previously made and installed, and the foot of the cocking arm(?), and swapped out the one-piece rear spring guide/trigger pack for the sweet new two-piece combo from the LT.

New Cometa triggers shoot quite well but they all have a gritty, stepped second stage, until you polish them. That’s my experience and Big Dan in the UK says it in all his videos, he’s probably made a half dozen or more reviews of Cometas. It’s not a bad thing, I sort of miss that step after I polish them.

Anyway, I haven’t polished the LT trigger yet so it still has the stepped second stage. So after the fun and easy maintenance, cocking the Fusion is smoother than it’s ever been. Normal power has been restored. And you can see I’m hitting about that same 80% right away, even with a gritty trigger. And a fixed mag 4x32 scope. Oh, and the spring guide on the old one-piece trigger is metal. The shot cycle used to end with a subtle but distinct ping or soft clang. The new guide is plastic, I want to say delrin. The shot now ends with a soft thud. Shweet.

Attachments:
IMG_0758 copy.JPG
IMG_0758 copy.JPG [ 101.04 KiB | Viewed 2267 times ]
IMG_0759 copy.JPG
IMG_0759 copy.JPG [ 96.04 KiB | Viewed 2267 times ]
IMG_1084 copy.JPG
IMG_1084 copy.JPG [ 106.05 KiB | Viewed 2267 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:03 am 

Sounds like a sweet little sleeper. Thanks for the review!