Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Lubricant
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:49 am 

Since I am new to the airgun hobby I have limited experience regarding lubricants. What is a good quality oil to use to keep my guns in working order for years to come? I see that Canadian Tire sells this Hoppe's No. 9 oil. It gets good reviews. Would this do the job or is there something better?

Post subject: Re: Lubricant
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:57 am 

Just Google that Hoppe's No.9, and the result told me that's actually a gun bore cleaner?!

Looks we don't need this thing on our airguns...

And in general, we use silicone stuff (oil or grease) on PCPs...

Then pellgunoil (from Crosman) or the 30ND compressor oil for co2 guns. I use it on the joints, levers Etc too...

Moly grease (70% up moly) on springer piston, compressor tube, main spring and any metal to metal contact spots...

WD40 if you need on first time barrel cleaning on a new gun...

And you can always ask a more specific question based on different actual case~ ;)

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:28 am 

Yes Hoppe's No. 9 makes a gun bore cleaner and a lube for guns. They are two different products. I was talking about this.
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/hopp ... 5557p.html

I do use the Pellgun stuff on my Co2 cartridges as recommended when installing one. I am looking for something specifically to lube the moving parts of my guns when needed.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:37 am 

YepYep wrote:
Just Google that Hoppe's No.9, and the result told me that's actually a gun bore cleaner?!

Looks we don't need this thing on our airguns...

And in general, we use silicone stuff (oil or grease) on PCPs...

Then pellgunoil (from Crosman) or the 30ND compressor oil for co2 guns. I use it on the joints, levers Etc too...

Moly grease (70% up moly) on springer piston, compressor tube, main spring and any metal to metal contact spots...

WD40 if you need on first time barrel cleaning on a new gun...

And you can always ask a more specific question based on different actual case~ ;)

Piston seal on spring gun silicone oil especially on leather seals older spring guns less is better than more

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:41 am 

[emoji38] got it~ I was thinking 'Hoppe's' is a brand name, then No.9 is a cleaner, maybe a No.10 is a lube.... [emoji38]

If the moving parts are pure metal to metal contact, I would use moly. But don't use it on anything not a metal...

And if the moly you got just too thick, you can mix it with a little bit oil to make it your own blend for easier apply into the tight connection of the parts...

Airguns just another normal mechanic device, nothing special ~ ;)

~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:46 am 

lauchlin wrote:
Piston seal on spring gun silicone oil especially on leather seals older spring guns less is better than more

Oh, yes! Forgot to mention that~ because petroleum based oil in the springer power plant (piston seal, valve seal, breech seal) will be ignited and burned in the high pressure when the gun fires, just like in the diesel engine. And it's called dieseling...

And bad dieseling will cost damage to your gun...

So use silicone product on it too.

And, again, less is better~ :thumb:

~Target~

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:47 am 

I use Frog lube. Safe on metal and plastic surfaces. Won't build up and turn to clogging grease. Smells good too.

https://www.amazon.ca/Frog-Lube-Paste-J ... 938&sr=8-1