Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: pistol crossbow. legal ?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:59 pm 

hey guys. does anyone know if these are legal in canada all of a sudden. i have found two different canadian dealers that have them advertised for sale. i have the one called the seeker -- but it has a little stock on it. it,s pretty good fun to shoot. this one is called the bearx archery desire rd pistol crossbow. thanks.

Attachments:
BEARXDESIRERD_600x_crop_center.jpg
BEARXDESIRERD_600x_crop_center.jpg [ 19.21 KiB | Viewed 2620 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:25 pm 
Supporting Members

Check with local by-laws as they are different from town to town. It would be helpful to reach out to the nearest DND attachment before inquiring with police.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:31 pm 

way more than a bylaw..

it's federal..

Crossbows that you can aim and fire with one hand, and those with an overall length of 500 mm (about 19.68 inches) or less, are prohibited. You cannot lawfully have a prohibited crossbow.

Under the Firearms Act, you do not need a licence or registration certificate to have other types of bows. This includes crossbows that are longer than 500 mm that need two hands to use.

https://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/en/firearms/specific-types-firearms#cross

Tracey Wilson, CCFR

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:14 am 
Site Moderator

PART 3 - Prohibited Weapons - Former Prohibited Weapons Order, No. 3 - paragraph 7

https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/reg ... ltext.html

7 A crossbow or similar device that

(a) is designed or altered to be aimed and fired by the action of one hand, whether or not it has been redesigned or subsequently altered to be aimed and fired by the action of both hands; or

(b) has a length not exceeding 500 mm.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:34 am 

I remember you could buy the little crossbow every were 10 years or more ago they were mostly junk the pawn shops were full of them then they were banned .......................

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:56 am 

thanks guys. ya i was pretty sure i already knew the answer. there are two different bear x. the pistol is the desire rd. and the legal one with the stock is the xl. a few places i looked at shows a picture of the pistol one but has a description of the one with the stock. i emailed a couple of places to see what they say.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:11 am 

Leon Yrag wrote:
way more than a bylaw..

it's federal..

Crossbows that you can aim and fire with one hand, and those with an overall length of 500 mm (about 19.68 inches) or less, are prohibited. You cannot lawfully have a prohibited crossbow.

Under the Firearms Act, you do not need a licence or registration certificate to have other types of bows. This includes crossbows that are longer than 500 mm that need two hands to use.

https://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/en/firearms/specific-types-firearms#cross

this pistol crossbow caught my eye and attention after i saw the name of this place in your where to buy in canada post. (easthill outdoors). so i searched a bit and found it in a few other canadian stores.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:59 am 
Site Moderator

lauchlin wrote:
I remember you could buy the little crossbow every were 10 years or more ago they were mostly junk the pawn shops were full of them then they were banned .......................

Yup, I remember once seeing the pistol crossbows in a local sporting goods store. I always thought it would something interesting to try. I'm not sure why they went prohib on them.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:03 am 

this is my seeker crossbow. pretty much a pistol crossbow but with a stock. i made this target stop for it because i bought one of those square foam archery targets for it and the bolts buried themselves to deep into it. it,s a hoot to shoot in the garage in winter when i don,t use the co2 guns. it is a little bit longer than the pistol one.

Attachments:
IMG_0367.jpg
IMG_0367.jpg [ 364.84 KiB | Viewed 2546 times ]
IMG_0360.jpg
IMG_0360.jpg [ 376.22 KiB | Viewed 2546 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 4:47 am 

these are awesome little crossbows.... you can even get a multishot magazine for these.... really fun toys... :D

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:19 pm 

20 odd years ago I lived in Jonesboro GA, used to frequent this ginormous flea market. They sold 50 and 80 lb pistol crossbows. Like around $12. Also the old Chinese Springer rifles.
But, those little pistols were sure fun. Pretty powerful too. I can see why they're prohib anyway. Cause a lot more damage than a BB bun.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:26 am 

Barnett made a nice steel pistol crossbow. Another stupid law put in place because a kid shot his Dad with one. They did not shoot very far accurately. One incident and make new law for whole country. They were fun for shooting darts on darts board. One could kill someone with anything if you hit the right spot. Government has not figured that one out yet. LOL

Do your job and vote PC or more weapon restrictions coming down on us. We are not the criminals! Just imagine the new laws if Liberals get a majority.