Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 5:30 pm 
Supporting Members

In the center of the city, there is a beautiful park where people like to congregate. The other day the police were called for a person with a gun in the location. Upon arriver, the police saw a man waving what they thought to be a real gun. They asked him multiple times to drop the gun and he ignored them. He finally put it down and was arrested. The gun was a replica BB.

So this is not why I am posting this. I am posting this because of what was posted on social media(FB) afterwards

"Saint John police say a 21-year-old man is facing charges after a weapons call in King’s Square on Wednesday night.
Police said they found a man waving what appeared to be a handgun when they responded to the park just after 8:30 p.m.
“Officers ordered the man to drop the weapon numerous times when finally, he complied,” police said in a news release.
After officers arrested the man, police said they determined that the weapon was actually a pellet gun which “strongly resembled” the sidearm that officers carry."

Ok, so that seems to be pretty easy to understand.......right???

Well the responses were out right insane. People were actually defending him.......quoting......."He is legally allowed to own a BB gun".........well that may be a true statement, you connot carry it in public and wave it around

Another fun comment....."Its just a toy"........hey, you may have a point. How about you become a police officer and report to an incident and take your chances that "its just a toy"

Other comments were people that didnt even read the article and are picturing a Red Ryder, making comments like......"the police need to be better trained to tell a toy from a real gun"

This kind of stupidity is what is killing our hobby.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:00 pm 

Yeah. All of us here understand the police were justified and support them. Why are others so ignorant. Maybe the word needs to get out that you do not do what was done.
If there had been a statement to sign when purchased about responsible air gun ownership, it might have helped.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:12 pm 

Wow !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:28 pm 
Site Moderator

Many years ago we had a similar situation in our little city. A guy had a gal in his truck and wouldn't let her out. He was at a gas station arguing with her when someone called the police. They showed up and he wouldn't get out of the truck. He looked at the police presence and grabbed an air pistol from the seat (likely a Cr357). He raised the pistol and pointed it at one of the officers who was standing in front negotiating. The officer shouted for him to stop but he wanted a bullet. He pointed the pistol directly at the officer. The officer shot him twice in the chest and then pulled him out of the truck and stayed with the guy applying pressure to the wounds until the ambulance came. He died. I knew both the criminal and the police officer from working in a jail for so many years.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:19 am 

My browser "tracking" cookies flashed up this article just now. There is general misconception and some confusion about guns, toys, replicas, and firearms that fuels this mess. Unfortunately for both sides (perpetrator and security) what looks like a firearm can and should be treated as one. If the idiots would grab a golf club, or a squash racket the outcome would be more favorable. https://everythinggp.com/2021/08/14/air ... ie-rcmp-2/

))))----//----------==

Iacio ergo sum

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:59 am 

When I was young I carried a pellet gun around the City of Kitchener. Kids my age on swings and slides at the park and me in a 4 X 4 bush waiting on a bird. Police would see me walking around with it over my shoulder they would just tell me to be careful with it. How times have changed and not for the better.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:35 am 

wheeliehd wrote:
When I was young I carried a pellet gun around the City of Kitchener. Kids my age on swings and slides at the park and me in a 4 X 4 bush waiting on a bird. Police would see me walking around with it over my shoulder they would just tell me to be careful with it. How times have changed and not for the better.

x2