Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:34 pm 
Site Moderator

There are a lot of scopes now made with the illuminated reticles. It seems to have become quite popular over the years but I have never owned one. Do you guys buy scopes with IR? Do you actually use the illuminated reticle?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:57 pm 

I haven't but with my recent experiences trying to learn FT with the center being black I wish I had an appropriate scope with an luminated reticle. This is at only 10ish m. At 50 yards I wouldn't stand a chance of finding center.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:02 pm 

I personally think they are a gimmick that doesn't really help anything.

You're shooting in low light, then you illuminate the crosshair giving you a light to look at, basically blinding you. So, in that regard I have never bothered with that feature. Also I find that scopes that light up have pretty thick reticles. Not really what you want in a scope, I would think.

Personally if you can't see your reticle, it's probably illegal to be shooting in the first place. Maybe look at a scope with good light transmitting features. Good glass. Larger objective. Larger tube.
Usually you get what you pay for. Although I have an old beat up weaver 4x40 that is likely a budget scope from the early 90s. It has a beautiful sight picture and is very bright.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:37 pm 

I like my lit reticle Sightron, but only the very tiny dot in the middle is lit and you can turn it very low if you choose. I find that putting that little dot in the exact place I want it is easier with it lit very subtly. Your eye is drawn to it and especially on Black hit zones it is very helpful. I may notice it on three or four targets in an entire match, but matches are won and lost by one or two points most of the time.

On my Hawke 4-16, the entire reticle is illuminated, but that is ok since I use the mil marks on the scope to aim for different distances in hunter field target. I would do the same if using it when actually hunting.

Probably a personal thing, so if you can look through someone else's scope, it may help you decide.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:52 pm 

I have the IR on my Hawke scope. It's great for shooting in shadows. You just set the illumination intensity enough to hilight the reticle and you're good to go.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:17 pm 

When ever I think that the illuminated reticle would now be good to use, the battery is almost always dead.

2240/2260 20"
WF600
Vantage .22
Vantage .22 (.177 if the barrel shows up)
Walther Falcon Hunter .22
Walther Talon Magnum .25

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:19 pm 

I have mostly illuminated reticle scopes, some of them don't illuminate all the colours, and some didn't illuminate at all but I was able to fix them by cleaning/tightening the circuit boards. But, as pointed out - useful under very limited circumstances. I don't know why they are so popular - adds weight and is another thing that can go bad. So if you are in the market for a scope don't pass on a good scope because it doesn't have illumination.

Duke ))))----//----------==

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:35 pm 

I am also new to HFT and I am frequently finding that I need to move my sight picture off the target to a higher contrast background in order to count the right number of hash marks for holdover before sliding them back over the target.
I sometimes cannot actually see the reticle on the face of the target so I note perhaps that I need to have the third dot on the target and that means that the crosshair is at the top edge where I can see it against a different background so I align to that instead.
Definitely thinking about IR on my next scope, but as others commented, I would say a bright glass and a crisp, thin reticle are higher priorities for me.
(Keep in mind that I am new to HFT and not terribly good at it so take my advice for what it is worth).
Rob27

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:44 pm 

I don't really use IR on my UTG scope, I tried it and didn't find it helpful. Maybe it helps if you shoot at the black targets in low light environment, but then you can't see target clearly anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:22 pm 

I have several relatively inexpensive scope with an Illuminated Reticle.... Without exception, they all suffer from glare when the reticle is lit, which reduces the image contrast and actually makes it more difficult to make out the target in poor light conditions.... I don't even bother putting the battery in any more, they are that poor....

Bob

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:57 am 

Thanks for that perspective Bob.
Sounds like the best approach is to try to find someone who has one and try to get a look through it - ideally in a real setting, not inside a store or in your friend's basement.
Another great reason to get out to a range or FT match and connect with like minded shooters.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:31 pm 

One of the reasons I do not use the illuminated reticle on the UTG scopes I have is exactly the reason Bob mentions. Too much glare.

The Sightron does not suffer from that at all. I set it to a very dim glow and it only shows when needed. The Hawke AirMax is the same, I adjust it low and it is only visible in circumstances like Rob mentioned. Trying to hold on a dot or line that you cannot see is not ideal. Some targets in FT matches are tough enough if everything is working perfectly, so a handicap is the last thing you want.

However, the quality of the scope makes a huge difference here.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:14 am 

I have the BugBuster 3-9x compact and I rarely use the illumination.... My son always turns it on when he uses it...

I haven't found a situation where it makes me more accurate.

Post subject: Re: Scopes with reticles
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 3:57 pm 

Illumination is sometimes the only way to tell whether it's the reticle or a branch .

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:00 pm 

TCooper wrote:
There are a lot of scopes now made with the illuminated reticles. It seems to have become quite popular over the years but I have never owned one. Do you guys buy scopes with IR? Do you actually use the illuminated reticle?
Thanks for this thread. I'm going to buy another scope soon and was thinking of an illuminated reticle. I'm thinking no. I don't think I'll be needing illumination in the near future, anyway. Maybe on another scope purchase.

Cometa Fusion .177 495 fps, Hawke Airmax 3-9x40
Crosman Optimus .177 495 fps, Ohhunt 3-9x32 AO IR
Crosman Phantom .22 495 fps, Hawke Vantage 3-9x40 AO
SPA WF600 .22 495 fps