Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:17 pm 

Just wonder if anybody shoot standard 10 m pistol target?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:29 am 

Absolutely but with the restrictions there hasn't been any formal practices at the club for a few years now.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:44 am 

September 18, 2021 tried classic PP3 (60 shots) standing, one arm, open sights. Extremely bad air-pistol MP 53M. Got only 387/600 . Frankly speaking I don't think I can do better with Styer LP10 )) No sense spending money. But probably with one year of training I can get into Marksman Category (starts with 450/600) . But surely not with MP 53M...
Just ordered walnut grips from Tamerlan (master from european part of Russia) for my new MP657. I think good pistol deserves good-looking grips

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:00 am 

Sergei1950 wrote:
September 18, 2021 tried classic PP3 (60 shots) standing, one arm, open sights. Extremely bad air-pistol MP 53M. Got only 387/600 . Frankly speaking I don't think I can do better with Styer LP10 )) No sense spending money. But probably with one year of training I can get into Marksman Category (starts with 450/600) . But surely not with MP 53M...
Just ordered walnut grips from Tamerlan (master from european part of Russia) for my new MP657. I think good pistol deserves good-looking grips

I think you would but nothing can make up for practice. There are a ton of drills we do without pulling the trigger. One drill is to just point your pistol at a blank wall and hold it there for a few minutes. Just get used to holding the pistol. Another is to do the same for the opposite arm. It does make a difference. Not to be over looked is dry fire practice. Shooting pellets is fun but for target shooting it's more important to understand what you are doing throught the shot cycle. In respect to actual shooting, don't force a shot. When you address the target if you can't get clarity and position in 8 seconds lower the pistol and reset. Breath and proceed when you feel relaxed. As repeated to me from a Canadian national champion many times, front site front site front site and follow through.

I think you could get into the 500's in months or less.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:19 am 

jckstrthmghty wrote:
Sergei1950 wrote:

I think you would but nothing can make up for practice. There are a ton of drills we do without pulling the trigger. One drill is to just point your pistol at a blank wall and hold it there for a few minutes. Just get used to holding the pistol. Another is to do the same for the opposite arm. It does make a difference. Not to be over looked is dry fire practice. Shooting pellets is fun but for target shooting it's more important to understand what you are doing throught the shot cycle. In respect to actual shooting, don't force a shot. When you address the target if you can't get clarity and position in 8 seconds lower the pistol and reset. Breath and proceed when you feel relaxed. As repeated to me from a Canadian national champion many times, front site front site front site and follow through.

I think you could get into the 500's in months or less.

Thanks a lot for advices. But don't forget I am 71 y/o beginner. Holding the pistol for long time is NOT for me , due to severe cervical ostheoarthritis (age). I tried holding already and got serious problems that required medical intervention )) . I know it is very important and I need to think how to compensate for it. Probably good triger control and aiming can help. What about short time holding, but with additional weights ( 500 - 1000 gramm) ? I decided to practice more bench-shooting, but in my way, supporting shooting arm under the shoulder. Not just puting the pistol on the bench-rest. And YES, I want to work very seriously on FOLLOW THROUGH.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:55 am 

Sergei1950 wrote:
Thanks a lot for advices. But don't forget I am 71 y/o beginner. Holding the pistol for long time is NOT for me , due to severe cervical ostheoarthritis (age). I tried holding already and got serious problems that required medical intervention )) . I know it is very important and I need to think how to compensate for it. Probably good triger control and aiming can help. What about short time holding, but with additional weights ( 500 - 1000 gramm) ? I decided to practice more bench-shooting, but in my way, supporting shooting arm under the shoulder. Not just puting the pistol on the bench-rest. And YES, I want to work very seriously on FOLLOW THROUGH.

Under your circumstances skip the "holding" excercises entirely. Focus on consistency with shot cycle and follow through. Still dry firing practice if your pistol has that feature. I'd say at least if not more valuable than actually shooting a pellet.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:56 pm 

I've only shot a handgun with one hand, once and scored a lousy 65/100.
That was with a friend's FWB Model 2, similar to the one I foolishly sold some years ago.
This is a set of 4 targets, 3 with 2 hands, one rested. Red-Dot sight. 21.3gr. H&H Match RN.
Appears to be shooting a bit high and left.
Best target is bottom left. these were shot, top left, top right, bottom left
then the bottom right was shot using a rest to confirm the sights not quite right
a bit high and to the left.
I will add that the pistol I used, the PP700 S-A is a poor pistol for target shooting due to it's
design, weight distribution & holding characteristics. If only took a few targets to get a decent
score.

Attachments:
10 meters 2 hands and rested.JPG
10 meters 2 hands and rested.JPG [ 470.11 KiB | Viewed 1091 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:06 pm 

FWB model 2 is very good air-pistol )). Try Crosman 1377 or IZH 53 to feel what is really bad )). I was exercising for about one month with IZH 53 before I joined the forum. Sometimes got near 70/100 one arm standing and that is considered to be "not bad" for this pistol. Crosman 1377 is better. Actually Crosman 1377 is pretty stable , just sights are not adjustable and trigger is too heavy for olympic shooting. I will use Crossman for benchrest practice only

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:50 pm 

You need a "stand" in front of you to rest the pistol on, for loading as well as between shots.
The suggestion of a camera tripod was a good one. A small square of wood can be screwed to
it, covered with leather or cloth, for resting the gun and hand on between shots. Resting the arm
is very important. Holding at your side, is not as good.
Like Mac said, get your shot off inside 8 seconds or put the gun down to re-rest.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:33 am 

Tried Crosman 1377 today. Standing, one arm, 20 shots only . Got 128/200. 30 to 36 in each five shots serias. Need to do someting with nasty trigger

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:35 am 

Daryl wrote:
You need a "stand" in front of you to rest the pistol on, for loading as well as between shots.
The suggestion of a camera tripod was a good one. A small square of wood can be screwed to
it, covered with leather or cloth, for resting the gun and hand on between shots. Resting the arm
is very important. Holding at your side, is not as good.
Like Mac said, get your shot off inside 8 seconds or put the gun down to re-rest.

Thanks for the advice. I normally do bench-rest SITTING and using part of the chair as support

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:29 pm 

For shooting at a bench/table - a rabbit-eared bag is good for resting the handgun's forend on, then your hands, back of the little fingers
rests on the table/bench top. A sand bag that can be shaped into a V will also work similarly. The V or rabbit ear bag holds the gun quite
steady from side to side movement & makes for a very steady rest. Click on the picture to see the PP700 sitting on the bag as described.

Attachments:
PP700 20 yards.jpg
PP700 20 yards.jpg [ 327.27 KiB | Viewed 1016 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:07 pm 

Daryl wrote:
For shooting at a bench/table - a rabbit-eared bag is good for resting the handgun's forend on, then your hands, back of the little fingers
rests on the table/bench top. A sand bag that can be shaped into a V will also work similarly. The V or rabbit ear bag holds the gun quite
steady from side to side movement & makes for a very steady rest. Click on the picture to see the PP700 sitting on the bag as described.

Thanks for all the pistol shooting tips! Is this your club Daryl or a club? How far away is that right there?

S&W M29 8 3/8" Pellet
Dan Wesson 715 Nickel 6" Pellet
Sig Sauer M17 Pellet
KWC 1911 Tac .BB
Leapers UTG BB 3x12x32

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 12:19 pm 

Indoor range at the club I've belonged to since winter of 1979.
I am currently a Director, of the General Handgun section. In the
past, I've been a Director of the Black Powder section as well.
The range I am shooting in the above picture, is 20yards.
The 10 meter
targets look pretty small at that range.
The black things are hangers for 10 meter targets. The Pellet goes
through the target, hits the angled plate and falls into a little trough
at the bottom. When shooting my .22 cal. air handguns or air rifles,
the pellet getting blasted into the little trough usually empties the
trough onto the floor. Of course, we sweep the floor after every session.
When shooting 10 meters, we use the string target returns so a spotting
scope isn't necessary.
We used to shoot rimfire and centre fire handguns indoors, but with changes
to the rulings, our exhaust fans were deemed inadequate. We do run them when
shooting air guns, but it isn't necessary.
Air guns, rifles and handguns are the only thing we can shoot indoors now. The RF
and CF baffles are still behind the donnaconna wall boards at the end of the range.
My PCP air guns really make them ring.

Attachments:
PP700SA .22 resized.jpg
PP700SA .22 resized.jpg [ 154.32 KiB | Viewed 978 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:41 am 

Just purchased brand new MP46M (new version of IZH46). The reason to buy- fall in love with it's wooden grips )) Plus negotiated 10% discount. I want to use it for official matches.
I don't need Walther or Morini