Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:27 am 

Regarding rsterne's post from 2015, "When is a 22xx not PAL rated?"; topic67184.html

I am in the process of building a 22xx based around the 2260 main tube, with the intention of keeping it below 500FPS (for now) and eventually power modding it past 500 and getting it registered as non-restricted. I'm trying to figure out if an 18" barrel is the shortest I can legally go with, or if the reason why rsterne's 2260 with a 14.5" barrel was allowed to be registered is because the 22xx is bolt-action, not semi-automatic?

I ended up here; https://nfa.ca/2005/02/25/barrel-and-firearms-lengths/

I've been reading up on the word of law regarding 26"+ LOA and 18"+ barrels, and the definitive wording seems to regard semi-automatic rifles - NOT bolt action - or does the government consider a bolt-action to be semi-automatic...?

*Disclaimer: I am not advising people to go and do the things I'm discussing, simply looking for input from others who may have a better understanding of the reading/legal material than myself.*

"A mind all logic is like a knife all blade, it makes the hand bleed that uses it."

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:13 am 

I remember based on what I read and the time I was working on my 2240 years ago, if you used the 2260 tube, actually the gun is no more a 2240 type pistol and will be treated as a rifle.

However if the shorter barrel makes the total length too short, you will face another issue of like chopping a rifle barrel to make it shorter (for conceal)... Which looks worser than modding a 2240 to a RPAL rated pistol....

HW 30s / 35e
HW 40+Extender / Scoped P3 / 45 / 70 / 75
Russian Izzy 46M
2240 14" barrel carbine

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:38 am 
Site Moderator

It sounds like you are starting with a 2260 base and adding parts. The 2260 is the breach and tube. If you add a pistol grip then it's still a 2260. A 2260 is an air rifle. There is no longer a long-gun registry but be sure to have your PAL.

Post subject: Re: re:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 12:17 pm 

YepYep wrote:
I remember based on what I read and the time I was working on my 2240 years ago, if you used the 2260 tube, actually the gun is no more a 2240 type pistol and will be treated as a rifle.

However if the shorter barrel makes the total length too short, you will face another issue of like chopping a rifle barrel to make it shorter (for conceal)... Which looks worser than modding a 2240 to a RPAL rated pistol....

This is what I'm trying to figure out - I understand there is no longer a registry for this, but back when Bob got his 2260 registered, he mentioned having a 14.5" barrel on it and they accepted it. What I'm trying to sort out is whether or not this is allowed on the 2260, being that it is bolt-action, not semi-automatic. I've sent a message to the CFO for Ontario to see what they have to say - I will update back here when they get back to me.

"A mind all logic is like a knife all blade, it makes the hand bleed that uses it."

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 12:20 pm 

TCooper wrote:
It sounds like you are starting with a 2260 base and adding parts. The 2260 is the breach and tube. If you add a pistol grip then it's still a 2260. A 2260 is an air rifle. There is no longer a long-gun registry but be sure to have your PAL.

I ordered a custom trigger frame from bluefork that allows me to mount any typical AR style pistol grip on my 2260, which has been detuned below 500fps.

It will have a stock, and adhere to the general 26"+ total length rule, I'm just seeking clarification regarding some people getting their 2260's registered in the past, despite having a 14.5" barrel - and not the standard 18.5"+. My assumption is that bolt-action rifles are not the same as semi-automatic rifles, but am awaiting to hear back from Ontario's CFO for full clarity sake.

I can keep it below 500fps and have whatever barrel I want, but I'm ideally looking at moving this to a PAL rifle at some point in the future, and want to make sure that I can't have a barrel shorter than 18.5" - because I would prefer the 14.5" crosman barrel from my 2289.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 1:35 pm 

I'm new to air gun mods but I've been it to ar15 and other center fire firearms for many years. As long as it is not semi auto and is over 26" it is non-restricted (18" rule is for semi guns, pump, bolt, and single shot can have down to pistol lengths ad long as they measure at least 26 overall). If you have a firearms poseson and aquistion license it can also be over 500fps. There is currently no registration of non restricted firearms in Canada, though this could change if our "dear leader" is reelected.

2240/2260 20"
WF600
Vantage .22
Vantage .22 (.177 if the barrel shows up)
Walther Falcon Hunter .22
Walther Talon Magnum .25

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 1:45 pm 

Headdamage wrote:
I'm new to air gun mods but I've been it to ar15 and other center fire firearms for many years. As long as it is not semi auto and is over 26" it is non-restricted (18" rule is for semi guns, pump, bolt, and single shot can have down to pistol lengths ad long as they measure at least 26 overall). If you have a firearms poseson and aquistion license it can also be over 500fps. There is currently no registration of non restricted firearms in Canada, though this could change if our "dear leader" is reelected.

That's more or less what I was thinking based on the laws I had read, hopefully the CFO will agree... lol. Seemed to me that not enough people realize the 22xx is a bolt action, not semi-auto. However, as much as I love a good legal battle, I'm not about to get in one over semantics for a simple air rifle.

Thanks for the vote of confidence.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:35 pm 
Site Moderator

I had a quick read through the NFA article and also section 84 of the CCC. What a mess. It looks like you can avoid the Restricted class as long as your rifle is over 660mm. The minimum barrel length limit for restricted is just for semi-auto centerfire. The Prohibited firearm definition seems to apply to all firearms, even airguns because they are not exempt from sec 84. It's best to stay above 18" (457mm) and over 660mm in length to avoid this classification.

It gets messy when considering substituting a 14.5" barrel. The 14.5" is available from Crosman but not originally designed for the 2260. But, you would be buying a 2260 tube without a barrel fitted. Are you allowed to fit your own barrel and choose the length as long as the total is over 660mm? It sounds like something that the courts might have fun with.

The safe route would be to stay with 18" or longer for a barrel and over 660mm overall. If you like court and don't mind the expenses then you could do the 14.5" barrel and try to prove a point if you ever got charged. If you got a 10-yr weapons prohibition you could always sell your airguns here...lol.

Possibly rsterne did the work to get some sort of documentation from the RCMP stating that his 14.5" barreled 2260 is not prohibited. Possibly he carefully worded his conversation to comply with the laws. Messy laws.

The NFA article has some good examples of firearms that are acceptable but have very short barrels or under 660mm overall. Messy.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:11 pm 

I did my 2260 with the 14.5" barrel when long guns had to be registered, and I successfully did that.... It could be a minefield to do the same thing today.... To be safe, I would stay with an 18" barrel, unless you can get it clarified that you are OK to go shorter.... If you are successful in doing so, PLEASE let us know....

Bob