Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours


The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

 

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.






Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:28 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:01 pm
Posts: 3620
Location: GTA, ON
I tried the GAMO wadcutter and still have a tin or two in my ammo box. Before trying the Daisy, the Gamo looks okay, however my guns like the Daisy much better than the Gamo and the Gamo looks a bit over size (tight when loading) and not as accurate as the Daisy...

I have no experience on the box either, and I have a stock of some the other Daisy on the bottom picture...

_________________
CZ200s Color Laminated tuned to 10fpe
AA ProSport 177 Walnut in 12fpe
FWB300S Universal
HW 30s / 35e
HW 40+Extender / Scoped P3 / 45 / 70 / 75
Russian Izzy 46M
2240 14" barrel carbine


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:53 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon May 26, 2014 1:08 am
Posts: 686
Location: Thunder Bay
I bought two tins of the Daisy (made in Spain) wadcutters in .177 from Tool Town.
I tried them in a few of my most-often-shot springers. The results were less than stellar.
My detuned (850 fps) Fury shoots pretty much anything well. Not these. 3" groups at 18 meters.
My Remington Express (900) and my detuned Ruger Blackhawk (750) were dismal too. Maybe they don't like going fast...
Tried them in my detuned B3-3 at 525 fps. Better, at 1.0"
My B3-1 shoots them at 650 fps into a little over .5" at 18 meters. Good enough for me.
I find they feel undersize when seating compared to H&N Sport.
I recently ordered a sleeve (10 tins) of H&N Sport. The Daisies won't dethrone my favourite plinking pellet. All the above guns shoot H&N Sport at around .5" at 18 meters.
Your results may (most likely!) vary.

_________________
13 springers and a few pumpers and pistols.
2 lathes and lots of scrap metal.

Too soon old too late smart.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:39 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:27 am
Posts: 1277
Location: Thunder Bay,On.
ricksplace wrote:
I bought two tins of the Daisy (made in Spain) wadcutters in .177 from Tool Town.
I tried them in a few of my most-often-shot springers. The results were less than stellar.
My detuned (850 fps) Fury shoots pretty much anything well. Not these. 3" groups at 18 meters.
My Remington Express (900) and my detuned Ruger Blackhawk (750) were dismal too. Maybe they don't like going fast...
Tried them in my detuned B3-3 at 525 fps. Better, at 1.0"
My B3-1 shoots them at 650 fps into a little over .5" at 18 meters. Good enough for me.
I find they feel undersize when seating compared to H&N Sport.
I recently ordered a sleeve (10 tins) of H&N Sport. The Daisies won't dethrone my favourite plinking pellet. All the above guns shoot H&N Sport at around .5" at 18 meters.
Your results may (most likely!) vary.


Agreed...Daisies won't dethrone H&N's....I was talking about Daisies being the best CHEAP pellets for can killing at a cost of less than 2 cents a shot ($8.00/500)...Grizzlies and Crosman Wads can also be had for $8 or $9 a tin of 500.....H&N's are $12.00/500......I guess "cheap" is a relative term....also...I only shoot wads up to around 600 fps...as you noted yourself when the the fps climbs...the groups open up...but then who mentioned groups?...I'm talking cans.... :wink:

_________________
The cave you fear to enter....holds the treasure you seek


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:51 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:27 am
Posts: 1277
Location: Thunder Bay,On.
YepYep wrote:
In my experience, Grizzly is not as good as the Daisy. For the weight (both in the heavy side of 7g), not very usable on pistols, and for the rifles, My Pro Sport doesn't like either tho, but my other 177 rifles shoot Daisy well and the Grizzly is really only a plinking pellet, nothing more, but very good price when in promotion (like now)...


Agreed...Daisy are superior to Grizzlies even though the cost is the same....HOWEVER....to be fair to Grizzlies...these pellets MUST be individually weighed as there is a difference of up to and sometimes over a full grain in the same tin..especially in .22 cal....this difference would definitely affect accuracy and standard deviation over the chrony....so I always weigh and seperate the Grizzlies....always... :D

_________________
The cave you fear to enter....holds the treasure you seek


Last edited by MyCrosman on Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:58 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:27 am
Posts: 1277
Location: Thunder Bay,On.
YepYep wrote:
Yes~ agreed. The Daisy is the most accurate cheap pellet in my side too.

I weighted some of my 'old' Daisy which I bought quite a few from Amazon last time. They are about 7.5g, 7.6g something, not as rated as 7.8g (doesn't printed on the label tho), but still heavier than my other 7.3g, 7.0g JSB and RWS... So I only have the FWB300 taking them in the house...

I have a pellet sizer incoming, which I think can help my Daisy pellets a lot to further improve the consistent and accuracy ~



Cheaper brand pellets must be weighed if you're looking for a true reading of standard deviation..extreme spread etc. Most people won't bother to weigh but for me weighing pellets is part of the airgun experience...part of the fun. :D

_________________
The cave you fear to enter....holds the treasure you seek


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:47 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon May 26, 2014 1:08 am
Posts: 686
Location: Thunder Bay
Nikkonos sells .177 H&N Sport for $8/tin of 500.
His shipping is $8.50 for the first tin, then $0.50 per tin. Shipping cost on 10 tins is $13, bringing the cost to $9.30/tin before taxes.
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/177-22-H-amp-N- ... ect=mobile

_________________
13 springers and a few pumpers and pistols.
2 lathes and lots of scrap metal.

Too soon old too late smart.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:29 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:01 pm
Posts: 3620
Location: GTA, ON
MyCrosman wrote:
YepYep wrote:
In my experience, Grizzly is not as good as the Daisy. For the weight (both in the heavy side of 7g), not very usable on pistols, and for the rifles, My Pro Sport doesn't like either tho, but my other 177 rifles shoot Daisy well and the Grizzly is really only a plinking pellet, nothing more, but very good price when in promotion (like now)...


Agreed...Daisy are superior to Grizzlies even though the cost is the same....HOWEVER....to be fair to Grizzlies...these pellets MUST be individually weighed as there is a difference of up to and sometimes over a full grain in the same tin..especially in .22 cal....this difference would definitely affect accuracy and standard deviation over the chrony....so I always weigh and seperate the Grizzlies....always... :D
I had done my 22cal Grizzly pellets but as my detuned 35E shoots everything well, and the distance I shoot is very close, I didn't find anything bad on it...

Then most of my new guns are 177, and the 177 Grizzly pellets looks no as good as the Daisy, I weighted and washed a tin for extreme testing, and it's still not as good as the Daisy fresh from the tin. I don't have the sizer yet, and can try again later when the sizer delivered...

_________________
CZ200s Color Laminated tuned to 10fpe
AA ProSport 177 Walnut in 12fpe
FWB300S Universal
HW 30s / 35e
HW 40+Extender / Scoped P3 / 45 / 70 / 75
Russian Izzy 46M
2240 14" barrel carbine


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:27 am
Posts: 1277
Location: Thunder Bay,On.
YepYep wrote:
MyCrosman wrote:
YepYep wrote:
In my experience, Grizzly is not as good as the Daisy. For the weight (both in the heavy side of 7g), not very usable on pistols, and for the rifles, My Pro Sport doesn't like either tho, but my other 177 rifles shoot Daisy well and the Grizzly is really only a plinking pellet, nothing more, but very good price when in promotion (like now)...


Agreed...Daisy are superior to Grizzlies even though the cost is the same....HOWEVER....to be fair to Grizzlies...these pellets MUST be individually weighed as there is a difference of up to and sometimes over a full grain in the same tin..especially in .22 cal....this difference would definitely affect accuracy and standard deviation over the chrony....so I always weigh and seperate the Grizzlies....always... :D
I had done my 22cal Grizzly pellets but as my detuned 35E shoots everything well, and the distance I shoot is very close, I didn't find anything bad on it...

Then most of my new guns are 177, and the 177 Grizzly pellets looks no as good as the Daisy, I weighted and washed a tin for extreme testing, and it's still not as good as the Daisy fresh from the tin. I don't have the sizer yet, and can try again later when the sizer delivered...


Agreed...to really get an accurate record of your guns performance you really should weigh and size the pellets..thereby eliminating at least TWO of the variables regarding accuracy and especially chrony results...there's also muzzle blast...distance from chrony...lighting etc. that contribute to readings...Daisies are still the best choice...so far.... for under 2 cents a piece....but as far as quality pellets go....not so much :wink:

_________________
The cave you fear to enter....holds the treasure you seek


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:27 am
Posts: 1277
Location: Thunder Bay,On.
ricksplace wrote:
Nikkonos sells .177 H&N Sport for $8/tin of 500.
His shipping is $8.50 for the first tin, then $0.50 per tin. Shipping cost on 10 tins is $13, bringing the cost to $9.30/tin before taxes.
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/177-22-H-amp-N- ... ect=mobile


Well...thats the LAST time I buy H&Ns from the Armoury....I stand corrected..H&Ns are indeed the best bang for the buck....thanks so much for the link...cheers :D

_________________
The cave you fear to enter....holds the treasure you seek


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:06 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon May 26, 2014 1:08 am
Posts: 686
Location: Thunder Bay
MyCrosman wrote:
ricksplace wrote:
Nikkonos sells .177 H&N Sport for $8/tin of 500.
His shipping is $8.50 for the first tin, then $0.50 per tin. Shipping cost on 10 tins is $13, bringing the cost to $9.30/tin before taxes.
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/177-22-H-amp-N- ... ect=mobile


Well...thats the LAST time I buy H&Ns from the Armoury....I stand corrected..H&Ns are indeed the best bang for the buck....thanks so much for the link...cheers :D


You're most welcome! Some of the more popular styles of H&N pellets sell out fast, but he replenishes stock regularly.

_________________
13 springers and a few pumpers and pistols.
2 lathes and lots of scrap metal.

Too soon old too late smart.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:38 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:04 pm
Posts: 201
Location: Lower Mainland, BC
MyCrosman wrote:
pellets must be weighed if you're looking for a true reading of standard deviation..extreme spread etc. Most people won't bother to weigh but for me weighing pellets is part of the airgun experience...part of the fun. :D
Yes, I weigh all my pellets. It's fun and it's how I like to shoot. The only pellet I've found that I don't need to weigh is .177 RWS Meisterkugeln, the light one, 7 gn.

_________________
Stephen

Cometa Fusion .177 495 fps, Hawke Airmax 3-9x40
Crosman Optimus .177 495 fps, Ohhunt 3-9x32 AO IR
Crosman Phantom .22 495 fps, Hawke Vantage 3-9x40 AO
SPA WF600 .22 495 fps


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:47 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:23 pm
Posts: 223
Location: Calgary
Used the .22 Grizzly pellets for chrony testing and rough sighting in today. Can't say how accurate or not they are but better than expensive pellets for what I was doing.

_________________
Slavia 630/77
Slavia 624
1322
1377
2240
2240/2260 20"
WF600
Vantage .22
Vantage .22 (.177 if the barrel shows up)
Walther Falcon Hunter .22
Walther Talon Magnum .25


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Buck hunter and 14 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
News News Site map Site map SitemapIndex SitemapIndex RSS Feed RSS Feed Channel list Channel list

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group

phpBB SEO