Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:57 pm 

Many moons ago in out a nice set of carving chisels and gouges from Canadian Tire. Brought them home, and they're all dull like butter knives. So I put them away.

Now, I have a number of pistols without grips... And a big ol slab of cocobolo.

I just don't know how a guy sharpens the round chisels. Looks tricky.
I know so we of you guys are into wood working and such...
Any tips appreciated!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:02 pm 

Don't hold it facing your self... sorry I feel that my Dad may have taught me how to do this once but I can't remember how right now. Funny thing was I was looking at a few of his old chisels a short time ago.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:18 am 

For the few times I need to sharpen them, I made something like this... sure, you need to fiddle a bit to get the correct angle... but it was cheap and easy to make.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 11:42 pm 

Inside or outside bevel. For inside bevel you need a round stone that will fit in the radius of the chisel. I have some tapered, round diamond "stones" for that purpose. For outside bevel use a flat stone and rotate the bevel as you move the chisel along the stone. I do all of mine by eye with good results. Small carving chisels are rather easy, larger chisels for large radius work or woodturning are more difficult. There are jigs available to help maintain a constant bevel, but the one's I have seen look cumbersome. Just take you time and go slow.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 2:56 pm 

https://www.finewoodworking.com/2008/06 ... sharpening

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:15 pm 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GN4yr7vp4I4
Round chisels (gouges) are used with very fine paper or emery on round objects as well as round stones for the inside edge. The outside
edge is done similarly to what the video shows but rotating your wrist, instead of back and forth.
Power tools make it easier when sharpening rounded objects, where the rounded surface needs to be sharpened.
This includes the stropping, wooden and (hard) leather covered. (tools made for use in a drill press, lathe, etc)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 7:16 pm 

There is a great store called Lee Valley. It is like a candy store for woodworking. Before the pandemic, they ran amazing classes in their stores. I paid for a couple and attended a couple of free ones. One of those paid ones and 2 of the free ones were for sharpening.
All the knives, chisels, and plane blades in our house are now very sharp and a joy to use. I do not have a lathe, so I have never needed to sharpen a round gouge.
I recommend their store and if you ever have a chance to attend one of their workshops I highly recommend them as well.
There are many good videos online - one big caution, though, is if you are using any machine to go slow and ensure that you do not overheat the blade.
I started by practicing on old chisels that I had abused for years plus a couple of beat up ones that I bought for a dollar or two at an estate sale. I was able to turn them into amazing tools with no downside risk.

Good luck!
Rob27

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 8:31 pm 

Rob27 wrote:
There is a great store called Lee Valley ....one big caution, though, is ....

Once you start going there your wallet will be permanently empty... drool.
I am encouraged to try and salvage my old chisels now. Mine have been abused something bad, used as paint can openers, screwdrivers, nail pullers, and worse. I just found 3 of the set of 4. I wonder if I could bring them back?

Attachments:
274166908_623938252241130_2443703384385624167_n.jpg
274166908_623938252241130_2443703384385624167_n.jpg [ 71.86 KiB | Viewed 692 times ]

))))----//----------==

Iacio ergo sum

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:08 pm 

Those look similar to the ones that I practiced on and now are some of my favorites.
Definitely worth a try.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:04 am 

You've got two jobs when sharpening a chisel.

The first time, you need to ensure the long flat face is actually flat. The easiest way to do that is on a diamond stone. It does not need to be perfectly flat, but certainly near the cutting edge it should be pretty close to perfectly flat.

Once the long flat face is actually flat, you can cut the other side -- the short flat face. For this the main issue is to grind as close to the current angle as possible, maybe a fraction of a degree more steep. I like to use a little jig to maintain a consistent angle.

If you have the time to watch a video, this is a solid demonstration:

https://youtu.be/eaf2bDcSEuw

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:26 am 

First you need wheels for sharpening chisels and some grinding compound. Got mine from Lee Valley in Kitchener. Take the the steel tables off the bench grinder and hold the chisels free hand and sharpen. If you leave the tables infront of wheel and chisel gets cought could run you into some serious troubles. They are very time consuming to do. Be very careful with every move you make. About every 10 times I take them in and get them professional done. My wife is a hand carver. CHEERS!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:45 am 

wheeliehd wrote:
First you need wheels for sharpening chisels and some grinding compound. Got mine from Lee Valley in Kitchener. Take the the steel tables off the bench grinder and hold the chisels free hand and sharpen. If you leave the tables infront of wheel and chisel gets cought could run you into some serious troubles. They are very time consuming to do. Be very careful with every move you make. About every 10 times I take them in and get them professional done. My wife is a hand carver. CHEERS!
I do not use a bench grinder for sharpening anything other than rough work on axes or shovels. I find it too rough and too easy to overheat the metal or to take off too much. I have a belt grinder built from a Lee Valley kit that works great and gives easy ability to switch grit.
https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop/to ... em=68Z7501

Most of my sharpening of chisels is done initially on the belt grinder if major re-profiling is required, but the edge work is all done on flat sheets of finer paper using a honing guide. I picked up an end of model clearance of one like the link below that accommodates most of my chisels and plane irons.

https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop/to ... em=60N0105

For quick sharpening of knives, I use a
Spyderco ceramic sharpener like this one:
https://cuttingedgecutleryco.com/produc ... fKEALw_wcB

Like my earlier suggestion, starting with a blade that you do not care deeply about is a good idea. Most people have an old blade somewhere in a toolbox or drawer that is a great learning tool.

Rob27

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 3:06 pm 

For sharpening chisels, I also do not use a bench grinder. It is used for various jobs, including sharpening my lawnmower blades & drill bits. I like the green stone the best, for a nicer finish.
The green is also necessary for sharpening carbide drills.
I use a belt-sander for putting the initial 'edge' on kitchen knives, once a year or so. The rest of the year, I use ceramic stones on them. Over that period of time, the edges get rounded
so then, it's back to the belt sander.