Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:30 pm 

Just as the title suggests; I'm wondering if I buy a D350 495dps version now to shoot as is, can I bring it back up to full power later easily? Full disclosure I'm waiting on my PAL due to the backlog. I'd really like to do some shooting before the weather turns for the year and do some basic firearms safety withy 19yo. However I was planning on buying the 350 in full power. So if I buy the 395fps now is it simply a vortek kit to get it back up or did Diana do some other modifications, i.e. short piston, vent holes, different internal compression diameter, etc? :?:

Also sidequestion (not sure if that's allowed) are there cheaper B28 barrels available in Canada if I wanted to swap calibers for different applications?

Fyi... I'm fully comfortable doing the work, and am likely equipped with what tools are needed.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:43 pm 

Yes, all you need is a full power spring. The 350 is a beast, would probably benefit from a tune kit in full power so you may be on to something. As for the barrel, ask Sniper on the Forum store or check with Wes on Airgun Archery Fun. Are you after the .177 cal 350 Sniper has on the Forum store? I considered buying it at one time, and would have it had been .22. I've got some nice Diana's anyhow a 34 and a 48- they are nice rifles.

))))----//----------==

Iacio ergo sum

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:07 pm 

I have looked at that rifle on snipers store a few times. Very nice gun.
As Duke said, you will definitely want to tune it.
The Chinese copies shoot like an old ford tailgate slamming shut. Sorry I can't compare to the real deal as I've never held one.
But loads of power. Even in .177, just get some of those heavy pellets. Jsb makes some in the 13-16 grain range.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:36 pm 

Thanks for confirming guys. I appreciate that.
Yes, I'm looking at the .177 in the forum store.

With a heavy pellet do you think it can be tamed enough to bench shoot for the kid @ 15-20yrds?

Open sights.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:07 pm 
Site Moderator

How old are the kids? The D350 is a huge rifle.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:37 pm 

19, only got him here until end of semester, not that we wouldn't mind him saving more money and sticking around. He's almost bigger than I am. And way more of it is worth its weight...lol

Edit: This would be at the 495fps rating, I won't order a kit until my pal arrives. And probably wouldn't install it until I got bored of the current set up.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:23 pm 

We have 10 year olds shooting rimfire at out club. Yours will be ok.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:10 pm 
Site Moderator

86TSiGuy wrote:
19, only got him here until end of semester, not that we wouldn't mind him saving more money and sticking around. He's almost bigger than I am. And way more of it is worth its weight...lol

Edit: This would be at the 495fps rating, I won't order a kit until my pal arrives. And probably wouldn't install it until I got bored of the current set up.

He should be fine with the D350. The rifle is 48" long and over 8 pounds so likely not a good choice for a young 100 pound boy.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:49 am 

I think the Chinese version of the high powered model, would be the Bam28C, wouldn't it? Quite large
and the tail-game slamming would about mirror the recoil. Injured a 3-9X BugBuster in 20 shots. After
that, I couldn't turn the power ring.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:07 pm 

So I recieved the rifle quickly enough, packed well. Still going over it for defects but looks good so far. I broke it down to lube as I heard Diana's are notoriously "dry" inside and the hardware was dated 2018.

To my suprise there is a 240mm piston inside that looks to only stroke about 90mm. Is this a longer piston for detuning after all?

Does anyone know a good source for Diana parts? I think the BAM and XS28 are based on a T05 design. Does anyone know if the piston in either clone will latch with the aear in T06?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:39 am 

I happen to know that d&l airgun stocks parts for the 350, including pistons with seals for $30. I can verify the stroke and piston length for you...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:44 am 

86TSiGuy wrote:
Just as the title suggests; I'm wondering if I buy a D350 495dps version now to shoot as is, can I bring it back up to full power later easily? Full disclosure I'm waiting on my PAL due to the backlog. I'd really like to do some shooting before the weather turns for the year and do some basic firearms safety withy 19yo. However I was planning on buying the 350 in full power. So if I buy the 395fps now is it simply a vortek kit to get it back up or did Diana do some other modifications, i.e. short piston, vent holes, different internal compression diameter, etc? :?:

A slightly more general question would be, could you do this for pretty much any gun?

Generally the answer to that is no. If the gun requires a PAL at purchase, you can do it. If the gun does not require a PAL at purchase, modifying it to 500+ fps would not be okay, legally speaking.

At least, that's my understanding of the situation. Since the Diana 350 is a PAL-required rifle, you are fine.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:52 am 

delooper wrote:
86TSiGuy wrote:

A slightly more general question would be, could you do this for pretty much any gun?

Generally the answer to that is no. If the gun requires a PAL at purchase, you can do it. If the gun does not require a PAL at purchase, modifying it to 500+ fps would not be okay, legally speaking.

At least, that's my understanding of the situation. Since the Diana 350 is a PAL-required rifle, you are fine.

To the OP short answer is yes.

Actually as long as you have a PAL. It is fully legal to modify an air rifle over 500 FPS. Many here have been doing it for decades, as you can normally find SUB 500 airguns on clearance and on sale, and mod it for way less than it PAL rated variant. Now you cannot take a PAL rated and detune it to non PAL, as far as I can remember. Believe the RCMP see it once a firearm always a firearm. Same as Why 2240/13xx/2250s are always considered a handgun, even if it been modified with a stock and long barrel.

There are grey areas like Crosman 2260, as it never came into Canada as Sub 500. When many use the maintubes for SUB 500 2240 builds to avoid them being a "handguns" But if they really wanted could attempt to charge you with a unlicensed firearm, till they can prove it isn't. But many of our laws are in the Grey.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:01 am 

Thanks for the replies. Just to clarify I have my PAL, I was just waiting for the backlog to clear from the pandemic. It turns out there was a longer piston for the detuned models. With the correct piston and pg3 kit, it is making roughly 18-19fpe in 177. Is that about stock output? Is anyone interested in short stroke piston?

Attachments:
File comment: Original short stroke piston vs. standard D350 piston.
20211014_080049.jpg
20211014_080049.jpg [ 157.83 KiB | Viewed 756 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:37 am 

86TSiGuy wrote:
It turns out there was a longer piston for the detuned models. Is anyone interested in short stroke piston?

Well, i'll be a monkey's uncle. I have never seen such a modified piston, although it seems reasonable to do it that way. I have seen longer latch rods and weaker/cut springs, and of course Crosman's long piston, but never seen a piece added to the front of the piston like that.
i found the long piston method of detuning to give a nice mild shot cycle, i may give it a try in my D34 which does have regular piston and weak spring. I haven't opened my D48 so I don't know what inside, long piston or cut spring.. it does shoot smooth though.
Your power level with the kit seems reasonable, as long as you can place the shot where you intend it to go. These rifles are capable of even more power 20-22 FPE not unheard of, but may be harsh shot cycle on you and your scopes (note plural). :drinkers:

))))----//----------==

Iacio ergo sum