Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:43 pm 

Hey all,

Was out today at the range, probably the 4th time now. I feel I got my Bushnell scope zeroed quite well, I guess it will never be 100 % even at 20 yards... which leads me to my next question.

I found Gamo Hunter pellets a really tight fit in the Umarex Ruger 10/22 drum... and I found Crosman premier pointed tips so loose they will fall out during loading...

The gun is either 450 or 490 FPS, given I want a dome-shaped pellet for accuracy, I'm wondering which brand/make and size (grain, mm) will work best for accuracy? I'm eyeing stuff like JSB Match, JSB Exact, etc.

is the mm a factor? as I said diff pellets seem to fit differently in the red drum.

P.S I find a lot of the shipping prices online ridiculously, anyone know the cheapest shipping to Canada or within Canada?

Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:55 pm 

According to the power of the gun (sub 500fps non PAL), and JSB you want, I would recommend the JSB Exact RS, the lightest JSB domed shape pellet .

It's high quality and accurate, usually even the picky gun would like.

Regarding the 4.48mm or 4.52mm... Looks there's not many choices for the RS... Anyway I don't think you need to sort down to that level for the UX 10/22 pellet rifle...

And for the source and you are in BC, don't think buying from the other side of the country (like Toronto or say our forum store) is a good idea as extra shipping charges and delivery time is a must... Always try to buying from local is a good idea to me... However I only know D&L is in BC and have no idea about anyone else... Maybe some other good shooters in the West Coast can chime in and provide infos~

Edit, adding the link...

https://dlairgun.com/collections/jsb-pe ... o-exact-rs

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:17 pm 

Hey Thanks!

Was just out today at our only 3 shops that sell pellets, bbs,.... Almost all wadcutter or pointed tips or hollow tips or destroyer or gimmick stuff. Did not find one true round head. I found Gamo Hunters were pretty good but now sold out.

Did see some RWS and Hobby sport wadcutters, but I'm not after wadcutters. I guess online ordering it is and thank you for the recommendation.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:22 pm 

JSB domed pellets are made in multiple sizes for a 'custom' fit. Use the one that shoots best, is all.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:34 pm 

I found that size is not the main factor with the Ruger 10/22 magazines. I've tried 3 different sizes: H&N FTT 8.65 gr, 4.50 mm, JSB Exact 8.44 gr, 4.52 mm and JSB Exact RS 7.33 gr, I think they're 4.51 mm. The H&N are the hardest to insert, despite them being the smallest, BUT they have harder lead than JSBs. The JSB Exact RS is the easiest to insert, closely followed by the Exact 8.44. I get pretty good accuracy with the JSBs, the best being the RS 7.33 grains in my rifle. Crosman pellets are indeed always a too loose fit in the mag, but the few I shot gave decent accuracy, the pointed surprised me by being the best of the Crosman.

Here's a pic of the three pellets I tried, pushed through the mag. You can see they're all pretty deeply engraved.

Attachments:
Pellets.JPG
Pellets.JPG [ 69.44 KiB | Viewed 1133 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:43 pm 

You mean pushed through the barrel, I expect, thus the rifling marks
with the right hand pellet being the heaviest engraving on the nose.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:53 pm 

Daryl wrote:

No Daryl, only pushed manually through the round magazine. The pellets in the picture never saw the barrel's rifling, they are only engraved from the small ''ribs'' in the mag cavities:

Attachments:
Magazine.JPG
Magazine.JPG [ 39.37 KiB | Viewed 1120 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:02 pm 

Still new to the air rifle/ballistic thing... I couldnt figure out why both my Gamo red fired and crssman pointed tips were flying all over the place, except maybe 1/8 shots or a few tight groupings here and there...

I think I found out why.

I was using a sled with padding, but the Ruger 10/22 doesn't fit snug so it still had a lot of play, and then the sled was on an incline, and my target was slightly uphill. (at the range).... but I decided today to pin the target to the bottom of the board (20 yards) so try and get the sled leveled easier... I think that was a mistake. Was using a Bushnell .22 scope.... and the pellets were almost always hooking downwards, except sometimes it would hit a bullseye which I think is because on some shots I jerked the gun upwards whens shooting...

Make any sense?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:48 pm 

Usually the true fact is not that complicated....
Just try a little bit closer? S maybe 10 yards, or even 6 yards to see if it can group... Find the better fit pellet first, then make sure scope everything is fine and keeps zero... Then you just get boring and you can start to shoot longer and longer distance...

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:05 pm 

airmec wrote:
Daryl wrote:

No Daryl, only pushed manually through the round magazine. The pellets in the picture never saw the barrel's rifling, they are only engraved from the small ''ribs'' in the mag cavities:

I wondered if this was the 'case' when I posted my above post, but could not "see" the little posts inside the magazine until your last picture.
Interesting dilemma.
Same with any gun though, try a bunch and use what's best.

aftershock, the use of a (lead) "sled" may not produce the best results. How "fierce" is the recoil? :wink:

When shooting, you still have to align the gun and squeeze the trigger properly or poor shooting is the result - with any pellet.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:07 am 

Ruger 10/22 is not a Target rifle. It is the slowest speed of all my airguns and not even close to 495 FPS. I shoot crosman wadcutters pellets just fine out of mine. I use a toggle switch as a pellet seater and the pellets snap into red clip. Gun was made as a pop can plinker and not as an accurate Target shooter. Plink away at short distances and don't expect to much from the 10/22. Bought mine to shoot 15 feet with open sights when I don't feel like opening my walk in attic door when snow is on my roof in the winter time for my 33 foot range.

Ruger 10/22 pellet rifle is on Trudeau's ban list as a replica. As Krista Freeland said, "We are banning any gun that looks scary". Wrap your head around that comment. :roll:

CHEERS!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:13 pm 

just bought his rifle for a friends boy, he will love it

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:59 pm 

Jefferson wrote:
just bought his rifle for a friends boy, he will love it

It is a fun gun to shoot with open sites. Less than 15 yards shoot with back sight down. More than that then flip rear sight back up. That is what I bought mine for. He will love it.