Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:26 am 

my 953 is starting to leak around the o ring seals i believe.

If I do a slow pump (like if I take 3+ seconds to do the compression stroke), I can hear the air leak past the seal...

I have the proper #116 size o ring, but just the standard black nitrile ones... Will they work in a pinch?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:32 am 

From what I understand, the nitrile orings are good for static seals. 90 duro are harder and can have a harder time sealing, being more sensitive to surface flaws or machine tolerance.
70 duro are probably the standard orings supplied with the gun. I'm just guessing.
They are a little softer and seal easier. They also wear out faster and are easier to damage when disassembling.

I have been experimenting with urethane orings, they are very tough and resist abrasion. Apparently they resist co2 penetration as well. They work great as dynamic seals, like pistons and bolt probes, maybe valve spools and such.

You should be ok with a standard orings. It's a single stroke pneumatic? Is the failing seal on the valve body or is it on the piston?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:53 pm 

i believe it's on the valve body. single pump pneumatic.

moot point.... googled and called a shop called "Regional Hose" They have offices in Kitchener and Cambridge. Kitchener had no stock, but said Cambridge had 160 of them. Went to Cambridge as it's only about 10 minutes further and picked up 10 o rings 90 duro for $1.80 after tax. Kitchener could have had them delivered from Cambridge for tomorrow, but today's my day off.

Had to raid the change mug on the dresser, but I got it covered.

I also needed an excuse to get out of the house.... Been working part-time from home since Sept 19.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:16 pm 

Fixed... Image

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:34 pm 
Site Moderator

The nitrile o-rings are available in 70 and 90 durometer hardness, as well as other hardness. I have used both the 70 and 90 on my P17 pistons and didn't notice a difference. As was said, the 90 would likely last longer. Viton is another o-ring material option that might work.