Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: 2240 strange piercing
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:31 pm 

My 2240 has suddenly started piercing the CO2 cartridge differently.
It used to make a "regular " hole in the cartridge, but for the last 3 it is making more of a pinhole.
I will try to capture a picture to show two side by side.
It doesn't appear to have changed the way it shoots, but I am concerned if it gets just a bit smaller it will not work at all.
Any ideas what I should check?
I have never had this gun apart yet.
I am planning to use it in the match at HAHA on Saturday so do not have much time and don't want it to fail during the match.
Thanks
Rob27 Image

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:09 am 

might be the valve stem piercing tip is getting worn down or not as pointy because you say it shoots the
same so your hammer spring must be ok then, the hammer is what pushes the valve stem
to pierce the CO2, either way if the hole is big or smaller your still getting the same amount of co2
pressure on a 2240 if it was blocked then that's deferent

Attachments:
fc680512c0d0985cf26e6c907c9a5668.jpg
fc680512c0d0985cf26e6c907c9a5668.jpg [ 92.2 KiB | Viewed 814 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:10 am 
Supporting Members

Is your end cap bottoming out when tightening?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:34 am 

Ace wrote:
might be the valve stem piercing tip is getting worn down or not as pointy because you say it shoots the
same so your hammer spring must be ok then, the hammer is what pushes the valve stem
to pierce the CO2, either way if the hole is big or smaller your still getting the same amount of co2
pressure on a 2240 if it was blocked then that's deferent
Thank you for that excellent picture! That will really help me when I find some time to get inside it.
The hole is now smaller, but still looks sharp. My guess was that something had come loose and either the pointy bit was not being pushed as far forward as it used to, or the cartridge was not being held as firmly against it.
The end cap is not bottomed out. I have always been careful not to overtighten it but yesterday gave it a bit extra torque and the hole appears to be marginally larger- but so close that it might just be my wishful thinking.
I will not likely take it apart today since I do not have a backup and do not want to mess anything up before the match tomorrow. It is a fun shoot, but I still want to be able to complete it.
I will dig in after Saturday and see what I can find.
Thanks again!
Rob27

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:00 am 

My guess is the C02 valve face seal. They tend to get hard over time, and retain it shape compressed. Forcing you to tighten more ( Hence why it opened up more when you tightened it more )

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:09 am 

I noticed one more thing but not sure if that's just normal... The difference between the two tips of the co2 capsule, besides the hole size, I see the one on the right hand side looks messier than the left one which have a bigger hole and cleaner cut...

Anything around the pierce valve stem makes impact or contact on the co2 tip too?

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:02 am 

YepYep wrote:
I noticed one more thing but not sure if that's just normal... The difference between the two tips of the co2 capsule, besides the hole size, I see the one on the right hand side looks messier than the left one which have a bigger hole and cleaner cut...

Anything around the pierce valve stem makes impact or contact on the co2 tip too?
Thanks.
I noticed that as well. I think that it is just cosmetic from the manufacturing process. I will look for a more pristine cartridge to use next to see if comes out differently.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:09 am 

leadslinger wrote:
My guess is the C02 valve face seal. They tend to get hard over time, and retain it shape compressed. Forcing you to tighten more ( Hence why it opened up more when you tightened it more )
Hmm, it has been a while since I used this gun..... you may be onto something.

Thanks Leadslinger for this suggestion - now that you have said it , it sounds like such a logical thing that I should have thought of first.

I know that there are likely a dozen posts that describe where to get replacement seals, I will search for them.

Thanks all for your help and suggestions.

Rob27

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:16 am 

Rob27 wrote:
leadslinger wrote:
Hmm, it has been a while since I used this gun..... you may be onto something.

Thanks Leadslinger for this suggestion - now that you have said it , it sounds like such a logical thing that I should have thought of first.

I know that there are likely a dozen posts that describe where to get replacement seals, I will search for them.

Thanks all for your help and suggestions.

Rob27

I'll make it easy.

https://crosman.ca/cen/g397-012-chamber-plug-face.html

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:41 pm 

Are the two CO2 cartridges pictured in the original post made by the same manufacturer?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:50 pm 

Leonardj wrote:
Are the two CO2 cartridges pictured in the original post made by the same manufacturer?
Yes, from the same package of 25 Crosman cartridges.
I just looked at the two that remain in that package and see major differences on the end. One looks like it came from a completely different manufacturer, let alone from the same box.
I will try attach a pic.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:02 pm 

Rob27 wrote:
Leonardj wrote:
Yes, from the same package of 25 Crosman cartridges.
I just looked at the two that remain in that package and see major differences on the end. One looks like it came from a completely different manufacturer, let alone from the same box.
I will try attach a pic.

If the two powerlets in the original pic correspond with the two remaining powerlets, (one of each) it could well be that the one that looks like it came from a different manufacterer has a harder, or thicker, piercing seal.
I have seen this happen before. That is why I asked.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:52 pm 

i was thinking the same thing Len
could be a bad batch, if you have any deferant Co2 id try that first
also im not a fan of the bottle cap style Co2's :|
one's on the left of your last pic