Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Slugs in the Leishy 2
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:28 am 

Has anyone tried shooting slugs in the Leishy 2?

Will try to assemble data on what works here, to help people avoid buying the wrong slugs. Unfortunately, most of the slugs that would appear to work in the Leishy 2 appear to be sold-out at present.

Most Leishy 2's have Lothar-Walther barrels (although some appear to have Alfa Precision barrels).

If the AGS website is to be believed, the Walthers ask for 0.217 sized slugs for the 0.22 cal or 5.5mm barrel.

The magazine is 10.8mm deep, so you need the slugs to be shorter than that to fit the magazine. 10.8mm is approximately 0.425".

If that's the case, the NSA 33gr HP-FB is getting close to the largest-size slug the Leishy 2 can handle, in .22. https://canadashootingsupply.ca/product ... -size-217/

Found a little NSA Youtube video where they test various .30 cal slugs in the Leishy 2: https://youtu.be/VKtOYjHuzVQ

Any first hand information would be great.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:21 am 

I shoot cast slugs in .25 in mine. They are the 41gn. BBT from NOE and sized to .2525” as that’s the biggest that will fit in the magazine. It’s got plenty of power on tap if I turn up the regulator but I leave it set to shoot at 42FPE because it still sees pellets.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 7:47 pm 

I had been noticing many of my .30 cal slugs were slipping through my magazines.

I had been using a hammer on the nose of the slugs to slightly deform their "skirt", to get a snug fit in my magazines.

Then I noticed Edgun is making slightly tighter .30 cal magazines for slugs.

https://youtu.be/GKkzElonsiA

My impression is .30 cal pellets fit the .30 cal magazines well, but slugs are slightly smaller. I wonder if this means there will be .30 slug barrels in the future, or if the barrel diameter is okay.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:20 pm 

I have not seen this post earlier so sorry if my comments will drift you in any way. I see your OP was somewhere from Sep.
I don't think you had made any positive progress with slugs but if you did pls give me some good news.

Just to recap the slugs story, I've been following the L2 discussions for several months in some other Forums, also I switched to shooting slugs (in my Impact MK2) 2-3 months ago, so I may bring some value to the post.

- First, the L2 is a shoot through mag gun, the mag was designed for pellets skirts and that doesn't mean just any pellets skirts but only a very specific pellet skirt I don't remember exactly what Brand. So in example if you don't want to use that exact specific Brand but JSB in example the performance suffers. If you make it work somehow through some extensive tuning but you switch to other Brand like Premier = the performance suffers. Again the road block is the magazine (dimensions also shoot through). You can still do manual feed and only then the gun can shine.

- Second, the slugs are dimensionally different, if you try to force shooting slugs through a L2 mag = the performance suffers. Again the road block is the magazine (dimensions also shoot through). You can still do manual feed and only then the gun can shine.

- Third and maybe the most important - shooting slugs...became a trend or call it fashion, also good to have when the pellets shelf's are empty. But that BC what people talking about comes to play only at longer distances.
I don't care what your intentions to shoot but "DO YOU KNOW" that up to 70-80 meters the pellets are still more precise vs slugs ??? Confirmed, there is a data, you can check this if you wish google is a best friend. The slugs will start shine vs pellets only @ 100 meters and beyond for precision shooting.

- Fourth, the Leshiy2 is not a precision target gun that you will be shooting long ranges, Amen. It was not designed for that.
Yes, we can use it in many different games but you don't expect to score cards with it, not long distances, so again getting back for best using pellets.

OK, this shall be long enough post for today we may come back to the OP, but pretty much all covered. And btw YES I have a L2 and I did some mods to it for shooting speed silhouettes.
Any potential buyers don't feel discouraged by this above, yes the Leshiy2 is a very unique designed semi auto and it is extremely fun to play with ;)