Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:24 pm 

walther wrote:
Here is completely different take on exercise. Shooting at that levels requires extreme calmness. I had friends that used a biofeedback device to learn how to control their BETA rates. Even beta blocker drugs have been used by target shooters. Meditation can help you control beta rate, as you calm your heart and your breathing your shots will be more accurate

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/2875053/

Meditation is OK. Beta blockers surely helpful and that is the reason they are officially considered DOPING for shooters! The only scientific proved feature for Olympic pistol is finger strength and a little bit strength of deltoid muscle of the shooting hand. That's all.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:55 pm 

never said it was legal just explaining that they work. lol
The bio feedback route is effective if you can get a machine.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:59 pm 

[quote="Sergei1950The only scientific proved feature for Olympic pistol is finger strength and a little bit strength of deltoid muscle of the shooting hand. That's all.[/quote]

That is very simplistic and inaccurate statement.
Shooting is all about focussed mental state and concentration .
any toddler can pull 1.5 lb trigger lol

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 2:36 am 

walther wrote:
[quote="Sergei1950The only scientific proved feature for Olympic pistol is finger strength and a little bit strength of deltoid muscle of the shooting hand. That's all.

any toddler can pull 1.5 lb trigger lol[/quote]
Empty words just to say something ))) No one shoot just by "mental power" ))) Sorry, my friend, no toddler or kid (and not many teenagers and adults) can pull 1,5 lb trigger while holding pistol in extended hand ACCURATELY enough to hit at least "9" on regular basis 60 times in slightly more than one hour. Do you have reasons to ignore contemporary scientific sport articles? I will be more than happy to hear you arguments against Olympic teams coaches.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:21 am 

Sergei1950 wrote:
walther wrote:
[quote="Sergei1950The only scientific proved feature for Olympic pistol is finger strength and a little bit strength of deltoid muscle of the shooting hand. That's all.

any toddler can pull 1.5 lb trigger lol

Empty words just to say something ))) No one shoot just by "mental power" ))) Sorry, my friend, no toddler or kid (and not many teenagers and adults) can pull 1,5 lb trigger while holding pistol in extended hand ACCURATELY enough to hit at least "9" on regular basis 60 times in slightly more than one hour. Do you have reasons to ignore contemporary scientific sport articles? I will be more than happy to hear you arguments against Olympic teams coaches.[/quote]troll away

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:35 am 

This has been a pretty interesting thread, with lots of opinions and information.

Kind of disappointed that if someone disagrees and asks for more information, they are called a troll.

Bad form.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 11:36 am 

Mac wrote:
This has been a pretty interesting thread, with lots of opinions and information.

Kind of disappointed that if someone disagrees and asks for more information, they are called a troll.

Bad form.
Bad form. lol i’ve been a target shooter For over 35 years. i’ve been range officer at two pb gun clubs, had my instructors license for the handgun safety course and used to teach it , have R permit ipsc black badge since the 90’s , and competed in both rifle pistol 10m.
“ He”continued on the same thread that mental aspect of shooting has nothing to do with target shooting. He could not be more wrong. anyone that does not understand the mental aspect of Bullseye target shooting doesn’t understand the sport. I have several friends that competed in biathalon and they will tell you mental acuity and controlling breathing and calmness is what wins , assuming you have a finger and muscles to hold a gun and some good fine motor skills.I can only assume he never really listened to any Olympic coaches.
sorry if this upset you.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 12:43 pm 

Upset, no. If you will read what Sergei wrote, he said that you cannot shoot by "mental power" alone, which I think you would agree with. You said you cannot shoot well without the mental component, which I am quite sure he would agree with. The two of you are not all that different. If you take into account the language difference component, cut a little slack for that, you probably have more in common than you think.

I work out very vigorously every other day to maintain core strength and overall body strength just because I feel good when I do so. I work on the mental component of life and shooting every day. Even if I did not shoot at all competitively, I would do the same. I like listening to what others emphasize in their training/life and will offer my opinion, while not trying to force my opinion on anyone. I feel no need to justify my opinion, because it is just that, my opinion.

Carry on. :drinkers:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 3:09 pm 

I think shooting is as much a mental game as a physical game.
- To have a one good target is one thing, do maintain the streak over 60 (or 120) shot is something else.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 3:50 pm 

I agree with you, Mike. In my experience, there are a lot of folks with the physical ability to shoot top scores, but very few with the mental game that allows them to do so.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 4:19 pm 

When I was focused on competitive archery I mostly just shot and did a minimum amount of work on the mental game, which was by far my weakest component. I had a shooting partner who had significantly worse physical technique but his mental game was unstoppable. I usually won but not by a lot, I had the luxury of more practice time. Total mental control was never there for me even on my best days but the scores were excellent (I've placed at nationals in my category against people who've shot worlds).
I don't shoot my bow as much now but my mental game is MUCH better, my scores probably aren't as good but I'm in control almost every shot. I'd say 50% of the reason is because I'm much fitter than I used to be. My body is more conditioned to deal with stress and my resting heart rate is under 60.
No shooting sport is particularly physical, with archery and positional rifle being the most physical. I didn't "need" my improved fitness to shoot my bow well. But the mental conditioning that is improved through fitness is a significant thing. I doubt you'll find any Olympic shooting coach who isn't having their athletes working through a significant physical training program.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 4:32 pm 

When you compare it to other sport, rowing as an example.
- I'd say it's 40/60 mental vs physical force. You need the strength and endurance to move the boat and need the mental force to endure the pain and maintain the effort even though your body is trying to tell you otherwise, al the while maintaining a good technic.

I'd put shooting airgun at 80/20
- Holding the gun isn't that strenuous
- The challenge is staying focus for every shot, and recover your focus should you make a bad shot.
- Personally, I've found that being in good shape help reduce the bad shots, which in turn helps to stay focus.

Funny that you brought up archery, we picked-it up when we moved to the edge of no-where. As there are no bullseye/10M league within driving distance... but we have a local archery club. Shooting recurve is much more physical than pistol/rifle. The first 30 arrows are a breeze... than after I have to remind myself to focus on the shoulder/elbow/grip...
- I don't remember the last time I jerked a shot outside of the target shooting air pistol... Shooting a recurve at 50M and 70M, seems to happen every summer :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 4:55 pm 

I do not think many people realize how much of the physical aspect is mental. I have been quite fit my entire life, but at 72, it requires much more mental discipline than it did when I was younger. It is so easy to stop at fewer reps or skip some days, but if your mental state does not allow you to do that, your success rate is much better. Whatever your estimate of the mind/body ratio, if one is weak, the other suffers and therefor, you do not perform at your optimum level. Much easier to say than to do. :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 5:01 pm 

Maintaining mental acuity for the entire match is but one aspect although a very important aspect of target shooting/competition. Being able to maintain the necessary physical component takes conditioning of all the muscle groups involved, including the heart and organs like the lungs.
I used to practice trigger control by double action dry firing my revolvers (.38 service and .44magnum) at animals on the TV screen - it was very good "practice".
DA shooting became my preferred method of shooting them.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:58 pm 

Daryl wrote:
Maintaining mental acuity for the entire match is but one aspect although a very important aspect of target shooting/competition. Being able to maintain the necessary physical component takes conditioning of all the muscle groups involved, including the heart and organs like the lungs.
I used to practice trigger control by double action dry firing my revolvers (.38 service and .44magnum) at animals on the TV screen - it was very good "practice".
DA shooting became my preferred method of shooting them.

I think it is very useful discussion. "If you can measure it, you can't manage it". So, please, give me exercises that can MEASURE "mental power" necessary for good target shooting. I want to be sure I am on the right track. I am serious, no jokes. I would like to have them.

PS. Totally agree with Daryl. Practice with double action PM (Makarov) dry firing on regular basis.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next