Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 11:30 pm 

grantmac wrote:
No shooting sport is particularly physical

Biathlon is a shooting sport but I get what you mean. What I will say is having good cardio sure doesn't hurt your shooting and there are many side benefits like durability mental and physical with the likelihood of longer higher quality of life. I agree with Sergei, been a useful and enlightening conversation.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 4:49 am 

jckstrthmghty wrote:
grantmac wrote:
No shooting sport is particularly physical

Biathlon is a shooting sport but I get what you mean. What I will say is having good cardio sure doesn't hurt your shooting and there are many side benefits like durability mental and physical with the likelihood of longer higher quality of life. I agree with Sergei, been a useful and enlightening conversation.

Just want to add that so-called "mental power" is not someting pure spiritual or shamanic )) In modern schience there many tangible ways to measure "mental powers" ))) . For example fMRI (functional MRI). I am in contact with guys from Israel who studied effect of some exercises on functional anatomical structures of the brain.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 8:45 am 

Just about any book/training on "stress management" will do.

When I was a kid, I had the luck to be coached by Joe Daigle and Edson Warner (both winners of the Queen's medal at Bisley)
- They had us shoot in the most atrocious weather, they'd mess with our mind by having us switch relays at the last minutes. Got us to use a different rifle for no apparent reason...

Back then I didn't realize it, but it certainly helped us "manage" our stress and deal with unplanned event. By the time we got to the competitions, not much would bother us... as we'd seen it all, and that was just another match :partyman:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 12:32 pm 

Wow, I’m diggin’ this thread. I think about these things a lot. I’m way more green than a lot of you but I have some knowledge of movement, and strength. The physical, mental and emotional aspects of any effort are completely joined. You can try and divide them by percentage ? but it’s moot. They’re indivisible parts of a same thing.

I’ve been enjoying offhand shooting a lot lately. I’ve thought of building muscle strength for it. I have some understanding of slow-twitch and fast-twitch muscle. I’m starting to do some strength exercises. It’s cool.

Core is king. If you lack core strength, you’re hobbled, in any effort. No question.

I have some cardio strength, it’s part of why I’ve started shooting this past year; what to do with my cardio strength as I age?

I was shying away from interest in biathlon. The olympic facility from 2010 is 2 hrs drive from me. You can pay to use it. Recently, I had another look at biathlon on youtube, the men’s 15km event from whistler 2010. Pretty freakin’ awesome. It’s shooting.

.177 Cometa Fusion, Vantage 3-9x40
.177 Cometa Fenix LT, Endurance 4-16x50
.22 Cometa Fenix, Airmax 3-9x40

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 1:41 pm 

Biggest challenge shooting off-hand, is to accept that the gun will always be moving.
- Once that is done, you just need to figure out your cycle... and live with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SBjVAvJTLE

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 2:13 pm 

Certainly would be great to have a cycle that small. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 2:40 pm 

grantmac wrote:
No shooting sport is particularly physical, .

Sorry but Biathalon is as physical as it gets. Also IPSC is very physical as well via running, crouching , climbing , laying down all while pointing a very dangerous weapon safely timed and scored on accuracy.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 4:59 pm 

eSteve wrote:

I was shying away from interest in biathlon. The olympic facility from 2010 is 2 hrs drive from me. You can pay to use it. Recently, I had another look at biathlon on youtube, the men’s 15km event from whistler 2010. Pretty freakin’ awesome. It’s shooting.

If you have a repeater (air rifle) and a air biathlon target, you could try this at home.
- Can't seem to find the English version of the file?

https://706aircadets.ca/builder/uploads ... uellec.pdf

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 8:57 pm 

sillymike wrote:
Biggest challenge shooting off-hand, is to accept that the gun will always be moving.
- Once that is done, you just need to figure out your cycle... and live with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SBjVAvJTLE

Cool! That young lady is a good shot.
I just can't stand like that any more, due to back injury. I used to do that - was a decent shot, back then.

The trace on the target is almost exactly what I saw when testing a 22 pound bench rest .308, standing 10 shot group
at 100 yards, back in 73. It had a 24X Leuy scope on it. The rifle was so heavy, it dropped through the target. It's 2 ounce
trigger was easily fired as the cross hairs dropped down through the 10 ring. I had one shot break a low 9. So, 99 6X, standing,
at 100 yards.
LOL- those days are long gone. Oh - to be 23years old again.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 7:52 am 

It's all about enjoying what you can, while you can.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 3:02 pm 

I can still shoot reasonably well using this position for offhand (shooting off the hands)
This rifle actually has "some" recoil, unlike ANY air rifles. It is my muzzleloading match rifle.

Attachments:
aiming.jpg
aiming.jpg [ 269.22 KiB | Viewed 1310 times ]
aiming n shooting 140gr.jpg
aiming n shooting 140gr.jpg [ 232.43 KiB | Viewed 1310 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 7:48 pm 

walther wrote:
grantmac wrote:
No shooting sport is particularly physical, .

Sorry but Biathalon is as physical as it gets. Also IPSC is very physical as well via running, crouching , climbing , laying down all while pointing a very dangerous weapon safely timed and scored on accuracy.

Biathlon is a skiing sport with some shooting, take away the skiing and the shooting isn't physically difficult.

Either way fitness improves shooting performance regardless of how much effort the shooting takes.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 8:02 pm 

Go all out for 5km, then try to focus to hit 5 targets at 50M (45mm prone & 115mm standing)... repeat four time :rock:
- Yeah, the shooting part is easy, if you don't take into account the exertion and fatigue

To put thing into perspective, 45mm is about the 8-ring on a 50M ISSF rifle target.
- 115mm is about the size of the black

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 6:49 am 

Daryl wrote:
Interesting, but strengthening the muscles to help holding the pistol up, is part and parcel of training.
If you had a 3 to 5 pound weight and held it out at arms length when standing, for a 5 second count, repeat
every 1-2 minutes to build strength.
You need to build forearm, shoulder, chest and back strength.

Swinging weights attached to the pistol. Stupid idea?

Attachments:
кросман.JPG
кросман.JPG [ 121.65 KiB | Viewed 1243 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 10:58 am 

Sergei1950 wrote:
Swinging weights attached to the pistol. Stupid idea?
No, I think it's brilliant. I should do that. Work it man, you're awesome

.177 Cometa Fusion, Vantage 3-9x40
.177 Cometa Fenix LT, Endurance 4-16x50
.22 Cometa Fenix, Airmax 3-9x40

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next