Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:52 pm 

What about laying on the back and aiming the cealing? I would like to place the target on the cealing ))) but probably dry-shots are good enough. It is pretty good to take away the load from upper-body part and to focus on sights and trigger control. May be I am just "inventing the bicycle", but I surely designed it myself ))

Last edited by Sergei1950 on Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:21 pm 

i like it.

laying on the back, with gravity taken out of the equation, (pulling the gun down,) so assuming the total balance/gun at pinnacle of the pyramid pose/stance, the mind's eye may get?/gets a picture of what total focus to sights, and trigger control and follow-through looks and feels like...

now we 'd know what to strive for.

discuss. :drinkers:

Tracey Wilson, CCFR

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:25 pm 

I am just learning german verbs with prepositions (my hobby is languages) laying on my coach with my Crosman 1377 near me. Time to time dry-shoot seiling trying keep the front-sight in right place while shooting and two seconds after )) In this case heavy Crosman's trigger is an advantage. It makes the exercise not so easy. I have discovered I have the tendency to jerk the gun right and slightly up while shooting. But now with some mental concentration I can shoot reasonably correct. No sophisticated equipment ))

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 12:08 pm 

Interesting, but strengthening the muscles to help holding the pistol up, is part and parcel of training.
If you had a 3 to 5 pound weight and held it out at arms length when standing, for a 5 second count, repeat
every 1-2 minutes to build strength.
You need to build forearm, shoulder, chest and back strength.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 2:26 pm 

Well only problem with that, is you're going to build muscle memory, but not strength. In order to build strength you need to practice with something heavier and work up higher and higher.

Like I have one of those hand grip trainers. It is why I have no issues with heavier triggers. I like doing that, so I don't get used to just a light trigger.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:20 pm 

Daryl wrote:
Interesting, but strengthening the muscles to help holding the pistol up, is part and parcel of training.
If you had a 3 to 5 pound weight and held it out at arms length when standing, for a 5 second count, repeat
every 1-2 minutes to build strength.
You need to build forearm, shoulder, chest and back strength.

Dear Daryl, my exercise is to focus on one very important aspect of pistol training : sight and trigger control. By the way, I have designed much more in this "cealing shooting exercise" )))
Yes, I am using shooting air-pistol with additional weights ( slightly more than two pounds) on regular basis. Doing this I am keeping aiming more than normal just to build muscles )) Both arms, of course.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 3:57 pm 

To practice sight focus and concentration and trigger control I simply shoot from a rest position. I take same position than one hand shooting but the weight of the pistol is support by the bag.

At the same time is funny to see my old pistol make x all the time :P

Slavia 630
Daisy 853c
Crosman 422
Beeman p-17
TAU 7
2200 magnum

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 4:40 pm 

Personally, the best way to improve my air-pistol scores, is to do more core exercises

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 4:33 pm 

Did most of those in basic training - but no one looked like that. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:50 pm 

Daryl wrote:

Sorry, but no use of this basic training. Most good Olympic pistol shooters are in very bad shape and some are really overweight ! But they still shoot great. I can beat Champions in most of these exercises, but I can't even shot "black" on regular basis ...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:07 am 

Sergei1950 wrote:
Most good Olympic pistol shooters are in very bad shape

This has not been my experience. Most (all) the competative shooters in my club are in fairly good shape. I think we all understand fitness is neccesary to get the most out of practice with a few members doubling down any given evening. That's two 1:45:00 sessions back to back.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:37 am 

Daryl wrote:

Reminds me of being on a course, and one morning the pay-clerk was in charge of PT... and she had us do aerobic.
- Initially, the guys were all excited (a girl in tights, and we had music for PT)
- - After a few minutes were all to busy trying to breathe and being dismayed at our lack of coordination!

Personally, I shot my best scores the years I was spending the most time on the skiff

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:56 am 

Back injury is common in positional rifle shooting, regularly working on core might not help score but it could keep you in the game a lot longer.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 1:48 pm 

grantmac wrote:
Back injury is common in positional rifle shooting, regularly working on core might not help score but it could keep you in the game a lot longer.

True- as well, working on Cardio helps with the breathing as well. Breathing properly is so very important to good shooting.

I'm with jckstrthmghty as to shooting athlete condition. Perhaps I haven't seen many Olympic pistol shooters.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 3:46 pm 

Here is completely different take on exercise. Shooting at that levels requires extreme calmness. I had friends that used a biofeedback device to learn how to control their BETA rates. Even beta blocker drugs have been used by target shooters. Meditation can help you control beta rate, as you calm your heart and your breathing your shots will be more accurate

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/2875053/