Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:52 pm 

I bought a pair of Crosman Vantage .22 rifles on sale a while back. Learned about adding oil to the chamber and detonation problems with one of them. The other has been sitting due to my not wanting to shoot it with the oil I put in it at the same time as the other.

Crosman Canada has finally got the .177 barrel assembly I ordered back then in stock and in the mail to me. It was cheaper to buy the .22 rifle and a separate .177 barrel assembly than to buy the complete .177 Vantage.

Now that the barrel is on it's way and my Air Venturi spring compressor has been replaced I stripped the Vantage apart today (there is only a couple of mm of preload on the ram). This rifle was brand new and wow, she was filthy inside. Brown oily slop all over the outside of the piston and in the chamber and bore of the main tube. The piston seal was also nicked in several places around it's sealing lip and the piston had a big sharp bur on it's leading edge.

I mopped out the brown stuff and filed down any burs I thought might be present and now she is all clean. I had bought a three spare piston seals as part of getting enough to get the free shipping a while ago so I'll use a new one when I put it back together. The thing I'm loving with these Crosman products (13xx, 22xx, and brake barrels) is that it is so easy to get parts for them. It has been like a Mensa test trying to get the parts I want for my Slavia 630 and Walther Falcon Hunter though I finally have parts coming in from the EU and Australia.

Now I know how dirty this Vantage was I will be compelled to strip the other one down and clean it out as well.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:47 pm 
Site Moderator

Yup, the Chinese Crosman rifles are usually pretty gunky inside. No problem as long as the parts are not broken or damaged. These rifles are still a great deal and usually clean up to be nice shooters.

The preload on my Fury NP strut was very short but it was a bear to compress by hand. The struts seem to be strong all the way through the cocking cycle, unlike a spring where it builds up.

I'm looking forward to hearing about the Vantage rifles you bought. They should shoot quite well and hit hard.