Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:38 pm 

Greetings all,

I've been on the forum a few months now but have not done the introduction.

I grew up in Alberta. My introduction to firearms was shooting rodents on the family farm with my grandfather's Cooey .22. I migrated to pellet guns since I don't really need anything powerful, just pest control and target shooting.

Live on Vancouver Island now. A lot of people seem to really love it out here, and while I like it here, I find myself missing the big blue skies in Alberta, the industry, and the tolerance of people with relatively heterodox ideas. Spent about a third of my life living in other countries, and only recently settled down, back in Canada.

Member of the Victoria Fish & Game Protective Association.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:03 pm 

Welcome to the Island and forum i am in Duncan do all my shooting back side of mount sicker ...............

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:11 pm 

Welcome to the forum.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:20 pm 

Welcome delooper.
Lotsa folks from the prairies say BC's mountains and trees block the view.
:D :rolleyes: :drinkers:

Attachments:
Early Hunting Trip with Julus.JPG
Early Hunting Trip with Julus.JPG [ 399.09 KiB | Viewed 1581 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:21 pm 

Welcome, I'm a temporary islander hold up in Qualicum Beach for a while. :)

))))----//----------==

Iacio ergo sum

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:58 pm 

Airgunner living in Bowser, and do most of my shooting on a homemade range, up the mountain, behind my house.Born and raised in BC, and am now retired, overlooking the Salish sea.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:08 pm 

Nice. My wife and I have talked about a retirement place on the Island (an Island), overlooking the ocean.
Still young enough to put up with PG weather, though.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:25 pm 

I'm hopeful we can eventually afford a place big-enough for a back-yard shooting range. My wife needs to get a few more promotions. . .

We've had our eyes on some big lots in central and north Saanich. Unfortunately we can't get too far from the Saanich penninisula.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:41 pm 

Location: Southern Gulf Islands, Beautiful British Columbia, Canada
Hello delooper,

Welcome to the forum. Not to rain on your parade, but you may find setting up a backyard shooting range anywhere on the Sannich Peninsula, a tall order in terms of local bylaws. Best check the regulations to be sure.

Cheers!

Avianmanor

*Air Arms S510 Extra*Artemis M11 MK II*CZ 200S*Benjamin Marauder*Brocock Concept*Cometa Orion*Daystate Huntsman*Daystate Revere*FX Dreamline*FX Streamline*Hatsan BT65*Kral Puncher*Reximex RPA*QB78D*Weihrauch HW100S*Artemis PP700SA*PP750*Snowpeak CP1-M*

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:41 am 

Avianmanor wrote:
Hello delooper,

Welcome to the forum. Not to rain on your parade, but you may find setting up a backyard shooting range anywhere on the Sannich Peninsula, a tall order in terms of local bylaws. Best check the regulations to be sure.

Cheers!

Avianmanor

Are you saying both Central Saanich and North Saanich have bylaws against it, even on large properties? Ugh. That's too bad. We have not got to the stage of actively looking for a property, so I had not looked into the bylaws.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:38 am 

Avianmanor wrote:
Hello delooper,

Cheers!

Avianmanor

I have a few friends on the Peninsula and they all shoot at the range no back yard shooting aloud same here in Duncan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:24 pm 

Location: Southern Gulf Islands, Beautiful British Columbia, Canada
delooper wrote:

Are you saying both Central Saanich and North Saanich have bylaws against it, even on large properties? Ugh. That's too bad. We have not got to the stage of actively looking for a property, so I had not looked into the bylaws.

Pretty much, sorry to say. Take a look at these links to local bylaws -there are exceptions, so best to review thoroughly. We very much live in a gun shy society now; so much has changed since I was a kid with a BB gun. I believe these bylaws apply to both PAL and non-PAL airguns. You might be able to get a permit for your own private indoor range, if it meets all requirements.

Cheers!

Avianmanor

https://northsaanich.ca/wp-content/uplo ... -Bylaw.pdf

https://www.centralsaanich.ca/sites/def ... rearms.pdf

https://www.saanich.ca/assets/Local~Gov ... 209414.pdf

*Air Arms S510 Extra*Artemis M11 MK II*CZ 200S*Benjamin Marauder*Brocock Concept*Cometa Orion*Daystate Huntsman*Daystate Revere*FX Dreamline*FX Streamline*Hatsan BT65*Kral Puncher*Reximex RPA*QB78D*Weihrauch HW100S*Artemis PP700SA*PP750*Snowpeak CP1-M*

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:04 pm 

Avianmanor wrote:
delooper wrote:

Pretty much, sorry to say. Take a look at these links to local bylaws -there are exceptions, so best to review thoroughly. We very much live in a gun shy society now; so much has changed since I was a kid with a BB gun.

As a child (1910's) my grandfather rode horseback to school, with two revolvers on his hips and a rifle on his back. That was in southern Alberta. Children coming to school on horseback and/or with guns would seem insane to the general population now.

There's also a big chunk of children that mature relatively slowly nowadays. Plop guns down in front of them and they likely wouldn't handle it very well.

I was given my first rifle at around age 10, from the same grandfather. He thought I was too old not to own a rifle.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:22 pm 

"..if they're ten they're men.."

i might come back to this with the contextual story/teaching behind it.

Tracey Wilson, CCFR

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:48 am 

What are the bylaws in Sooke and Sidney? Are they like Ssanich? I am beginning to realize why every accessible and legitimate place outdoors seems to be on the other side of the Malahat. Presumably anyplace indoors at a range requires the vaccine pass as a condition of entry. I honestly thought there would be a closer location when I bought airguns. The guy at Canadian Tire just said "the back forty" when I asked him where I was allowed to shoot them.