Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Wadcutter Pellets
PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:03 pm 
Site Moderator

I found an old tin of Beeman Wadcutter #1230 pellets in my storage box. They seem to shoot pretty good (at 10m) from one of my rifles. They might be a good plinking pellet. These pellets are made in China so I wonder if they are also sold under a different brand name. The black coating doesn't matter but the shape and weight might be an indicator. I wonder if the Daisy WC is the same. It has a different weight listed but maybe the weight is not accurate. Any other guesses?

https://beeman.com/product/beeman-1230- ... ets-500ct/

https://www.daisy.com/product/daisy-177 ... count-tin/

Post subject: Re: Wadcutter Pellets
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:23 am 

The Chinese made Beeman coated pellets are pretty good pellets. I bought a bunch of them from Airgun Depot years ago when the border was open, and $ was close to par. I still have four tins of the 7.2gr hollow points that shoot well in my Fury Springer. I donated a sleeve of the wadcutters to the NOSA junior shooters program. They shot well in the match guns at 10 meters. With the current exchange rate, the border closure, and the increase in cost of those pellets, H&N Sport purchased in Canada is a better value and a better pellet, too.

https://www.airgundepot.com/beeman-177- ... l#PY-P-626

They were $4.99 and every fourth tin free when I bought them.

Nothing works and I don't know why.

Two lathes and too many projects

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:08 pm 

Will the coating gum up the rifling in the barrel?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:21 pm 

"Coated gumming up the barrel"?
I expect the coating is to act as some sort of lubricant.
I would expect no more "gumming" than by dry, pure lead pellets.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:32 pm 
Site Moderator

Nope. No gumming problem. I'm not sure if the coating was some sort of lubricant or an attempt to reduce lead contact with fingers. Back when I shot a .22cal HW45 I would stand up my pellets and spray them with furniture wax and let dry. The wax was a very thin coating that reduced friction in the barrel and also left a micro coating for protection from humidity. After many thousands if pellets I never had a problem with gumming. No accuracy or velocity problems. It probably made the barrel quite slick inside.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:44 am 

The coating is a kind of baked on graphite, I think. It doesn't gum things up or rub off on the barrel or your fingers.
The coating does not like getting wet. If you leave the pellets out in the rain, the coating comes off. I know this from personal experience...

Nothing works and I don't know why.

Two lathes and too many projects

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:52 am 

Not graphite I think, Rick. Likely a moly sprayed or tumbled on. You can do your own. There are several on the market. I've sprayed my .17 cal bullets
& cast bullets for my .25 Condor to cut down on bore deposits and reduce friction. It also has the propensity to increase BC as well, due to somehow
reducing the amount of engraving the rifling impresses into the bore. This was found by Walt Berger, some years back during the Moly craze.
On the market today, is a Moly spray by Lyman called Super moly. This one and MS Moly are the sprays I've used. Hoppe's has a moly spray, but it was
more or a lubricant spray as it wiped off easily. The other ones listed, don't rub off once dry. I also sprayed some cast 450gr. bullets for my .50/70 Sharps
and they did not need extra lubricant when shot with smokeless powder.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:25 pm 

Moly will react the same way, with water. If it (moly) is in a normal steel barrel, moisture can get between it and the barrel and rust the bore.
Good to know this.