Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Bent Pellets Reshaping
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:35 pm 

Hello everyone, I received some pellets with deformed skirts. Hate to throw them out at nearly 5 cents a pop. I thought of a way to reshape them so at least they can be used for plinking with not much lost accuracy.
Tool used:
1. Round tip tool (I used a badminton string adjuster)
2.Pellet sizer
3.Metal twizers
Method:
1. Use metal tweezers to shape the bent skirts as much as possible. Especially the folded over part need to be bent back.
2.Enlarge the skirts by pushing out the skirts using the round tip tool, after this step the skirts should be slightly over-sized.
3.Push the pellet through the pellet sizer. Pushing and turning plunger at the same time.
My results showed that the pellets that are for sure going to be flyers are now good enough to be plinker/practice pellets. As matter of fact, my groups shot with reshaped pellets are almost just as good as good pellets in my limited testing. No flyers at all.ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Feinwerkbau 300S
FX Dreamline Classic
Weihrauch HW100KT FSB
Weihrauch HW97KT
Weihrauch HW50S
Artemis M16
Artemis PP700
Weihrauch HW40
Beeman P17
Stoeger XP4

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:01 pm 

Awesome, you are a very patient and determined man Tom. I think I'd do it for a few pellets then give up.

))))----//----------==

Iacio ergo sum

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:09 pm 

Dukemeister wrote:
Awesome, you are a very patient and determined man Tom. I think I'd do it for a few pellets then give up.
I am very cheap![emoji12]

Feinwerkbau 300S
FX Dreamline Classic
Weihrauch HW100KT FSB
Weihrauch HW97KT
Weihrauch HW50S
Artemis M16
Artemis PP700
Weihrauch HW40
Beeman P17
Stoeger XP4

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:38 pm 

Looks you got a lot of bent it bad shape pellets?? I occasionally find one and just throw it into the used pellet jar...

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:51 pm 

YepYep wrote:
Looks you got a lot of bent it bad shape pellets?? I occasionally find one and just throw it into the used pellet jar...
I think this tin came from a bad shipment.

Feinwerkbau 300S
FX Dreamline Classic
Weihrauch HW100KT FSB
Weihrauch HW97KT
Weihrauch HW50S
Artemis M16
Artemis PP700
Weihrauch HW40
Beeman P17
Stoeger XP4

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:02 pm 

Tom, I am reluctant to respond out of concern that my message will be misinterpreted, but here goes.

As others have expressed, I cannot imagine going through the effort to make tools and to straighten pellets.

That said, and the reasons I am smiling, are that the equipment and skills necessary to construct the tools, would cost me more than a trailer load of pellets. VBG

That said, the skills necessary only come with the dedication, intelligence, and motivation to accomplish fine work.

I love to see these kinds of posts because the provide insight into the remarkable skill and dedication which some possess.

Hat's off to you, sir, and a standing offer to buy lunch if you are in the Chilliwack area.

I deeply appreciate the insight.

Webley Viscount .177
Crossman 1377 Classic Pump .177
Diana Stormrider2 .22
Kral Mega Marine Walnut .22
Artemis PP750 .22
FX Streamline .22 walnut
FX Streamline .22 composite

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:02 am 

Not sure the "Godfather of Airguns" (Tom Gaylord) will be agreeing with you on this matter.

He discards a pellet, if he just dropped it on the floor.

He is a purist in that regard.

But then again, I doubt he actually buys many of the pellets he uses.

I might consider this for some of my cheaper break barrels (as easier to remove a jammed pellet). But certainty not for a more expensive semi-auto pellet gun. Probably not worth the risk of a pellet getting jammed in it, and having to disassemble it to get it out. Or worse, having to take it to my repair guy. The expression "penny wise & pound foolish" comes to mind here.

Maybe better to just wait for the Grizzly pellets to go on sale at Princess Auto. The 500 pack of .177 pellets were recently on sale for $5.99. I bought a couple of packs. They seem to be a bit cleaner & slightly better quality, than in the past.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:41 pm 

I have met people who will discard pellets when they fell on the floor. I guess this post would make them go crazy.

I did this because I hate to waste a unused pellet when only the skirts are deformed. I am also a badminton player. To me a pellet is very much like a shuttlecock. The shape and aerodynamics of it. When the skirts are bent, they don't fly straight. So, my efforts were concentrated on straightening the bent skirts.

With cheap simple tools, I was able to reshape the skirts and made sure they are of same diameter as my pellet sizer when finished (in this case 5.52mm). The skirts were thinner at the rear most edges than stock when I finished with it. However, my limited testing showed no problems with that on POI. No, jamming would not be an issue as after I finished with the pellets, they were actually more consistent than new pellets from the tin, skirt diameter-wise.

I buy pellets in large quantities from various sources. Grizzly pellets at any price would not be in my guns because they don't work.

Thanks for all the kind words and encouragements.

Tom

Feinwerkbau 300S
FX Dreamline Classic
Weihrauch HW100KT FSB
Weihrauch HW97KT
Weihrauch HW50S
Artemis M16
Artemis PP700
Weihrauch HW40
Beeman P17
Stoeger XP4

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:36 pm 

BB1Shooter wrote:
Not sure the "Godfather of Airguns" (Tom Gaylord) will be agreeing with you on this matter.

He discards a pellet, if he just dropped it on the floor.

He is a purist in that regard.

That makes him a purist? If I drop one and pick it up and it's damaged, I do the same. I would certainly not call myself a purist, because of that.
Why shoot it? - It's damaged!

I can see perhaps re-shaping damaged pellets if all you are interested is putting holes in paper or cans, or whatever. If interested in seeing how
well that brand/lot/weight of pellets shoots, I can see absolutely no valid reason for attempting to 'repair' a pellet.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:10 pm 
Site Moderator

I have some pellets that are a bit undersized and pretty much useless unless for accuracy. I wonder if I could expand the skirts a bit to maybe make them useful for 20 yard plinking. I just have to rig up something that will give consistent skirt size after expansion. I don't want to invest in specialized tools to repair a few tins of cheap pellets but maybe something can be made. Hmmm....

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:25 pm 

I like this, maybe not the best use of time but I always appreciate ways to be resourceful and less wasteful.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:18 pm 

Actually, the most expensive tool I used was the pellet sizer which was purchased to see if it can improve accuracy.

Based on my limited testing, you can indeed improve accuracy with a pellet sizer, however at the expense of initial speed/power.

The spherical tipped tool is very similar to the pellet seater made by Nigel Allen of Airgun TV. Again a tool for improving accuracy.

So, I do it with existing tools and a theory that bent skirts can be reshaped. Some may think it is a complete waste of time. I enjoy making something better. Isn't that what a hobby is all about?

Feinwerkbau 300S
FX Dreamline Classic
Weihrauch HW100KT FSB
Weihrauch HW97KT
Weihrauch HW50S
Artemis M16
Artemis PP700
Weihrauch HW40
Beeman P17
Stoeger XP4

Last edited by tom_ke888 on Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:23 pm 

TCooper wrote:
I have some pellets that are a bit undersized and pretty much useless unless for accuracy. I wonder if I could expand the skirts a bit to maybe make them useful for 20 yard plinking. I just have to rig up something that will give consistent skirt size after expansion. I don't want to invest in specialized tools to repair a few tins of cheap pellets but maybe something can be made. Hmmm....
I am sure it can be done.........

Feinwerkbau 300S
FX Dreamline Classic
Weihrauch HW100KT FSB
Weihrauch HW97KT
Weihrauch HW50S
Artemis M16
Artemis PP700
Weihrauch HW40
Beeman P17
Stoeger XP4

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:04 pm 

Normk wrote:
Tom, I am reluctant to respond out of concern that my message will be misinterpreted, but here goes.

As others have expressed, I cannot imagine going through the effort to make tools and to straighten pellets.

That said, and the reasons I am smiling, are that the equipment and skills necessary to construct the tools, would cost me more than a trailer load of pellets. VBG

That said, the skills necessary only come with the dedication, intelligence, and motivation to accomplish fine work.

I love to see these kinds of posts because the provide insight into the remarkable skill and dedication which some possess.

Hat's off to you, sir, and a standing offer to buy lunch if you are in the Chilliwack area.

I deeply appreciate the insight.
Hi Norm,

If I visit BC, we will chat over lunch for sure!

[emoji6]

Feinwerkbau 300S
FX Dreamline Classic
Weihrauch HW100KT FSB
Weihrauch HW97KT
Weihrauch HW50S
Artemis M16
Artemis PP700
Weihrauch HW40
Beeman P17
Stoeger XP4

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:18 pm 

I understand what you are saying and doing from an interest/desire. I've done the same with my muzzleloading accuracy performance as well as going to great lengths
for accuracy & performance with my powder burners, then into wildcats because there wasn't a decent "efficient" cartridge for a particular need or desirable performance/
purpose.
I should not have said "why do it" as different strokes for different folks.
Undersized pellets aren't just undersized in the skirt, seems to me, but undersized in the head diameter as well. Simply expanding the skirts might work, or not, as then perhaps
the length of the skirt comes more into the scenario with it's ability to overcome the undersized head. Experimentation is the only way to find out. Speculation is only just that,
a guess.