Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:24 pm 

I think it is perfectly OK not to be Olympic Champion. But it is worth put some effort trying to achieve your personal "small goals". The problem we all having getting older is loss of competence and at first it is physical condition. I recommend looking at US NRA standards for .177 International Air-pistol. They are attainable, but some work should be done. It starts with bench-rest, advanced supported, standing two hands and one-hand standing. But doing just bench-rest or support shooting is nothing to do with condition. Condition starts with standard one-hand standing. One can get "Sharpshooter" badge doing one hand standing with open-sights 280/400 six times. It will be slightly better that canadian "Novice" standard. NRA Expert starts from 316/400. For "old boys" feeling yourself physically competent is very important. For example, when I was pretty young, at age 68, I made 12 pull-ups (no jerks or swinging movements) and according standards it was considered "Elite". Believe me, I feel very good when recognised that I was more than OK... Why not to test yourself doing 20 shots (or 40) according some objective standard and publish your results here?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:18 am 

Olympic champion? I'm happy when I keep them all in the black.

All joking aside I think this forum is solidly in the fun aspect and is why you do not see online match hosting here. Once in a while people will show results of a session they feel proud of. If you want to see where you measure up there are other sites where they hold self scoring honour based monthly matches. The one I like is targettalk.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:28 am 

jckstrthmghty wrote:
Olympic champion? I'm happy when I keep them all in the black.

All joking aside I think this forum is solidly in the fun aspect and is why you do not see online match hosting here. Once in a while people will show results of a session they feel proud of. If you want to see where you measure up there are other sites where they hold self scoring honour based monthly matches. The one I like is targettalk.
Thanks a lot for information ))

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:58 am 

We have been running monthly postal matches at the American Longrifles dot com site for a year and 1/2 now, even since covid started.
They are called the covid monthly postal matches. Canadians (there are only 4 of us on that forum) won every shoot the first year. It wasn't
until May of last spring that an American won. There are over 100 of them on the forum. I think many of them do most of their shooting on
their keyboards.
The postal matches have been fun.
The winner each month, gets to design and present the next month's shoot. While the Canadians were winning each month, we were giving a
prize to the winner - something related to muzzleloader shooting. The Americans changed that to bragging rights only. I think perhaps many of
them are in "dire straits".

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:13 am 

It isn't me, my rifles are getting older! :drinkers:

))))----//----------==

Iacio, ergo sum

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:24 am 

I love the postal match format. Gives the opportunity and flexiblity to participate where it would not otherwise be possible.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:25 am 

Daryl wrote:
We have been running monthly postal matches at the American Longrifles dot com site for a year and 1/2 now, even since covid started.
They are called the covid monthly postal matches. Canadians (there are only 4 of us on that forum) won every shoot the first year. It wasn't
until May of last spring that an American won. There are over 100 of them on the forum. I think many of them do most of their shooting on
their keyboards.
The postal matches have been fun.
The winner each month, gets to design and present the next month's shoot. While the Canadians were winning each month, we were giving a
prize to the winner - something related to muzzleloader shooting. The Americans changed that to bragging rights only. I think perhaps many of
them are in "dire straits".
Thanks!